Plug - sit on top kayak

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Manimal, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Dang! All this praise gettin heaped on the Hobie Mirage Drive. Well, I have met a couple of yak fishers with Hobies, and they really like theirs, too. Thanks FLYRODR and d_w_hart. I hope to get to try one out soon. Maybe this Wednesday, as I'm yak fishing then with someone who's got a Revolution.
    You can go in reverse? Cool! I'd always heard that the Mirage Drive only goes forward. They must have come up with an improved design on the drive.

2. FLYRODR

FLYRODR Guest

Jim, you simply pull the drive unit out, turn it 180 degrees and re-insert it into the drive well. Now your rudder still steers you wherever you wish to troll, one light stroke on the pedal and you're underway, and best of all, you've got your line / fly behind you where you can handle it. Not much more annoying than to get a hook-up with your fish BEHIND you 'cause now you've got to bring your boat about 180 degrees to handle it! You have the right idea; there are places that rent the Hobie Outbacks. I got mine from the dealer located in Magnuson Park in Seattle (right on Lake Washington).

I just can't say enough about them. Good luck with whatever way you go! You obviously are aware of just how much fishing expands for you when done out of a kayak!

3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Well, so far I have a NativeCraft Ultimate 12 hybrid (kayoe) and a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 SOT. Each one has its good points.

Love the U-12 for its outstanding stability (flycasting standing up) and the tight maneuverability in creeks. I often paddle through the shallows standing up, and can even turn the boat simply by overweighting one pontoon (its a "pontoon" tunnel hull design).

I had a very fun day fishing along the Jetty in my Tarpon on my first go-out. There's a monster cave dwelling beast lurking out there, about 30 feet down! I marked the spot. Can't wait for the weather conditions to get user friendly for out there again. I'll cancel everything else and go. That ain't fly fishing, though, so you won't get to read about it here.

I can see that if my shoulder starts bothering me again and getting to be a problem, then I might have to trade the Tarpon in on a Hobie. However, I think the little tweak I felt in my R shoulder is due to all the casting I've been doing, and not the paddling.

4. Mike McAvoy

Mike McAvoy olddog22202

Hey Jim and Flyrodder,

Jim, hope the shoulder heals.

I want to add my plug as a supporter of the SOT for fly fishing but ..... . Flyrodder, when did Hobie set the kayaks up so you could reverse the Mirage drive and then PEDDEL backwards?

Wont work in mine although mine is an older model. I have to PADDLE when I need to backup.

Just askin'
    Mich

5. FLYRODR

FLYRODR Guest

Mich, I believe my OutBack is a 2009 model. If you're familiar with them, my rudder controls are colored red to raise and green to lower into the water. What I love about my model is that to mount the drive unit, I simply drop it into place and it automatically locks in; my previous model, I had to twist each cam lock to secure the drive unit.

Both units that I owned allowed me to reverse the drive unit, since the axle configured the same regardless of the fin direction when mounted in the drive well. As far as I know, Hobie has produced only two versions of the drive unit mounting system; both allowed reversal of the fins. I'll tell you one thing... it's the sweetest system available when trolling or working a shoreline, to be able to propel one's self in reverse. Just like fishing from a 'toon! Hands free!

6. Mike McAvoy

Mike McAvoy olddog22202

All these years and I did not know there was a reverse ....... Do you use the feature often? Being one of more than ample girth I do not know if I could lean over and reset the drive easily. I will try.
    Thanks
    Mich

7. AndreD

AndreD Member

I have been thinking about selling my Tarpon and getting a Hobie for the hands free feature and from what I have found from the kayak sites is that you can pedal in reverse but its not recommeded that you do so fast. I gueess the risk is damaging the cams. But since I don't have one, I am only passing along what I read.