Plug Clave

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by _WW_, Mar 4, 2011.

1. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    Might as well learn it all!
    Pulling plugs with rods over 10' and costing thousands.
    Proper rowing techniques.
    Best knots for your plugs.
    Yes, size is important.
    Best colors for the OP.
    Spey casting plugs...or as I like to say "Pokin' Plugs!"
  2. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,737 / 0
    When? Where? How much?

I am especially interested in 2 handed plug chucking.
  3. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +669 / 0
    I'm interested in how to use a side planer to fish plugs, Will that be part of the course ?
  4. shawn k Member

buckets worldwide
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    the only plug you guys need are butt plugs.
  5. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,354 / 9
    I've got some plugs. Never thought of tossing them with the two hander, but why not? All mine have single point barbless hooks already, that is how I fished them before my fly flinging days.
  6. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +669 / 0
    Can you recomend a source?
  7. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +238 / 0
    Im down! where? when? we should make it coincide with spingers on the sol duc
  8. Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

Kiana, AK
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    You might want to drop a line to Stew D. I am sure he would be all over this and could bring his minions along!
  9. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Just added my plugs to my Hoh Down gear packing list. If I follow my packing protocol I'll have them and will be able to see how well they cast on my two hander. I guess I'll be up for swinging some plugs if Stewart Dee and/or Golfman are!
  10. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +403 / 0
    You really can't call yourself an accomplished two handed plug fishermen until you have swung the zara spook or the jitterbug on the surface for summer fish. By the way mine are all the old wood versions, hand carved, hand painted, because I am a purist.
  11. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    That is awesome elitism in that he's swinging the classics in hand carved and painted wood. Awesome sauce right there!
  12. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    ill swing a hot shot or small kwikfish on the spey, why not? As long as theres no bobbers involved, Im cool
  13. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    You are blurring the lines Stilly! Plugs, hot shot and quik fish are okay but indicators are not?
  14. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    personal preference. I swing dick nites on the long rod already. At least its on the swing right?
    But more importantly, I like giving people shit for no apparent reason. Ive never personally been outfishedby a bead,so I have no direct animosity. Plus, you gotta love the rediculous grabs you get from plugs. Rip the rod out of your hand style grabs. Thats what I feel bobber fishing a bead robs from the general experience, you never feel the fury of that super aggressive take. That to me is the soul of steelheading. Nothing else like it.
  15. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    I agree! You now have permission to make another one of those ridiculous cartoon movies.
  16. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    My free movie credits were used up! I'm not paying for a plug clave movie. Wait, ridiculous cartoon movies, what the hell are you talking about ridiculous? You know that crap makes you laugh.
  17. Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

Kiana, AK
    Ratings: +2 / 0

Now that is a view point i can respect! Well stated Stilly!! I have been bitten by the swing bug and i swing every chance i get, but am not above the bobber fishing! More power to you, the tug is the drug.....talking about fishing.
  18. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    I am above bobber fishing.

Go Sox,
    cds
  19. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,737 / 0
    Bacon wrapped kwikfish are by far the best. No beads needed. A bit tough to cast far with a 2 hander but with persistance it can be done. Hooked up with a boondogger with one once. You should have seen the look on his face when he reeled it in.
  20. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    Interesting idea flipping a small spoon or a hot shot of some sort off a spey rod. The small spoon I've tried (no success) but the idea of casting something the size/weight of a HS intrigues. Never seen it done nor have (before this thread) read of folks actually doing same. Open question, how do you cast (or what casts maybe) do you use to chuck that follow.

With a small spoon like the DN all you need to do (if someone wants to give it a go) is tie on a small round bottom snap swivel to the end of a sink tip leader and let her rip. They're so light they'll cast very well.

Now a H Shot .... that strikes me (no bad pun intended) as a whole different matter; over head cast with one of those things?

fae