Pink Rubber Worms

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by bennysbuddy, Nov 11, 2010.

1. wet line

wet line New Member

Well said Jerry,

I wasn't going to comment but I find it humorous a guy that fishes beads feels more "perfect" than someone fishing a float and jig. A guy that fishes a float and nymph is more pure than a guy fishing

a spoon. And the guy swinging a wet fly is looked down on a guy fishing a skater.

It is fishing! It is as simple as that. If it is legal everyone has the right to fish the way they preffer.

I fished gear for many many years for steelhead using gear, corkies, spinners, spoons, Okie drifters and the such. It wasn't until just a few years ago that I decided to fish steelhead with the fly. In some ways a fly is far more difficult but not a "purer" way to fish. Learning to properly drift gear is also quite a challenge and spoons are as difficult as a fly to master.

Certain situations scream at what to use. A good fisherman recognizes that and adjusts accordingly. You can stick with a fly presentation, as I do now, and adjust your approach accordingly. But there is nothing wrong or unethical if a person opts for a different approach to solving the problem. That is fishing!

The fisher that reads the situation and adusts accordingly, rather than the fisher that fishes with blinders, is quite often the most succesful.

If you believe the only ethical fly fishing is for example fishing with a dry fly then have fun! But don't tell me how to fish and what YOU percieve as being ethical! Your ethics are exactly that, YOUR ethics. they do not apply to me nor anyone else.

I don't care how you fish as long as it is legal and I sure as hell don't like you telling me how to fish according to your preceptions and beliefs!

I can recall many years ago when I felt fly fishing was the holly grail! I quess I have matured and realized that fishing is just exactly that, FISHING. It isn't the method nor the numbers nor the biggest, it is fishing. An opportunity to get away from the daily grind and hub bub of daily life. A time to get away and sort out ones own existence or relieve stress or simply to regress to the basics or what ever the reason you fish. There are some that fish for food and that I understand but most fish for escape and that I TOTALLY understand as that is why most of us fish! Fishing is a purity in itself. Some do it in different ways but most do it for the same reason. I have NEVER met a fisherman that didn't reflect on what was around him. In some respects I think we are all troubled people trying to figure out how to make things better.

Dave

2. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

Jerry the difference is that some fly anglers are so desperate to be called fly fishers yet want to fish the most effective way which can only occasionally be done with a fly rod.. I am an angler I like all forms of skilled angling.

I fly fish for steelhead sometimes
    I drift fish with bait a little for steelhead
    I spoon fish for steelhead a lot
    I bobber and egg fish for coho ( like i did today)
    I LOVE throwing spinners for coho ( like i did today) and killed two fish doing it ( yum)

there is nothing wrong with any legal form of fishing it's just not all fly fishing

One thing that I really experience is catching a fall chinook on a back trolled qwick fish i just wanna see the rod get buried!!!

why did i sell my driftboat again??? Ohh thats right so i could buy a bass boat and fish tournaments throwing crankbaits with 2 treble hooks and jigs that weigh more than an ounce..

Am i a purist?? NO absolutely not however i do believe that fly fishing is fly fishing and gear fishing is gear fishing and i think mixing the two is silly

3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Fishing is fishing. I use a gill net in the salt. No pink worms or bacon needed.

4. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

wait wait wait.... how do you tie a bacon fly?

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Just one question though. Would you consider any tubes flyfishing?

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Mumbles,

It may not seem like it in threads like this, but I'm about as open minded and non-judgemental a person as you're likely to meet. I don't give a shit how you fish. But read PT's post. I'm kind of a stickler for use of language and semantics. Use eggs, beads, nymphs, etc., but when you lower the basket to 8 feet, or even less than 6 feet, go ahead and delude yourself all you want. Just don't try and tell me you're still playing basketball.

The reason fly fishermen don't fish for trout with powerbait is because fishing means defining their sport within parameters that challenge the angler and limit the overall odds of success. It's an avocation where the chase, the method, the process are all more important than the result of caught trout. When it's about modifying the method for the simple purpose of increasing the body count, then those modifications are no better, nor worse, than using "whatever works," be it powerbait, beads, nymphing under a bobber, gillnets, or dynamite. The easy way is still sporting, as sporting as gillnets and dynamite can be, but the easy way is never, and will never, be as sporting as that method that is more difficult and more challenging.

Ask the guys who nymph for steelhead why they do it. Invariably it's about getting results, getting the body count, because it's "whatever works." It's never about it being more challenging and more difficult. Why would you ever expect the same degree of respect for taking the easy way out?

Jerry,

You don't get it because you're bi. But apparently you have limits and draw a line. You just draw it at bait, and choose to forego gillnets and dynamite. Why? Aside from legality, I expect it's because you view nets and explosives as less sporting. BTW, gillnetting and explosives can also be sporting, in their own unique ways.

And BTW, a lot of gear guys have their own prejudices for and about various methods of bait and gear fishing, along with a general disdain of fly fishing. In many ways it's funnier than the degrees of discrimination within fly fishing.

Sg

7. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    i made a video about fishing beads

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Salmo_g, I get it and don't mind your delivery one bit. I do not have the foundation of decades of ingrained techniques or experiences on which to build. I'm not lowering the basket from 10' at all, just making sure that I consider if all shots from all places on the court have potential. I won't fish some rubber worm bait when I can fish a nice moal, I do have some limits...some.

9. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Couldn't find the bacon fly but here is the eggs n bacon fly. Looks like it would work to me.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kEgEZlbDIvI&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kEgEZlbDIvI&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Sorry I posted up something that is actually about fly fishing. Carry on.

10. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Home Page:
    Sg, I dig reading what you post. Up until this point, I've stayed out of this debate (save for a few snarky comments). I felt that I had nothing substantial to add, because of my total lack of experience. But I think I may have something of substance to add because of that. I'm not arguing the points you and others have made, I'm just trying to offer a different perspective. I'm going to go with the basketball analogy.

When you came up fishing, there were basketball courts everywhere. Everyone played, and you could always find a game. If you worked hard, and put your time in, you'd learn the game. Some people would play "street ball", but it was a dirty sportsmanship. Most didn't. Most just played well with each other. If you didn't like the game at one court, you could find a game at a different one. Most couldn't imagine lowering the hoop, or playing street ball. And why on earth would you? There was always a game to get into, and all you had to do was practice hard, and your game would get better.

Now the courts are being closed, and often, you can't even find a ball.

11. John Dougher

John Dougher Member

Benny,
    Thanks for the question. Especially enjoy reading threads like this where a, I think, new fly fishing related question is posted and members weigh in with their thoughts and experiences. Somewhat surprised that topic has generated so many responses regarding the sport in general.
    Oh well...

View attachment 36028

12. Backyard

Backyard SANCHO!

Media:
    Been swinging the worm fly on the OP for years now... Funny how the take, feels exactly the same as if were ANY other swung fly... :rofl:

[​IMG]

13. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Yard, at least those are tied up and not right out of the berkley lineup. Are those chenile wrapped around some latex rubber tubing? If it is tied, then it is a fly, right!

Oh, and are you scenting them with the strange looking contents in that little vial...

14. bconrad

bconrad Member

I need to tie a couple of those...Killer!

15. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    O'rad,

No doubt about the shortage of courts and quality games. That's why instead of lowering the basket, it's become socially acceptable to fish traditional methods for alternate species (finding new game) like chum and pink salmon, and even carp fishing has an evolving respectability. My friends used to assign one demerit if someone hooked a chum salmon, and two demerits if they landed it, as opposed to just breaking it off. The notion of fishing for chum salmon, for example, was totally incomprehensible.

Again, there's no harm in using other methods. The insult to the game is when these practitioners of alternate methods try to call it fly fishing, as though what they are doing remains connected to the 500 years of fly fishing tradition.

What's wrong with just calling it like it is? "Bubba and I was bobber doggin' beads alongside the driftboat in the Dosetulips the odder day . . . , and we rips us some lips . . ."

Sg

16. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    How about worms and eggs?

[​IMG]

17. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

Sure Jerry why not?

18. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Home Page:
    Fair enough. Bobber doggin'. I like.:thumb:

19. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    i always called it spagetti and meatballs

20. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
    If you don't fish greenheart rods with silk lines, throw hand-tied all-natural-material flies wrapped on hand-forged blind-eye hooks attached to gut leaders, you are a flyfishing wannabee.

C'mon, gents. Really?