Pink Recon

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by hawaiianflyfisher, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,475 / 9
    I'm borrowing someone's hat. Congrats Steve. I like your success and style. Name calling and taking hostile stands against others with differing recreational angling perferences is very unbecoming. Personally, I like nymphing for mine under an indicator and letting it bounce in the chop. Thinkd of it like chironomid fishing from the shore, only on salt water.
  2. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +412 / 0
    What's yer favourite bullhead recipe?

Steve, that would just make your shirt all slimy, and I woudn't do ya like that.

Everyone needs a favourite hat.
    No joke that's how I'm going to let the kidlet fish in the salt....dink float, weight, then either a fly (or two!) or one of the small 1/8oz. jigs she tied up. Should work a treat.
  3. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,690 / 2
    My goals for this season:
    1. Land at least 200 pinks, and photograph every one for a post-season collage.
    2. Get at least one on a dry
    3. Catch two pinks in one cast. I have an advanced tactic Maneuver Im sure will get this done
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Bullhead soup. I make it for my friends when they come over for dinner. My house is normally very quiet. Few return squatters!
  5. Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Lakewood,Wa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    That's just wrong Constructeur ! Why did you have to bring my wife into this????

Really, does it matter how ones desire to( catch and keep ) or ( C & R ) is?? Why on earth do people want to chastise each other? You guys bitching need to wet your lines more!
  6. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    I did no such bitching, I was merely calling him out for insulting the angling choices of a majority of the board members here. I catch and release in some fisheries, I bonk the hell out of them in others. But I think that calling the choice to catch and release "retarded" is downright ignorant, and insulting to the world of conservation-minded anglers.
  7. Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Lakewood,Wa.
    I hear ya Evan but why let a Troll catch you like that? Don't let them get to you bro!
  8. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Eh, it is a side effect of having a somewhat abrasive personality I suppose.
  9. knotabassturd New Member

Federal Way, WA
    Steve- likewise great meeting you out there. Was fun to finally get out and cast a fly rod (oops I mean cast a fly LOL) for a change after so many years not doing much of it at all. Flyfishing was a big deal to me when I was younger. Hope I can get out more often.

I'm kind of with the mindset of the guys C&R being the people I respect the most with flyfishing ('they' also seem to often be the group leaders spurring important projects like stream restoration, conservation practices, and protecting fisheries etc) but I bonk keepers if I get them these days so it ups the chances of getting more fishing time.

Suppose if I had all the time in the world, a chunk of money, no commitments to anyone, and wanted to fish in the northwest that I'd be concentrating on small stream dry fly fishing (C&R trout) and trying to mix in an occassional summer steelhead flyfishing excursion off the beaten path. Maybe something different like sea bass/black rockfish fly fishing out on the N coast or something. And I'd have a nice cigar or a pipe with good tobacco and a flask with some 20 year old Macallan topping it off to celebrate in between casts to let a pool or riffle (or me LOL) rest. Maybe have a once in awhile bigtime trip like Alaska rivers or Christamas Island bonefish flats fishing.
    But that's not gonna happen personally, don't have any cigars, none of The Macallan, no toibacco pipe, and very little flyfishing gear left LOL. Doesn't fit where I'm at right now. It is fun to live vicariously thru others getting some of that done though so have really enjoyed going thru the posts and boards here on Waflyfishing.com.

All this said, I get it if some guys don't want to fish for pinks on a fly to eat or even catch.
    Just like I get a guy spending the time to organize and go down to fish, see a crowd, then turn back and leave simply because fishing and crowd don't fit that person's mindset (even a crowd of one or two). Been there myself at a much younger age. Hope to get there again in older age LOL.

Good luck to everyone out there and Steve, let us know how that pink tastes. You took good care of it to keep that thing fresh! It should make for a great meal!
  10. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Mr. E. You are again my hero. The answer to your question is more than apparent.
  11. Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Lakewood,Wa.
    Aw geez Ed, that means allot from a man of your stature but I'm no hero just a humble man set in his ways.
  12. jcalderon Member

A JUNGLE NEAR YOU
    This is like the oxygen network. My wife would love the shitshow, the romance, and the bitching that has become WFF at times. Just go have fun guys. Seriously.
  13. bombtek79 Member

Fort Lewis
    I couldn't agree with you more jcalderon!!!! i Thought this was a PINK RECON posting not a "lets bitch about everyone and everything." posting. All I want to know is where the pinks are. I was at Posession Point all weekend and I didn't see any pinks up there. Where did anyone else go and see. Shut up with the bitching like women and get to spilling the beans about where the pinks are.
  14. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +343 / 1
    The fish tasted great. There's almost nothing like fresh salmon an a grill. Almost....
  15. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +93 / 0
    It doesn't take much bait to troll
    this thread.

I still like canned pinks.

I just hate the mobs of yahoos that litter
    the beaches with their treble hooks,
    doritos and fat children.

They hook a fish and let it set on the
    beach for two hours before marking their punch card
    (if they have one) and wonder why it tastes like
    pinks....

I still enjoy fishing the salt without the
    crowds of dadaists in thongs.

Jeeze.... lighten up. Its just pinks
  16. Blktailhunter Active Member

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Still nothing at Pt. Wilson and Flagler.
  17. JayB Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 0
    Put in a long day out in the fractal-chop at DP from the low to the high tide. Didn't catch anything, didn't see anything caught from the pier, boats, etc - but heard reports of one fish caught from a fellow fly guy fishing from his kayak. Still feeling the waves lying on the couch. Probably still a handful of days away from the big ramp up....
  18. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Saw a few gear rods bending deep tonight at the Point. Along the beach there were two guys into pinks as I walked up, both on buzzbombs. Four fly fishermen chatted it up while we cast. Orangeradish got into a little resident coho and a sea run cutthroat. Constructeur got into a bullhead. Mumbles got into a little resident coho, bullhead and sea run cutthroat. The fourth guy? I think Evan got skunked.
  19. Tony James Member

Oakbrook, WA
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    Hi again JayB - that was me in the blue kayak. Pleased to make your acquaintance. Good to see you made it off those waves safely.
  20. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

I met some very cool buzz bomb chuckers out on the beach Sunday.. they gave me all sorts of info and weren't a bunch of whiny bitches on the interweb...

iagree