Pink Rubber Worms

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by bennysbuddy, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    Wow! Are you serious? With all due respect, are you sure these people “using pink rubber worms with a slinky weight and a big bobber on their spey rod” were not using center pin rigs? Just curious.
  2. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +509 / 1
    steelhead do not eat pink worms. trust me.
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,475 / 9
    Very interesting response...and then I was drawn to this:

The key statement to all of fly fishing is right here in your response. Despite your obvious disdain for beads being passed as fly gear or disinterest in worms, you are right on the money.

If a person's ego is wrapped up in how others view them as an angler then they are fishing for the wrong reasons. Indeed. I really could give two shits how anyone else views my attempts at angling. I do like the spirited discussions though. Sometimes in the strongest posts against something you'll read a line written by someone bashing one way yet supporting in that everyone should fish however the hell they want. Awesome. We are never short on opinions around here, very cool!
  4. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    Here's an analogy, it's like going out on a date with a beautiful women, taking her home and having wild sex, or going to the local bawdy house and buying a whore. In the end it's the same result, ie; your having sex, however you chose to do it...
  5. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +491 / 0
    Just fucking fish.
  6. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    Ah a pink articulated leech pattern tied with marabou would work about the same way.
  7. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    It's interesting when talking about fishing how some like to use sex as an example in an analogy..

So what now if you prefer the bawdy house whore over the beautiful woman because she's cheaper :clown:??
  8. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,779 / 0
    This is one of the most pompous, elite statements I have ever heard uttered by a fly fisherman. Good Gawd.
  9. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,714 / 0
    It sure is funny that how these threads start out one way and end up in another way. How in the hell did sex get into fly fishing.

As soon as I wrote this I realized I was wrong. I could of deleted it but it's now out there. Besides who gives a shit on what I write.
  10. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +425 / 0
    I don't really see the difference between slinging a pink worm fly and fishing an intruder, or other "non traditional" pattern.
    For me, I only care about being able to create the pattern myself. If I can tie it, I will toss it. Creating the flies I fish with is one of the most enjoyable aspects of the whole sport to me. Pegging a bead to my leader just doesnt give me that same satisfaction as seeing a fly I created on the end of my line, and my attention defecit disorder would drive me mad staring at a bobber floating down stream. I DO attempt to dead drift flies to achieve a similar presentation, and not using a bobber really makes me work on my mending, line control etc. which in my mind is allowing me to continue my learning curve to become a better fisherman. I know that line control is still important while fishing a bobber, but the skill required to do it right just isn't the same. Besides, I LOVE the blind fury of a swung fly strike vs the tappity tap of a dead drifted fly take.
    Back on topic- A bright pink MOAL pattern is deadly, as are the lysergic worms I tie with crystal chenille, marabou tail and a little angel hair around the tungsten eyes for the head. Non traditional patterns are my favorites, and allow more of a personal signature to the flies you tie.
  11. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    so im just wondering who where to get a bulk discount on the berkly worms.

no, i dont care what u think. i am about to own only 1 fishing pole total. i want it to catch fish. i could give a fuck if i was actually fly fishing. cya on the river this winter.
  12. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,690 / 2
    Sounds about the same as someone who has to stroke their ego by catching a fish on the least effective method possible. It's all in what you enjoy. Don't judge.
  13. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Do you fish like this? I do believe this is the proper, traditional way to fly fish.
    [IMG]
  14. Don Freeman Free Man

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +219 / 0
    AKA "Hard Hackle" Do they still sell those little Hildebrandt Spoons? Little gold things about the size of a baby's finger nail with a TINY gold blade on them. Twenty five years ago we would pack those for stubborn summer steelhead.

It's the Dark Side of course, but that just makes it sweet.

I figure purists may feel better about themselves, but that doesn't mean they're having more fun.
  15. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Never heard it better said than that.
  16. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    As I said " how ever you choose to do it"
    Disclaimer: I do not, nor have I ever had any prejudice against whores or those who choose to use their services.
  17. fishbadger Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    That might just be the post of the year . . .excellent timing there OR!

fb
  18. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,475 / 9
    I touched a pink worm at Sportco in Fife today. I could so see sliding a dirty shank throug it, attaching a dirty pink maribou or schlappen wide wrapped hackle for some action to compliment the auger or fluked tails and swing that crap...oh damn, I just puked again.
  19. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +562 / 0
    It isn't the worm that is the key. It is the lead that is the key.

Swinging a pink worm is closer to flyfishing then indicator fishing with lead.

Go Sox,
    cds
  20. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Aren't we 'having fun? I'll come back later to see if this is still going. mumbles you should know better than touching things that make you sick.