Pink Salmon: Observations & Questions

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by AFJBugger, Aug 29, 2005.

1. I wanted to thank you for all the info listed in the Salt Forum! I have been reading up and checking some of the links to get a better understanding on how to catch some salmon in the salt. I went out Sat & Sun and had a blast, pinks do really eat anything pink (even my disgracefully tied flies)! What a fun way to spend an early a** morning, anyhow I have a few questions from some of my observations.

1. Should I be concerned about jelly fish, do all of them sting?

2. I had a baby seal come bump my leg looking to play (I almost pissed my pants) are they really that friendly or was he looking for a hand out? I scared him off, I did not want his mom taking me into a death roll.

3. Do gear guys get better results? I felt like they had much more success then us fly fishers, maybe because we were out numbered.

4. Most the fish I caught we only about 20-30 feet out, I was about high thigh deep. Some guys really wade out there, is that the best way to do it?

Everyone was very friendly, I was a bit intimidated by the line of fishers but everybody was joking around and having a good time. At least when the fish were biting.

See you out there! :beer2:

Adam

2. 1. Should I be concerned about jelly fish, do all of them sting?
    The clear ones that don't have the long tenticles are fine. As kids, we used to scoop them up and throw them at eachother... We never touched the ones with bright colors or long tenticles...

2. I had a baby seal come bump my leg looking to play (I almost pissed my pants) are they really that friendly or was he looking for a hand out? I scared him off, I did not want his mom taking me into a death roll.

Doesn't happen often. The adults will chase down the fish you are figting though. And careful if you attach fish on a stringer to your self\gear...

3. Do gear guys get better results? I felt like they had much more success then us fly fishers, maybe because we were out numbered.

All depends. The biggest factor is getting your offering in front of fish. The more fish you can present to, the more fish you'll catch. If the fish are in close, and the gear guys are casting past them, you will often hook up with more. If the schools are farther out and the gear guys (and Matt) are reaching them easier, they'll get more action while you hope to find the odd fish coming in shallow.

4. Most the fish I caught we only about 20-30 feet out, I was about high thigh deep. Some guys really wade out there, is that the best way to do it?

See above. Look for signs of fish - jumping bait fish, swirls, jumping fish, etc. Sometimes you can stand on the bank and cast 10-20 feet, other times you need to wade to your waste and throw a good long double haul...

3. Baby Seal....watch out for Mom....as you mentioned. For me that would probably be enough for me to move to another location.

Gear guys have the ability to load a heavy spoon on or additional weight and really fling it out there. They also don't have to worry about the lawn clippings out there as much......they mainly worry about the hook...where as flyfisherman want a clean line also...don't want the kelp/weed getting in the guides of rod...it impedes the ability to shoot line...And then the wind.....?

4. As far as seal attacks go, I could'nt say, but I doubt you would ever see it.
    The seals seem to be the target for as lot of frustrated anglers, and I have seen a few of them decorated with gear. Kinda sad really. They are just trying to eat, even though they are little bandits!
    I did get stung last month by a jellyfish while wet wading, and my calf swelled up pretty good.
    It was very much like a bee sting, and of course I never saw it coming.
    It's definately a good idea to wear waders.
    As far as gear v.s. flies...I became a purist about 7 years ago, and if offered my choice of weapons. I would grab a fly rod over a spinning rod anyday!
    I feel I have more control of the lure (fly), and I think it creates a much more realistic presentation, than a piece of metal with a hook on it.
    As far as distance goes...I can get a fly out there almost as far as the guy next to me is chucking his spoon ( unless it's a buzz bomb.)
    Besides with these salmon runs in the salt, they hug the shore within 50 feet anyways.
    I hooked 6 pinks today on a shrimp pattern standing in a hog line next to 8 lure chuckers. I outfished them all :thumb:

6. I would think that for the most part, the guys casting buzz bombs would do better, but there are a lot of times you can do better with flies. I have had quite a few days during the run when I hooked way more than the guys fishing next to me with buzz bombs (I even had a few guys switch over to a weight and a fly using thier spining rods). However, on days when the fish were farther out, they would hook more than me.

Regardless, flyfishing kicks ass and is way more fun so even if we hook a few less, it is way better. :p

7. I agree

8. I was thinking the same thing just the other day about mom coming around, so I kept my distance. I've neve been charged by a seal, but have been by sea lions, so I keep my distance from marine mammals!

Jeff

Attached Files: