Pistoleros

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Salmo_g, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Real men carry "cocked and locked"....:D

2. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    I've actually wanted to get up to Custer and check it out.

3. Nate Buchanan

Nate Buchanan Member

FN-FNX9mm 17rds @ 10yds 1/18/14

Attached Files:

4. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

IF the shit hits the fan, one certainly may NOT have time to "rack & fire," just enough time to fire. An empty defense piece can become a deadly delay and doesn't even make a decent hammer . . .

Alex MacDonald and Krusty like this.
  5. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

There's very little chance you're going to instinctually exhibit all of the suggested behavior during a meth-head assault unless you spend an incredible amount of time training, so you might think about a few key essentials:

1) No, you can't legally shoot somebody just because they're stealing your stuff..they have to be posing a credible and immediate threat to human safety.

2) Concentrate on keeping that trigger finger in the index position at all times until you make a decision to shoot, and consider what's behind the intended target before you empty the magazine in their direction...because many of the rounds aren't going to hit the intended subject.

3) Consider selecting a personal defense weapon that doesn't utilize a mechanical safety....such as a Glock. A fair number of police officers have failed to stop a threat because, in their panic, they completely forget to flip the safety off. Note: such safety-less weapons must reside in a holster designed to cover that trigger guard, and should never be free carried in a pocket.

4) Get a fast opening, rapidly accessible, and secured gun safe..if that weapon isn't actually in its holster, and on your person, it needs to be in the safe...loaded, a round chambered, and ready. An amazing number of children are killed or severely injured via unsecured weapons...and it is not unusual for them to be the children of police officers who've grown complacent about gun safety.

Ed Call and Steve Knapp like this.
  6. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Smith & Wesson back pack .460.

Take a look.

7. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Good point, but that's combat shooting I'm talking about, where there's no time to get off an aimed shot. I should have mentioned that straight off. We always trained with the same pistol, our .45's back then, and trained to the point where sights weren't used. This allowed us to get off the first round on target every shot, and target for us was betwixt the headlights, not center mass. There wasn't any need for a double tap once the first one arrived where you pointed, which allowed us to haul less ammo than the guys in the foxholes. We made up for that in grenades:eek:

plaegreid likes this.
  8. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

Considering that the vast majority of righteous civilian self-defense shootings occur in the 4 to 10 foot range, sights don't mean a hell of a lot. Unless your assailant has a projectile weapon, you're not going to have a credible self-defense justification beyond about 20 feet (the range that the assailant can reach you in seconds with a baseball bat, a knife, or fists...which are considered potentially lethal and worthy of a decisive defense with a firearm). The average citizen, unlike LEO's, isn't going to be rolling up on somebody brandishing a weapon that justifies a distant shot necessitating use of sights.

I'm not disagreeing with Alex, but merely commenting from the perspective of an old Marine, not a special ops type. Marines never bothered much with handguns, figuring they were the tools of officers and other pansies, and that the best weapons were old style AR's like the M14, the AK47, and mortars.:)

Alex MacDonald and Steve Knapp like this.
  9. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    Love my 1911's for that very reason. The first round is just a safety click away.

10. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I don't own any real handguns. I recently picked up a Crossman CO2 6mm soft air pistol, and set up a practice range in my living room. Mainly picked up this piece so that I could fight off any encroaching cabin fever if I notice it creeping up on me.
    I'm standing roughly 7 yards from my target setup (inside a cardboard box, with layers of cardboard backing to catch the 6mm bbs). After reading Alex's comment about practicing without using the sights, I'm going to try that...I can get off 14 or 15 rounds as fast as i can squeeze 'em off. Its something to work on. I have 10,000 rounds of ammo and plenty of CO2 cartridges. I named my little soft-air pistol "CatNipper!";)

11. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    [quote="Krusty, post: 903659, member: 19926"
    I'm not disagreeing with Alex, but merely commenting from the perspective of an old Marine, not a special ops type. Marines never bothered much with handguns, figuring they were the tools of officers and other pansies, and that the best weapons were old style AR's like the M14, the AK47, and mortars.:)[/quote]

Surprising how many times the M-16 got "lost", dropped over the side of the boat, or "broken"! I see many of the spec ops guys are going back to the 14, too. But the .45; nobody liked it. We used a specially silenced .45 called the "hush puppy" to take out guard dogs. Nobody wanted to do this, and it always brought on a "it's NOT MY turn" fight. Nope. Gimmie the ol` MP-5 every time!

Krusty likes this.
  12. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

One of the tools I have used to be a better pistol shooter was a BB pistol.
    You can take a foam cup or paper plate with some kind of back stop, old rug or blanket and set it up in the back yard.
    If you can point your finger at the target you can point a pistol and hit what you point at.
    Cost effective, no noise, none of those distractions that can throw off your shot.
    If I'm going to shoot a grouse with my pistol I'm gonna aim.
    If I had to shoot in self defense I'm not going to have time to aim.