Polarized Sun Glasses

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Tromper, Mar 5, 2003.

1. This is probably a repeated topic. I'm looking to purchase a good pair of polarized sun glasses. I don't want to spend all the kids lunch money. What do you use and find to be a decent pair for a reasonable cost. And what shade of lense do you find most helpful for the PNW.

Thanks for Your Help!

Steve

2. i like the coal lenses. I have a pair of Action Optics and I like them a lot. They work very well for me when fishing th OP and the salt. Action optics are pretty expensive but well worth the money.

3. Generally speaking I would say amber lenses for overcast or low light days (PNW) and a darker gray color for river fishing in bright sunlight(MONTANA, IDAHO, EASTERN OREGON, EASTERN WASHINGTON,ETC) I bought a pair of Bolle' wraparound dark gray polaroid bifocals (lots of lunch money!) a while back and they have lasted over ten years through 3 different presciptions. Recently I have read so many good reports on FITOVERS for people who want good polaroids but don't want to break the bank that I ordered some of those to try over my regular glasses. About $40 and they fit over regular prescription glasses and provide polarized side shields to keep the waters glare from coming in behind the main lens. The importance of side shields can't be overemphasized if you fish long hours in bright sunlight. Without them you will feel some real pain and a bloodshot eye condition if you put in some of those 12-14 hour days on the water in early summer. Ive

4. REI has some decent polarized glasses for about 15 bucks and their annual sale is on soon...

5. Where do you get these fitovers

I where prescrption glasses, and have a pair that are polarized, but have a real problem with glare. Does anyone else have this problem, and perhaps a solution?

6. I agree with the Action Optics being a pretty good pair of polarized glasses. I've owned two pair, one that had plastic lenses and another which had photochromatic lenses. Both worked well. The plastic lenses were about $60.00 and the glass were about twice that.

As for color, I prefer the amber lenses as I believe that they give better contrast. As part of a related topic, waterfowl and many other birds actually have an amber coloration in their eyes to provide better contrast. So those duck hunters with the camo don't really fool the waterfowl.

I recently watched a program on ESPN and the experts their suggested using amber in fresh water and grey in salt. Either way, polarized lenses will pay for themselves in short order due to the increased ability to spot fish in the water.

Skinny

7. Piscean, when is REI's annuals sale?

Thanks,
    Ryan

8. Where do you get these fitovers

I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I also wear glasses,but I have photo-gray lens on them and they seem to almost work like polarized lens. The reason for the photo-grays are I hate plastic lens. I also use the fitovers but I find them kinda bulky. So I just take off my glasses and use wrap around sun glasses. I only need to wear my glasses to see and I feel I don't need to see that good to fish.

Jim

9. The best lens color I've found, for both low-light and bright sunlight, is the "sandstone" color from Bolle. The problem is, however, that these glasses won't last me a year, now matter how carefully I maintain them. In spite of fancy lens cleaning solutions and soft cloths (never paper!), I end up with a foggy lace-work of scratches in the lens finish. I have a pair of $12 Angler Eyes in amber, which work well, suffer all kinds of abuse, and still aren't as scratched up after two years as the 6 mos. Bolle specials.:beathead

Either buy from the "cheap" rack at your favorite fly shop, or order high-end glasses from campmor.com or sierratradingpost.com.

I am, however, spoiled by the superior clarity and contrast provided by higher-end manufacturers. I'm always looking for a deal....;)

Any polarized glasses are better than none!

10. Do these "fitovers" wrap around so I look like that no.2 golfer of last year? When you don't win, people forget your name mighty fast. Where did you get them?. Like old man, I have no use for glasses except when I need to see. I know they are important in fly fishing else I'll cast over somebody's tube at Dry Falls and get beat up.
    Bl:thumb

11. I have the Photochromatic Copper Lens Guides Choice by Action Optics and there are worth the $140. My first few times using them I saw fish that I never knew were there. I missed a few too because I could see them so soon I would strike before they even hit the fly. It took a good hour to get used to how well they work.

12. I loved my Maui Jims w/amber lens' until somehow they got stepped on at a fateful camping trip last year. You can get them for around $120. Although they're not "made" for fishing specifically, they fit the bill great & they don't look goofy when I'm not fishing. In the mean time, I'm wearing some Wal-Mart $14 cheapies...they're polarized, they work, and my wife doesn't beat the H out of me if they get stepped on. --A note on safety: If you can't afford expensive glasses, get the cheap ones until you can. Don't go flinging sharp hooks all around your head without eye protection (unless you just don't mind NOT seeing, like OldMan).
    easygoer:eek

13. For years I used a $15 pair I got at Skagit Anglers and they served me well. Then I finally bought some Action Optics "Lochsa" and they are well worth the money.
    Go to Action Optics website for information on lens colors. I like the amber for an all-around lens.
    My advice: Get the $15 ones, use them and save for the better ones. It's must have eqipment for flyfishing. Good Luck.

14. For those of us wearing pescriptions you might try Rudy Projects RB3 model with the perscrition adapter. They are a flip up wrap around style designed for baseball players. You can buy the polarized lens to go with them. The great thing is that they have a $15 fee to replace the scratched lens no mater how they got scratched. With the perscription adapter your cost are minimized every time you have to change perscriptions.

http://www.e-rudy.com/pages/sunglasses/2002_models/rb3.htm
    The web site shows that the polarized lens are out of stock buy you can call them directly to order.

15. Thanks for all your helpful information!!

16. I have an old pair of Orvis Glasses with amber lenses. They work great, they have acrylic lenses, and I haven't had any problems with scratching...and they've been around for quite some time.

Tight Lines,
    --Matt

17. I have a pair of smiths action optics are made by smith the smiths have the same lenses but are less money I got my smiths on sale for 80$ action optics are twice that some of it is paying for the name. in my opinion smith makes some of the nicer lenses in the market:beer1

18. I like the Action Optics Tailwaters or Pilot model. First one because it takes a beating and it's cheaper, second one for the luxury of photo glass lenses that rarely get scratched. I try to match the tint to the bottom Im fishing over. Amber to slightly yellowish or copper has been very helpful for me.

19. I have used the fitovers for about three years, the only drawback is that for close work i need to take them and my RX glasses to see.

20. I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I feel the need to protect my self. I can see good without my glasses on,but for close up work like trying to thread a 3lb tippet into a size 18 eye I use my glasses with a little help.And as for casting over some one elses tube,I try to stay away from everyone as not to make a fool of myself.:thumb

Jim