Pink techniques for rivers

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by BrianT, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Skyler Evans Active Member

Fort Lewis
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    exciting i love babysitting... im down just let me know ill pm you with my cell number.
  2. William Wallace Active Member

Graham Wa
    Ratings: +194 / 0
    1700....Fort Lewis...military I presume!!!! Good luck fishing!
  3. Skyler Evans Active Member

Fort Lewis
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    you are correct. thanks and good luck to you as well.
  4. William Wallace Active Member

Graham Wa
    Ratings: +194 / 0
    I am off in Graham, In the US Coast Guard 21.5 years, so military has been my life for awhile. Born Seattle so finally back home. Not sure where you are living, but me and my brother always looking for others to go fishing. PM me and will try to get together and have some fun!

William Wallace
  5. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +369 / 16
  6. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,599 / 2
    You're right on one of those ;)
  7. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +289 / 0
    Get upstream of the schooling pinks in the river and make downstream angled casts to them that allow plenty of time for the fly to reach the bottom. When your fly drifts just in front of their snouts on the bottom of the pool, begin a moderate strip-pause-strip-pause retrieve back upstream. The pinks always eat the fly on the the pause as the fly drops back toward the bottom. I use a clear intermediate fly line, a 9 foot leader, and a forward weighted fly like a Shock&Awe with stinger hook in the rivers (pink over electric purple/white). Using this method on the Skykomish River I used to hook bright pink salmon nearly every cast the first week of September (before they got all humped up and aggressive).
  8. BRYORS Member

Camas, Wa
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    My response is simple but a few days out dated. Wait for the rivers to drop shortly. A common thread is to go deep. Number one advice. Fly of your choice. I rarely use anything else than a clouser throughout the world. Use sparse, pink over white, small hook. Get down to the fish. I use a 7wt., floating line, 5 ft. of t11, weighted coluser. I ignore the crowds but rather wade. You will find pods of fish from 5 to upwards in the seams away from the crowds. Good polorized glasses are essential. Fish these pods. Two is the maximum you will hook. You will get company as soon as others see fish. Move on. Your cast will be no more than 25 to 30 feet. Cast up stream of the fish and mend as a normal Nympth techinuqe. The action doing so will attract the fish. If nothing happens wade on. My experience is to hook 30 to 40 in a ten hour day. Petri Heil. (Good Fishing)
  9. Thom Collins Active Member

Kirkland, WA
    Ratings: +65 / 0

Hmmm...Orange? Chartreuse and orange?
  10. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Just because I'm in a good mood today

WP_20130826_001.jpg
    rory and Thom Collins like this.
  11. Thom Collins Active Member

Kirkland, WA
    Ratings: +65 / 0
    Curiosity quenched. Having a pattern that is dialed in tends to put one in a good mood. Thank you kind sir. Will be spinning these tonight.
  12. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +85 / 0
    Those are nice Evan.
    Not the least bit surprised at their effectiveness.
    Thanks for sharing. I've had pretty good success with white over the years
  13. Bestbuilder Member

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Evan, thanls for the pictures.
    What color is the flashaboo- on my computer it shows up as gold (I assume its chartruse)
  14. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    It's actually orange, which has some green tinge in the light.

today and yesterday, my boat put 50+ fish in the net both days. the bite seems to be very spot specific, as some holes with fish all over would yield absolutely nothing... then another with the same activity would be an every cast ordeal.
    Jamie Wilson likes this.
  15. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    I've witnessed the same thing. Typically when I'm on a bunch of fish I change flies, depth, etc. until I figure it out. This season - not so much. If they're not interested I'm probably not going to see the big fish day
  16. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Yesterday, I was thinking it was just that particular school we hit in those spots. But today and yesterday, we hit all the same spots, and got snubbed in the same spots as yesterday, and slayed in the same spots. Not sure what causes that to happen.
  17. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Do you know if the flow level was the same?? Tough to eye-ball sometimes - especially if you're fishing the Skagit
  18. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    i try to fish the snohomish in the tidal influence area's. the bright pink/cerise seem to work better there. one day its a slow strip the next its a hard short pull. you do have to wait for the fish to move up.
    no slivers showing yesterday though ?
    up river we go smaller and sparse. sometimes purple, orange, white, or what Evan had in his pic.
    sometimes just pink thread wrapped on a hook with a small dab of pink/cerise marabou.
    Jamie Wilson likes this.
  19. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Been floating the Skagit and Skykomish both. Seems to be the same issue on both rivers.
  20. Fishing Alaska New Member

Anchorage Alaska
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    About a month ago I watched 2 guys reel in around 40 pinks. Using red yarn. I was there for about 2.5 hours to limit out on silvers. They were having a blast