NFR PNW growler tour 2014

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by troutpocket, Aug 1, 2014.

1. I just returned from a family road trip that didn't include much fishing. But I did pack my growler bottle and filled it along the way. I was pretty surprised by the range of cost for a fill but quality was good throughout. Here's what I got and price paid to fill:

Ellensburg, WA (home) - Iron Horse Brewpub $9 for IH beers, others $10-12
    Bellingham, WA - Kulshan Brewpub $12 Red and IPA
    Salem, OR - Vagabond Brewpub $15 Red Ale
    Newport, OR - Bier One Pub $18 Newport Brewing Co. Stout
    Eugene, OR - Growler U $11.00 Rogue Hazlenut Brown
    Sisters, OR - Hop n Bean $12.00 Firestone Walker Wookey Jack

My brother is in Tucson, AZ and says standard pricing down there is $16-18. What's is cost where you live?

Irafly likes this.
  2. Ellensburg, WA (home) - Iron Horse Brewpub $9 for IH beers, others $10-12
    Bellingham, WA - Kulshan Brewpub $12 Red and IPA, except i only pay $10 matching growler and all
    Salem, OR - Vagabond Brewpub $15 Red Ale
    Newport, OR - Bier One Pub $18 Newport Brewing Co. Stout
    Eugene, OR - Growler U $11.00 Rogue Hazlenut Brown
    Sisters, OR - Hop n Bean $12.00 Firestone Walker Wookey Jack

About the same elsewhere in town, depends if the growler matches or not

3. Here in Helena, growler fills are $8 for most $10 for a few specialty brews. They'll give you a free pint with the growler fill. That's at both Lewis & Clark and Blackfoot tap rooms.

Trapper

4. $7 standard or $8 specialty at Georgetown Brewing in Seattle ($2 more if you use a non-Georgetown growler). It's quick and easy too because they exchange your empty growler for a pre-filled one that's been purged of oxygen instead of just filling up your empty off a tap.

Porter, underachiever and Stonefish like this.
  5. First I'd like to know how beer is NFR. Second, unless those are prices for a 128 oz. growler, they seem a bit steep to me. As a general rule, I find the price of these craft beers to be getting near ridiculous.

6. Heh! Took me a second to get past that thread title. To the old school - non trendy beer connoiseur guys like me, growler means something entirely different. As in, "He's off to the privvy for his morning Growler". A growler tour would take on a different, less enthusiastic meaning.

7. What in the hell is a Growler. It's been many years since I quit drinking beer. I'm strictly a Bourbon drinker now.

Bonefish Jack and FlyNewbie like this.
  8. I shouldn't say as I can see the reply's coming but here at Total wine I have paid as much as 50.00 for one of the every limited Stout's.

9. I don't know about the prices but just reading about all those interesting-sounding brews made me go fetch an ale out of the spare fridge.

10. That was pretty funny!

11. Lucille is a mighty fine brew. I always get one if I happen to be someplace that has it on tap.

12. Love their Lucille and Red Chopper!

13. Budweiser, $14.00 per case in marysville,plus a five cent a can rebate in oregon,no growler required !!!!

14. No taste required either!

Irafly likes this.

15. A different meaning, but no less enthusiastic

16. Why many enjoy wine for their fruity flavors, oak barreled flavors, sharp steely finishes, certain grapes, etc..... Beer is the same....a fresh served ipa explodes with a citrusy nose and up front grapefruity or other flavor sometimes, a nice smooth bitterness. The ability to appreciate a well crafted beer does not come from a Budweiser drinker. Many ales are best served with certain foods to accentuate the flavors of both the drink and the food.

Some of my favorites

Obsidian Stout or a good porter with a good rich pizza...thinking Oregon Coast here!
    Hopped up strong IBU's ipa is good with spicy food...such as spicy sausage with cuban beans over rice :)
    Light refreshing pale ale with a grilled burger
    A deep colored yet hopped red amber with a korean kalbi flank steak and grilled veggies
    Love Tsing Tao w/ asian type rice dishes/salads

As for Budweiser it goes with processed wiener dogs covered in processed cheese and fat saturated potato chips!...Thinking South Caro....or some other state similar.

There is a big difference between Bud...and your local Brewery

17. thanks for the heads up.I've always served up johnsonville brats,deviled eggs & Sarah lee pecan pie with my budweiser's. Never tried the processed wieners with cheese ,any brand preferences ?

Jeff Dodd and Porter like this.
  18. That's a good idea. Ill let my buddies know at our local bottle shop/ tap room. I wish more people did that.

19. Well I looked up what a growler is. It's about the same thing as a large bottle of beer. Why do people have to change the name of things already out there. No wonder I'm confused all the time.

20. As noted, if you are just exchanging one of their growlers, the price is just $10. Plus, you don't have to bother to wash out the growler you are bringing back (though a quick rise is kind) and the one you are picking up has some sort of backpressure thing done so that it doesn't go flat even if you've got to store it for a day or so (as long as you don't open it).

Plus, Kulshan is just a drunk stumble from my front door. Great place.