Plans for Tying Station Extras

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Monk, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Monk

Monk Redneck

Media:
    I am starting to make a few of my own spool holders/boxes and bobin holders etc. If there is any interest, It would be cool to see how everyone makes theirs. I like making my own because I can put a finish on it so everything matches. I know it sounds kinda girly, but I need something pretty to look at when I can go fishing and it is nasty and grey outside. Anyone have any plans/ideas they wish to divulge?

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    For nice, inexpensive spool holders you can paint/stain to match your room, go to Michaels or Joann's fabrics and buy their spool holders. Can hold alot, angled for ease of viewing, and can color as you'd like.

3. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    Monk,

My spool holder is a home made thingy as are my tool holders. The bobbin holder is just three pieces of scrap oak boards, about 3 feet long, nailed together from the bottom. Each piece is 1 1/2 inches wider than the one above it. Spaced on each tier are pieces of dowel spaced 1 1/2 inches apart. It holds a lot of spools, but I have to make a bigger one.

My tool holders are just matching pieces of oak with holes drilled in them to hold bobbins, bodkins, bottles of head cement and so forth. I used two sided tape to hold the pieces together when I drilled the holes so the thru holes in the top would match the 1/4 deep holes in the bottom. Once the holes were drilled and rounded over with a router I flipped the whole thing over and drilled through the bottom into the top so some 1/4 inch oak dowels could be pushed through and glued in place. Took the tape off, put in the dowels so the top and bottom are about two inches apart and they were done.

All of the oak is finished with two coats of amber shellac, topped with two caots of water based poly. Rub out each coat with 4/0 steelwool and tack off between coats. Rub the last coat of poly out and finish off with a hard carnuba wax.

The things look pretty good, have lasted a long time, and most important, the wife likes them. Had to make a set for her tying area too.

Being a cabinet maker with lots of scrap lumber laying around, and a shop full of tools, is pretty helpful.

REE

4. Monk

Monk Redneck

Media:
    Thanks alot guys. :thumb:

5. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    In the Gallery under Tying stations and Equipment there is a spool holder I made for a friend...e-mail me if you want a plan...

6. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    :eek: :eek: :eek: im feeling all fuzzy.....

If Roper is offering free plans....Id jump on em as he is THE best craftsman I have ever met and this particular setup is the bomb!!! Roper rules :ray1: