PMD-PED hackle colors

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by mr trout, Aug 5, 2002.

1. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

Media:
    so here is my question. sometimes I see these flys with dun hackle and sometimes it is listed as light ginger. what is the most common/accurate dressing. I thought maybe PED's had blue dun hackle and PMD's had ginger. I really have no clue. Are there body color differences? As you can see, this particular type of mayfly I have little experience with. :CONFUSED

2. troutman101

troutman101 Member

Media:
    My observation with this particular topic is to use whichever color you have in your kit. I have used both and they seem to work just the same. I am very particular about body color and wing/tail length. If the tail is too thick, I think it looks like an extension of a mayfly body. the tail is too short or the wings are too long, it won't float right. If the body is too fat, it looks wrong to me. I'd say go sparse on everything and make sure to get the hook size right. If you intend on fishing fast current, opt for a humpy or some other hairwing. Slow water, try to spin the dubbing a little to create some segmentation or use dyed hackle quills. i also tie both parachues and hackle tip winged versions. Also, don't rule out emergers. They will produce better on more selective trout.

I am answering this question because I have asked Gary Borger, Chuck Stranahan, Sylvester Nemes and Mike Lawson this exact question. They all have given different answers. Experience is where I found my answer.

3. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

Media:
    thanks for the info, time to get at the vise some more now! seriously, that is almost as fun as fishing. anybody else think so?