pinks from a boat question

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by nwtroutguy, Jul 30, 2013.

1. nwtroutguy The Tug Is The Drug

Bothell, washington
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    A friend and myself are goiong to give it a try this saturday leaving out ot Tacoma marina and then headed towards the base of Vashon or Browns Point. Never fished from a boat( except pontoon near the Duwamish) and so I am wondering:

What lines you guys like to use, tactics, depth away from shore most likely, signs( besides jumping fish) to look for etc.

Any input and info is much appreciated....thanks.
  2. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,706 / 2
    I use the same tactics as on shore: floating line, long leader, heavy fly. Look for jumpers and rollers.
  3. Don Freeman Free Man

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +219 / 0
    Since you're going to Tacoma, stop by Puget Sound Fly Co, a WFF sponsor. Since they're right in the heart of pink country (Hmmm - doesn't sound right) anyway, they can get you started. Being there at daylight is not an issue unless you're competing for a spot on the beach.
  4. Bob Young Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Just be sure to stay out of the range of the buzz 'bombers'. The will throw right at you. I like a slow intermediate line, 10-12 # tippet, fish are not leader shy.
  5. KEVIN D New Member

All over WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    There will be the largest South sound Salmon derby taking place the 3rd in that area. I have watched Salmon swimming on top of the water down the west side of Vashon while I was bottom fishing the area. It was out across from Olalla, but that was some years ago.

Good Luck.
  6. obryan214 New Member

Tacoma Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Don't forget that point on the south end of Vashon at Quartermaster Harbor. I've done very well there.
  7. dibling Active Member

Green Lake
    Ratings: +55 / 0

Jamie - May I cordially request that we change this thread title to "Pinks from a Plane"? I would like to take a few minutes to play with that thought experiment.
  8. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +359 / 0
    Being in the boat will provide you the obvious advantages of searching out tidal seams and rips, as well as jumpers and "finners" that are out of range of the beach.
    Otherwise, it's the same gear and tactics that work from the shore.
    I have to get my boat ready out there myself and join in all the fun.
  9. Anil Active Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +210 / 6
    I know Evan swears by a floating line, but most of the guys fishing from boats are using Intermediates (Outbounds and Streamer Express lines). In fact the second most popular boat line is the "Outbound type 6." Boat anglers are often fishing in depths not encountered by beach anglers and even 'rolling' and jumping salmon usually indicate the larger presence of a deeper school.
    yellowlab likes this.
  10. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    I'd probably use an intermediate or sinking in some situations. I just don't have one and don't feel like buying one for the couple times I'd probably use it. I've used the floating from the boat with very good results, so I just stuck with it. Haven't tried the intermediate from the boat, so have no data to support that by comparison.
  11. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +406 / 0
    America's Top Hooker Presents:
    Anil's intermediate line versus Evan's floater (in a boat.... in MA-13..... August 3rd.... rated PG-13).

Mark Mercer and Jason Rolfe like this.
  12. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Haha. Honestly, I don't worry about the line too much. As long as my fly is heavy, I'll use anything that gets it out there. And the day I outfish Anil is.. well, it's just not happening.
  13. Cole L Fish Fiend

Bellingham
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    I used a type 4 sink tip the other day with a clouser and it dropped the fly right into the strike zone. Had more hook ups and many more follows than any other boat or beach goer when I was out there