Polarized Sun Glasses

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by scottmel, Jan 21, 2013.

1. scottmel

scottmel Member

Anyone have any recommendations for Smith polarized sun glasses? I had a pair that started to delaminate - bubbling of lenses around the outside edge. They are a few years old and no longer made, so I need to find a different model. My question, whenI found out they were delaminating I picked up a new pair on clearance to use on a trip. The pair I picked up have copper lenses - does anyone have any recommendations for lense colors? I was thinking rose colored would be a good utility pair. Amber may work too - I mostly fish the streams in Idaho (Silver Creek, S. Fork of the Boise, Owhyee) and in Montana (Madison, Spring Creek, Yellowstone) as well as some mountain lakes that I backpack into.

2. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

For deep canyon fishing I like amber, the best when the water is shaded most of the day. amber helps look deeper with it's lighter color - but being at the locations you said I would think a brown or darker lens would be best, that Idaho sun can be brutal during the summer months

Vuarnet used to have a "water sports model lens" that was a lighter polarized amber that I loved for deep canyon fishing.

The best darker classes I have had were from my companies discount eye care that I had ordered! serengetti brown, polarized, none scratch custom glasses I ordered with a company discount at a normal eye doctors office - original cost was some $400 but with discount only $125 and you can order any color or combinations you want with prescription and what ever frames you want. many fisherman from our work place go this route for some of the best glasses built if your company has eye care ins.

AS far as normal fishing glasses I just buy the cheap ones from a sport store. if you want the best try custom from an eye doctor on a sports frame like the "rec specs" with small wrap around head strap for racket ball!

3. NewTyer1

NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

I use Costa DelMars and I feel they can't be beat and the lenses are awesome, offering many colors and glass grades such as E 400 and such. You can't go wrong

4. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    My two favourite lenses are Oakley Shallow Blue and Smith's Photochromic Copper.
    When fishing shallower water in high-light conditions, the Copper really helps eliminate the at white glare and helps with contrast- which helps you pick out boulders, rocks, ledges...or coral, holes,eelgrass, etc.
    On those days where it's still fairly to really bright with a bit of cloud cover, the Smith Ignitor lenses are great.
    If I was (though this is mostly for my type of fishing), I'm a fan of the Ignitor or Photochromic Copper.

But take into account what others have said in regards to the lighting and amber shade.
    I'm a big Smith Optics fan, but regardless of what brand you choose, here is a chart of lens colours/shades and what they're for:
    http://www.smithoptics.ca/technology/#/Sunglass Technology/Lens Options/view/

5. fishintom

fishintom Member

Media:
    I bought a pair of Costa Del Mars in their glass green mirrored lens for a trip I took to xmas island a couple weeks ago. To test them out I took them to a local stream. I hated them because I could see every damn fish in the stream that I wasn't catching. They worked well in the darker fresh water, and I was spotting bones at the same time as my guides in xmas island (which in my opinion is one of the hardest destinations to spot bones for me to date). The versatility of these lenses is unreal. But it's probably good to try different lens colors to find what works for you best, everyone's eyes are a little bit different.

6. Ray

Ray Active Member

I have Smith Mavericks w/ blue mirror polarized lenses and like them. They are great for bright conditions and have good coverage. Smith's glass lenses are far superior to their plastic ones in terms of optical quality. I do wish that I had a pair of polarized glasses for low light conditions.

7. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

I would call Smith and ask them what models they are currently selling that have frames similar to yours. That's what I ended up doing. I currently own two pairs of Smiths, one with silver flash and photochromatic copper and blue mirror. One pair has the Passage frames, which are no longer being made. Smith told me to try Backdrop or Tenet. The other pair I think has the Otis frame, which aslo are no longer being made.

8. scottmel

scottmel Member

The Smith Ignitor Lens is the one I'm leaning towardsbuying. If I didn't already have the copper lense I would go wih the Photochromic Copper.

9. fjthompsoniii

fjthompsoniii New Member

Smith Guides Choice with photochromic copper lenses. Best glasses made imho.

10. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    Check out knockaround ...

http://knockaround.com/shop/sunglasses/polarized

My son turned me on to them since he wanted some of their sun glasses for Christmas. while I was ordering his, I ordered a couple of their polarized glasses for myself. I used the Amber ones fishing a couple weeks back in Cle Elum. Worked well and who cares if you step on them or lose them at those prices.

Stew
    P.S. ..and they have a moving sale on ...

11. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    Holy jeez, I guess I was really tired when I typed my thing and made those grammatical errors.

On another note, my 'quiver' or sunglasses is the Chief in photochromic copper (for those bonefish days), Collector model in polarized gray-green for those 'at the beach days', and the Soundcheck model in grey-green (non-polarized) for just hanging around town.
    Ignitors lens is on my to-do list.
    If you're going to drop the money on a good pair of glasses, I would take into consideration the type of fishing you plan on doing, and where you plan on doing it...

12. steelydan

steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

I have the Smith Guides Choice in Polarchromic Cu, but I think they called this lense something else 10 years or so ago when I got them.
    I wanted the lighted tint I could get for the lovely PNW gray pallor that we fish in.
    Great glass, great frames.
    I got an updated style, Backdrop, in photochromic amber, and it is nice, but noticeably lighter in tint, more yellow.
    Both are great glasses.
    ONly buy glass, don't get CR39 or polycarbonate.

13. Dorylf

Dorylf Oregon Member

I have a pair of Smith glasses where the frame cracked under normal use and, on another forum, it was suggested that Smith has a great warranty and I should send them back and they'd likely replace the glasses. I didn't ever get around to it, but I'll pass that idea along for what it's worth.

Oh, and if you send them back and they get replaced, please let me know, maybe I'll yet do the same.

14. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've had two pairs of Smiths and neither pair were anywhere near as comfortable as the Revo Headways (bronze lens) I have now. The Smiths pinch my head after a few ours of continuous wear. The Revos are hands-down the most comfortable frames I've ever had. Excellent optics, too. I also have a pair of Costa Double Hauls (copper lens) which are very nice as well, but Revo gets the nod for being just a bit nicer in my opinion. Revos are also made In the USA.

15. JE

JE Active Member

Dorylf is spot on about their warranty, send the old ones in and they will more likely than not replace or let you pick a new model if yours is discontinued. Contact customer service first and they will give you info on where to send. I've had great experiences with them including within the past year.

16. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Good glasses definitely make a big difference. The copper/brown lenses are popular because they actually increase definition and depth perception, both of which help you see the fishes better (but at the expense of true color definition). Gray lenses block more light and are appropriate for very bright conditions, but are not as good at increasing definition. Gray also has correct color definition, but that's why the copper/brown lenses are better at spotting fish.

I gotta disagree with Steelydan about glass. As long as you know the pros and cons of poly and glass, then poly can be a great lens material. In my opinion CHEAP plastic lenses have given high quality plastic lenses a bad rap. Glass is still optically superior, but only if it's really good glass. And to beat high quality plastic lenses, it has to be really good glass. Glass is heavier than plastic and also breaks when dropped on things like rocks and reels. On the plus side glass is way harder to scratch, will not be stained by chemicals like plastic will, and can be the best optical quality you can get. Pros for polycarbonate are it's much lighter weight, shatter and break proof, lower price point and totally acceptable optical quality.

Here's the shades I have and what I think of them:
    Smith- have had several pair and always been happy. Lightweight and easy to wear all day. Robust frames. No complaints about lens quality. All mine have been polarized copper polycarbonite lenses. Large frames and arms mean not doing the hand-beside-the-head-blocking-the-light thing to see into the water. I covet a new pair of Smiths with their Techlite glass lenses, which are fairly lightweight for glass, but may be a bit fragile because they're ground thin. Make mine polarchromatic copper, please...
    Ray Ban- a couple plastic lensed glasses that worked fine. One pair of classic Aviatiors in dark gray lenses with silver frames- they look badass. Very good optical quality from the glass lenses and very nice for those bright days and long drives. Don't use 'em for fishing because the lenses are the wrong color and too dark.
    Revo- most expensive shades I've owned. Glass lenses are amber colored. The best optical quality I've had, hands down. Tint on the lenses just seems more "perfect" than others. Beautiful and make me look like a slightly portly rock star. But, they're heavy. Heavy enough that I almost didn't buy them. They start to hurt my nose after a couple hours and leave red marks there when I take them off. Major bummer, but I wear them anyway. I haven't worn them fishing because of the weight, plus I'd cry if I dropped them in the water. I have no doubt they'd be awesome fish spotters.
    Maui Jim- One pair I bought last year, the Ho' Okipa style with bronze lenses. My new favorite fishing shades! So incredibly light they disappear when I put them on. True all day comfort. Bronze plastic lens is high quality and the tint is great for fishing. The tiny, minimal frames keep them lightweight but don't block any light so you do the hand-next-to-the-head-blocking-the-light thing. And the minimal frames would be easier to break than burlier models. But the high quality plastic lenses, good performance, ridiculous comfort, and good looks put them out front for me. For now...
    Native- don't own a pair, but I sell them at work and can recommend them. They came out with a new polycarbonate lens last year that, according to them, is as good as any glass on the market. Well.... whatever. But their stuff is very good. Most of their models are outdoor sport styled, with good coverage and anti-fogging vents. Think triathlete and you'll get a good visual. Lots of styles and lens colors available.
    Costa- have never had a pair on, but I'm dying to try them. A lot of folks who have them say they're the best. Bewildering choice of lens colors and tints (they are two different things) but may well be worth the price.

17. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I quit buying polarized sunglasses, I always lose them and I hate to throw away $$.

18. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Chris-try polaroids again-don't give up. They are the greatest for driving and fishing. But next time use a set of Croakies or a similar retainer on them. Once the retainer is slipped over the end of the glasses frame whip finish it into place with some 6/0 or heavier thread. This prevents walking under brush or trees while fishing and having the glasses pulled off by a branch. I lost a pair of glasses on the Deschutes years ago when that very thing happened. Also lost some that fell out of a shirt pocket when I bent over to land a fish. The retainer puts a stop to those fiascos.

19. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

When I had laser surgery I went from always wearing glasses to only needing reading glasses. This made me nervous and resulted in a bit of "dry eye" action due to the additional exposure. This occured before I started fly fishing.

Shopped around and found some polarized safety glasses at a reasonable price. These are at a price (about $33) that you can afford multiple pairs in different lens colors for different conditions. I have yellow, copper and smoke. They don't scratch easily at all and work well. Polycarbonate, polarized, wrap-around lenses.

The brand/model is the Edge Dakura. I got mine through Safety Glasses USA (http://www.safetyglassesusa.com).

I know everyone has their own brand preferences, but these have been reliable performers for me.

20. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    I really like Suncloud optics. Super lightweight frames and good optics for about $40 a pair at REI and fly shops but can be found on discount websites for as low as $20 from time to time.