Pinkfest with a switch?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Nol, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
  2. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    What did you use for spikes within the basket? Or is that unnecessary.

3. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    That's what I was looking at too.

4. Brooks Werner

Brooks Werner Member

Media:
    Dang I wish I would have known about that Princess one, that's badass!

I used some zip ties through the bottom and hot-glued some plastic tubing similar to that used to run water to an ice maker in a freezer. Worked great, but after sitting for a year the hot glue started to separate and now my line gets caught under it. I'm going to take the posts off and see how it works. I also drilled a couple small holes in the bottom to drain water out.

Stripping basket.jpg

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Since it's pink salmon we're talking about here, the pink stripping basket is the only logical choice.

Brooks Werner, flyfool and golfman44 like this.
  6. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    If you've got a hard on to practice your spey casts, then by all means do so. At the end of the day we're all out to have fun, so do whatever makes it the mostest funerer. At the end of the day these fish want a stripped fly that imparts jig action. Guys catch them on the swing and the dead drift, but not nearly as much as on the strip/jig action. I just don't find the spey to be conducive to stripping line in all day, I don't fish switch rods really, so there's the logic behind my choices.

7. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Regarding stripping baskets, I would guess that the biggest advantage to buying one is the nicely formed cones in the bottom.

I have an old grocery basket that I put zipties in. It works alright, but I still get tangles. I think part of that has to do with this POS rio versitip that I'm using--it is really not a good line for fishing the salt, I've come to realize. I've stretched the damn thing, on the beach, at least 3 times in the last few weeks and it still kinks and twists and tangles up like you wouldn't believe.

I like the look of that linekurv thing. I think I'll get one soon, along with a new line, and hopefully increase my percentage of casts that I get off without tangles into the guides.

Jason

8. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Well just got back from IKEA. Unfortunately they were all sold out of the pink ones. Damn. I was hoping to just swim around in the sound wearing that thing and having the pink salmon attack me for it. Easy catching.

I did however find the white one with green tones on it. There were only two left so I'm glad I went today. Time to finish this bad boy. I'll post pics when done.

Again I'd like to apologize for completely hijacking this thread. My bad :(

I've been out to the sound a few times now with those pink clousers and I quickly realized how nice a stripping basket will be so I want to get one built ASAP before its prime time.

Brooks Werner and flyfool like this.
  9. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    If you ever get tired of trying to pimp your out own basket, just go buy the Linekurv or Orvis basket and be done with it.
    Many of us have been there and done that........

10. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

SF--can you comment on how well the cones in those baskets work versus say, zip ties in a homemade basket?

Or can anyone else who has used both?

I know that Jim or Roger or one of those other salty guys made a basket with corn cob holders as the cones, and that seemed like a good idea. Thought after the work, time, and money involved in putting that together, seems like the linekurv is just as economical.

J

11. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

You can buy the corn cob holders (they're big enough) at the Dollar store...for a buck. Step-stool basket for $5. Bungie cord for $3. Unicorn and Barbie stickers, priceless.

12. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Jason,
    I made my own basket out of a rubbermaid dish pan and used it for years.
    Then I bought a now discontinued LL Bean basket. After using it, I'd never go back to the homemade basket. The cones work great.
    The Linekurv is a knockoff of the Bean basket. If I didn't own the Bean basket I'd own the Linekurv. If the Linekurv wasn't available, then I'd buy the Orvis basket.
    Slap a Hello Kitty sticker on it and start fishing.
    I saw a number of people trying to fish without baskets yesterday. It just looked futile as far as line management goes.
    Hope this helps.
    SF

13. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
  14. John Weston

John Weston Member

Gary, I like that. never thought of it. I use strips of weed eater line or the round ties. I just made a basket real quick this time with the weed eater line but want to find a curve rubber maid and put those cones in it. mine is real ratty but it's ok for a bit till I find what I really want. mine is a rubber maid and I like them better. tight lines, now for the pinks to arrive.
    Outlaw

15. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
  16. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member