Plug Clave

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by _WW_, Mar 4, 2011.

1. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,748 / 0
    Fred,

My posts were made tongue in cheek as I think this thread was started with a little tic. I have thrown small spoons with a 2 hander. Mostly what is known up here as Wells' spoons. These are lightweight spoons made by hand of thin brass sheeting and were developed by a gentleman named Wells, a nursery owner from Mt. Vernon, WA and an avid fisherman. He made the spoons so they could be cast with a fly rod. Wells died some years back but the spoons were still being made by a guy named Ziggy, a nickname based off his last name which escapes me now. Ziggy died about 7 or 8 years ago and no one was making them for a number of years. I have been told that someone else in the valley has started making the Wells spoon again. They are highly prized by both fly and gear fishermen. Because of the thin, light weight material used to make them they have a superior action than a Dick Nite spoon and are easy to cast with a single or double handed fly rod. Some have claimed that the Dick Nite spoon was copied from the Wells. Don't know if that is true or not.
  2. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,619 / 0
    Great suggestion WW! I have a bunch of Kwikfish plugs, even size 16s, that I got for chinook fishing and, like my box of beads, are virgins. If somebody can give me lessons on huckin' these things with a Spey rod, then it's that many fewer flies I need to tie and can finally get some use out of these damn banana shaped lures, bacon wrapped or not.

Sg
  3. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    THANK GOD! You had me worried there for a moment. I've tried Dick Nites off the end of a sink tip well in the past, use a round bottom snap swivel and clip on and off you go. Never did anything that way (hook a fish) but it sounds like a workable situation for low water fishing.

Casting a Hot Shot ... that I couldn't even imagine.
  4. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Fred, I might be able to get you a couple of the Wells spoons, if they are being made again. Like I said superior action to the DN and they cast a heck of a lot easier. Love the whirring sound they make as they buzz past my ear.
  5. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +288 / 0
    I too use a small swivel to cast the DN on the fly rod. I don't think they are that much of a bitch to cast on a one hander, Im sure you wouldnt even notice it on a 2 hander. They do mke mini hot shots an wiggle warts and kwikfish that Im sure would be castable on a 2 hander. youd need a good lifting cast to get it to the surface, maybe a snap t or c spey? Experimentation must be one
  6. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    Ratings: +133 / 0
  7. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    I can BELIEVE the buzzing sound! Sounds like a Total Hoot to give those a try. Keep me posted via PM.

Many thanks in Advance
    :>)
  8. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +677 / 0
    I thought they were fantastic,I was hoping to someday have the leading role in one of these movies
  9. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +647 / 0
    I have yet to discover a fly for coho that works better than a Dick Nite on a 15' sink tip.
    They actually cast better with a spey cast than they do overhead. It's the back casting that introduces all the tangles. :)
  10. Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

Kiana, AK
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    The only problem with bacon wrapped quick fish is i ALWAYS get a treble or two in my mouth by the time the day is over......I love bacon.
  11. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    Brady, that is not a fly rod. You are doing it all wrong. You really need to attend the KerryS _WW_ BennysBuddy clave.
  12. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Mumbles, Thank you for your endorsement, the guys on the skagit know how to get er done! I'm polishing my collection of wells spoons gettin ready for them humpies even as we speak!!
  13. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    That is one helluva comment on the state of affairs. A once world renowned, storied, and famous Steelhead river now reduced to a fuckin' spoon fishery for pinks...:(
  14. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Watta yu mean reduced to a spoon fishery for slimers? Hell, ya know we have been secretly fishing slimers with 2 handers and spoons for years. Next is to fish for slimers with a 3 weight single and see how much slimer a 3 can handle before it snaps. Extra points if it breaks in more than one place.
  15. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    I'm thinking the same thing while I was jigging herring at cornet bay last weekend with my tenkara rod,Where the heck is this fisheries headed ?
  16. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    You typed the T word for total enlightenment and you had better have chugged your beer. Rules is rules ya know!
  17. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    I plan to drink many after work tonite ,Therefore makeing up for all the times I used the T word and wasn't caught!!!
  18. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +434 / 0
    I would just like to know if anyone has fished the frog pattern zara spook with any success for winter fish late in the season. I have had some luck with the bleeding shad and rainbow trout but the topwater frog has caught my eye. Best fish I ever got was on a custom painted merganzer chick zara spook. It was hatchery so I retained it and found not one but two half digested chicks in its belly. Talk about matching the hatch! Now thats fishin.
  19. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
  20. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    My father in law ties "Fl-ures" which are lures chucked on a fly rod. Most are similar to WW's link. Lightweight plugs with diver or wiggle lips for action. He says to open the loop and not try to do to much with them in the air, but in the water they take care of themselves.