Pinks

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by John Weston, Jul 9, 2013.

1. John Weston

John Weston Member

I have had fresh pinks and smoked but I don't know about freezing them. if you do freez em how long are they good for? thanks. tight lines, here comes the pinks.

Outlaw

2. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Years if vacuum packed with a good seal and no air in the package. That reminds me that I should check the freezer to make sure I've smoked or canned all of mine.

3. John Weston

John Weston Member

aw thanks. now I know. didn't see no reason they wouldn't be any good, just didn't know how to do it. I like em smoked better but will freeze some this yr. thanks.
    Outlaw

4. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    To hold their freshness/texture: 1) remove the internal organs, including the kidneys ASAP and ice the carcass. 2) Cut off the head and tail. 3) Wrap well in Saran wrap and then freezer paper (or better, vacuum pack). 4) Freeze whole. That should be good for several months. They can be defrosted and smoked when convenient.

Steve

5. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I wouldn't say years especially on Pinks.

Depends on a lot of factors as well. Frost Free freezers aren't good for keeping fish. Also depends how cold you have the freezer; sub zero is better. Prep before freezing; froze whole will last longer than skinned. There's some more variables but these are some main ones.

I'd be looking at cleaning out the freezer and smoking last year's catch but only have 1 fillet left.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  6. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

They will keep for a good while. Maybe not years but if you wrap them in saran wrap and then vacuum seal they will keep for at least a year. Any longer and they begin to burn a bit and lose their color and taste.

7. John Weston

John Weston Member

thanks guy's, that is helpful. another ?, could you take one out of the freezer and cook with tin foil around it? opps, another, would you fillet em an leave the skin on an put the 2 sides together and freeze em then take the skin off before you smoke em? ok, I am done. thanks guys.
    Outllaw

8. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Yes, you can filet salmon and freeze them like that, but I leave the skin on when smoking 'em. Or you can take it off if you like. The skin helps to keep the smoked pieces from falling apart, and helps to retain some of the moisture.

9. martyg

martyg Active Member

10. Chucker

Chucker Member

They freeze OK, but are better eaten fresh.They lose some texture when frozen.

If you are freezing them then Marty has the right idea, cook them with something spicy.

I eat them fresh, or smoke them.

N.

11. John Weston

John Weston Member

thanks all for the replies. I have always smoked em or eaten fresh but wanted to freeze some this yr.
    I'll look into that thai recipe. sounds good, thanks.
    Outlaw

12. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

We always bleed them as soon as they are on the bank or boat. this helps a bit.
    always vacuum seal salmon before freezing.
    pinks don't last very long frozen or fresh. i try to smoke any i keep. which is only 1-2.

13. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    don't forget canning as an option.

14. ten80

ten80 Active Member

^can em with Sriracha or jalapenos and garlic for some spicy goodness. I've had no issues with properly vacuum packed pinks lasting 2 years in my non-defrosting freezer, although I usually can or smoke frozen pinks because they are indeed best fresh (great BBQ fodder!)

15. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Another tip; place the vacuum sealed fillets in a clear plastic sweater box inside the freezer. It keeps them from coming unsealed and seems to protect them from burning a bit more; just one more layer. It also makes them easy to locate. I put three in my freezer with different types of fish or meat in them. It works pretty well.

16. John Weston

John Weston Member

these are great ideas. thanks all.
    Outlaw