Pipe dreams?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by triploidjunkie, Mar 20, 2014.

1. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,276 / 0
    plaegreid likes this.
  2. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    It is hard to say what will happen but they do have the proper people meeting to take advantage of this "possible renegotiation" to get the ball rolling. That really is a MASSIVE slab of concrete to overcome and will take some serious $$$$
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  3. Stewart Skunk Happens

Spokane
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    The idea is gaining momentum. It sure would be cool if it happens. I also have been told that if the Columbia dams are required to deal with fish passage, then it re-opens the FERC licensing of the Spokane river dams. Chamokane and the Little Spokane still have some suitable spawning habitat. Hangman has zip, especially on the Washington side. If it doesn't happen with this treaty process, it's unlikely to happen in our lifetimes.
  4. Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat, Washington
    Ratings: +141 / 0
    Suppose it is a pipe dream but it sure is tittilating!!! The costs of trying to get anadromous fish back to these places with the existing dams in place sounds silly and undoable... but if a new paradigm of power generation were embraced it should be possible...and cheaper in the long run.

It's justifiable from a purely ecomic standpoint but the payback timeframe would be way out there. Dams don't last forever and they cost a whole lot of money to maintain. Eliminate maintenance costs and "ALL" costs associated with dam existance and it might pencil out. Lost productivity and lost opportunity figure in big time. Not to mention the ongoing costs of hatcheries just to maintain what we see diminishing. The fish do it for free if we let them and hydropower can be generated without dams.
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  5. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    The thought of salmon and steelhead making it back to some prime spawning habitats north of here almost makes me(fill in the blank). I can think of dozens of runs north of here, the Spokane river being one of the prime candidates.
  6. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,622 / 0
    Doesn't Lake Roosevelt backwater up to Spokane Falls? The falls were the upstream limit for anadromous fish historically on the Spokane River. I think the Kettle and maybe the San Poil are the easiest candidates for restored anadromy.

Sg
  7. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +424 / 0

Not true. Some actually made it to ID to spawn. Very few, but there were some that did. The Falls looked a whole lot different in the early 1900's.

I worked with the CDA Tribe for years, and met some of the elders. They have pictures of spearing salmon and steelies upstream from the falls. Kinda brings a tear to your eyes... that once upon a time... :(

The Spokeman ran an article in the early 90's about the salmon runs. The record king was caught right below the falls, and was held for decades, until some teenage girl (I think) broke it back in the 90's -? Not 100% on that, but the record was in Spokane at one time.

Several went way, way up the Latah/Hangman creek - all the way to Plumber and beyond. It's really weird to see their picks and to think, "What might have been..."
  8. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,622 / 0
    Thanks for the correction. I was misinformed then about Spokane Falls.

Sg
  9. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +424 / 0
    Honestly... I would have bet money on the same thing, until I heard their stories and saw pictures.
  10. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    You're right on the two main spawning tribs, but you'd be amazed the size of some of the wild redbands that go up little tribs to spawn. Two good friends are in charge of all the fishtraps on the rez side of Lake Roosevelt. The places they find two foot plus rainbows spawning never ceases to amaze me.