Polarized Sun Glasses

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by scottmel, Jan 21, 2013.

1. olypenjeeper

olypenjeeper Active Member

I have two pairs of Smith Gallegos, one in amber and the other in grey. I think they are very well built and look good too. The price is lower than many other name brands. sometimes Zappos has them for cheaper.

2. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    have you tried sending them back to smith? I bet they send you a new pair of something similar...

I like native sunglasses

3. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Not to hijack the thread but what's the option for us old guys who have bifocals/trifocals?

I was just telling the owner of a local fly shop that getting into the fly game at the age of 61 is a visual challenge. The flies and leaders and tippets are so much smaller and difficult to see as opposed to gear fishing.

I've been researching over-the-glasses polarized options, prescription sunglasses and polarized fishing sunglasses with reader lenses. Too many options; not enough input!

So what to do?

Info appreciated! :)

4. scottmel

scottmel Member

Dipnet likes this.
  5. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Dipnet, in the past I have used polaroid wrap-around custom made bifocals made with glass. They are perfect vision wise and for keeping stray sun from coming in from the side. But they do have 3 downsides: They are heavy, they are very expensive and once your prescription changes you have to do it all over again.

These days I use Cocoons that fit over my bifocals that cost $50. I like them better than the Fitover brand. A website for Cocoons will show the various styles, lens colors and prices along with dimensions that allow you to fit the Cocoon to the exact size of your bifocal frame. They aren't in the same league as some of the high quality models mentioned above but they are darned good for the price and really protect the sides of your eyes from stray rays. I have them in grey, amber and yellow to deal with the different kinds of days I fish on or drive.

Check them out at SunglassGiant, they offer free shipping and no tax and have been very prompt about shipping.

Dipnet likes this.
  6. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Dipnet, most manufacturers have a program to have their glasses made with your prescription. I know for fact that Oakley, Smith and Maui Jim all do this. Others may too, but I have no first hand experience. You can get all the info you need about this on the manufacturers' websites.

Dipnet likes this.
  7. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

Media:
    Chad, you should totally get a job somewhere selling outdoor equipment. I bet you'd be good at it.

8. troutpounder

troutpounder Active Member

I have a pair of Natives with copper lenses and they are AWESOME! Life time warranty even on the lenses!

9. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Media:
    The OP specified Smiths and don't want to hijack the thread but since you asked...

I'm an old guy that wears progressive bifocal glasses. I needed a new pair of fishing sunglasses and most sunglasses manufacturers offer a very limited selection of their lenses in prescription, and may not even offer bifocals. I heard about Drivewear prescription polarized photochromic lenses available in progressive bifocals and suitable for moderate wraparound frames so I called around local optical shops to find a dealer. Designed for... well, driving, unlike most other photochromics they are polarized AND uniquely will darken in the car behind a windshield in visible light as well as outdoors in UV light. I find them great for fishing.

They start out with an amber tint in cloudy weather that increases contrast and cuts glare from water to see under the surface, and removes a surprising amount of glare from falling rain, and on the windshield for clearer vision. As light increases to shaded sunlight the lenses go from the amber tint to copper. In bright sunlight the lenses darken to a medium brown tint.

Because they are prescription progressive bifocal glasses my insurance vision plan covered them and the (B&L Predator) frames. The total cost was low enough that they were paid for 100% by insurance with no out of pocket.

When my prescription needs to be updated I'll get Drivewear lenses again but I'll get flatter frames, possibly with removable side shields because a wraparound lens bends light and makes it more difficult to thread the eye of tiny flies with gossamer tippet than a flat lens.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2

Dipnet and Mark Kraniger like this.
  10. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Thanks for the info, Brian! I'm going to check into my vision insurance to see what the costs may be associated with Drivewear lenses and then look for local providers.