Pink Salmon

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Clint F, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

I like a 7-weight in the salt for pinks. However, a 6-weight seems to be just fine on the critters in freshwater, however. Keep your flies small and either unweighted, or very lightly weighted. I like the little Flashabou Comet in pearl pink for pinks (bright green for chums, incidentally). My beach flies for pinks (or chums) are all tied on 6, 8 and 10 hooks. I rarely, if ever snag one. They all are hooked in the kisser.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

2. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    You can churn butter with a toothpick if you keep at it long enough....
    Seriously though a heavier rod is what you need. You could probably catch a fish with your 5 wt but you'd play it to death. A a 6 wt would be a great match.. plenty of fight, but you won't overplay it.

3. andyk

andyk Wannabe Senior Member

I use a 7wt for pinks... and that seems to be just right for my taste. I don't like the fish to bully me around since there are usually people fishing in fairly close proximity.

4. Sterling silver

Sterling silver Member

I agree with Andy and Les. I find a 7 weight works very well in the salt. It can handle a bigger fish and you can lighten up on the drag if you want more play. You can get the fish in quickly so its not worn out, which means the fish is not such an easy target for the seals. Your catch and release can mean an easier meal for the furry devils. And if you hook a seal, your 5 weight is high priced kindling. At crowded beaches, the 7 weight can make it easier to control your fish. A stiff 6 weight would be my next choice.

Sterling

5. Clint F

Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks dmoocher and everyone else. I am not planing on fishing hoodsport for them. I am thinking neah bay and places in the puget sound not hoodsport because there are to many people there for my liking.

6. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:
    All this talk of pinks and what not has inspired me to build the 11'6" forecast 6/7 weight switch rod. That should be a lot fun for pinks and be a nice compliment to my 5 and 7 weights.

oh the possibilities when there are 3.5 million fish headed your way. :thumb:

:beer2:

7. Jon Borcherding

Jon Borcherding New Member

Hoodsport is a zoo. You have to be a decent caster just to get your fly in the water without hooking a drooler on the beach. The beach at Hoodsport has got to be about as much fun as bobbing for apples with a dozen members of a facial herpes affinity group. During the last humpy run the sherrifs office had to send out deputies every day to break up fights between drunken "snaggermen". If I was going to fish the humpy run at Hoodsport I would rather fish from a boat. Hell, I'd fish from a barnacle encrusted styrofoam log before I'd fish the beach at Hoodsport.
    Just my 2 cents worth. I don't wanna spoil anybody's "fun".

JonB

8. Clint F

Media:
    Home Page:
    I must agree with Jon Borcherding.

9. dmoocher

dmoocher Member

Thanks Jon...I'll be expecting a PM sometime the last week of June. :thumb:

10. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

some years ago we were fishing Hoodsport for pink salmon. Bob Young, a long-time fishing pal was standing on his milk crate in order to cast further and more easily reach the schoolling pinks that had been holding a very, very long cast out. Suddenly the school move in all around him and his fly was swimming in the tidal current just beyond the end of his rod. A pink grabbed the fly and yanked Bob off of his milk crate and about up to his nipples. It was one of the most enjoyable days I've spent at Hoodsport; perhaps the only one.
    Cheers,
    Les Johnson

11. CovingtonFly

CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

Media:
    I was fishing up in Bellingham at the mouth of Whatcom creek during the chum run with an old rod I found in my folks garage. It was a gear rod and about 10 feet long. I hooked one and the rod snapped in half in front of about 30 other fishermen (snagerman) Of course I'm so good I landed the fish, but it was pretty embarrassing.
    Bring on the pinks!

12. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    i'm plenty satisfied with my 8wt for pinks. when you are in them thick it gets old to be playing them all over the place. and it is epecially essential to have some backbone when that big ol hump gets sideways downstream in some current. they will dog you out if you are undergunned. a 5 fish day and the room to play and ill take a 5 or 6wt but if im into them thick (20-30 fish day) or there is some current, id rather be packing my 8wt. for my waters up here it suits the situation better to have a little more backbone, its also nicer for punching a long line into some wind. match your intended waters, tie up something small and flashy and you are set.

damn, now im excited.... haha

13. Clint F

Media:
    Home Page:
    Now that I know what to use and how to fish saltwater how should I go about fishing muddy water in rivers such as the carbon. Should I Swing flies or nymph? I am new at the pink thing so I appriciate all the help.

14. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:
    Go pink and flashy and you are pretty well good to go in muddy water chartreuse may work as well. Pattern is not important and you should probably swing the fly to give it more action.

Pinks are really aggressive and will hit almost anything that catches their attention. If there's a lot of pinks around 20 fish in a day is not unreasonable to expect.

Have fun, I do :beer2:

oh yea if you have kids take them they'll catch fish as well.

15. Djustham

Djustham Sculpin are gross.

Media:
    So from what I have gleaned from this thread, the run starts in June, and many of the S river recieve a good run. Is this an accurate summation?

16. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    for my local waters (snohomish/sky, stilly and their estuaries...) there is a window starting mid august ending first week in september when the rivers are crawling with fresh pinks and the fishing is rediculous. the fish stick around through september but they start to get nasty and the fight goes down hill.

17. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Not sure about the S rivers, but down south I started catching fish off the beach mid July last year. June seems a little early.

18. WT

WT Member

Last time the pinks were in I was using a 9'9" 5wt with a Rio Outbound line for the beaches. It was a great setup, I was shooting out long casts and getting fish on just about every outing. If I was fishing in a crowd I really had to lean on the fish to get it in w/out getting in everyone's lines.
    One day I used the same setup in an estruary. I was fishing from a boat and managed to get into a ton of pinks. This is when the 5wt came up short. In the deeper water the fish would sound, bending my rod almost in half. I had to horse 'em in. The problem with that is that I pulled out a lot of flies, pinks have soft mouths.
    Will a 5wt work? Hells ya, but a 6wt is better, a 7wt would be perfect.
    The pinks are coming, good luck out there.
    WT

19. Porter

Porter Active Member

My 907-4 DS2 is my preferrred choice when targeting the pinks. Seven weight :thumb:

20. Clint F

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks for all the help. I think I am going to be swinging flashy pink flies for them in the rivers. :)