Polling WFF for a project in my entomology class at UW

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by Gary Knowels, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Hey guys and gals,

I'm a student at UW and am taking an entomology class. We were assigned with a project of our choosing as long as it is insect related. I have decided (and cleared it with the prof) that my project will be a poll of fly fishers about their favorite or most memorable hatch to fish. I would appreciate as many people's opinions as possible, but there are some guidelines.

There are 28 orders of insects we are studying and I want to get as close to all of them represented as possible. 2 or 3 from each order is great, but I don't need 30 caddisfly votes. The orders are as follows

Araneae-spiders
    opiliones-daddy long legs
    acari-mites/ticks
    scorpiones-scorpions
    pseudoscorpiones-pseudoscorpions
    uropygi-vinegaroons
    solfugida-windscorpions
    Collembola-Springtails
    Archaeognatha-bristletails
    Thysanura/zygentoma-silverfish
    Ephemeroptera-mayflies
    Odonata-damselflies dragonflies
    Plecoptera-stoneflies
    Trichoptera-caddisflies
    Orthoptera-grasshoppers, crickets, katydids
    Phasmatodea-phasmids, stick insects
    Dermaptera-earwigs
    Isoptera-termites
    Blattodea-cockroaches
    Mantodea-mantids mantises
    Thysanoptera-thrip
    Hemiptera-cicads, spittle bugs, leaf hoppers, whiteflies, aphids
    Phthiraptera-lice
    Coleoptera-beetles
    Neuroptera-lacewings, alderflies, dobsonflies
    Lepidoptera-butterflies, moths
    Siphonaptera-fleas
    Diptera-flies
    Hymenoptera-ants, bees, wasps

I realize that many of these may be unobtainable, but lets see what we can come up with

Also I would like to get the location (general, not specific ie a river name, lake name or type of water, what side of the state or out of state and elevation) and the situation.

An example may be fishing with a lure imitating hymenoptera (lets say ants) on an alpine lake in the cascade mountains during August underneath the branches of a larch tree.

This is not a shameless attempt to steal fishing spots. If you are concerned you can PM me a reply, but I think it would be nice for all of the members to be able to see the incredible variety of insects and situations that we imitate.

Thanks for everything!

2. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Heres one from years ago that many have seen I'm sure. One of the best times I had on the mighty Deschutes was early in the years we've fished there { aproximatly 35years}We were hikeing up the canyon from trout creek in early June and fishiing evey little space between the brush and alder trees along the bank. We were into the Salmon fly hatch in a big way.Those are the big stone flies that the river is famous for. Our friends the Brothers had been fishing this time for years before and showed us the flies they used by far, the improved sofa pillow and slight variations. We hit the time so well this year that every where there were stone flies so thick you had them in, on, or about everywhere you could see, And of course feel. we had them hanging frome all parts of the rods and reels and brush and tents and covering the table and of course from all body parts that they could reach. I remember having them hanging from the rod so heavy they affected the action of your cast. They would come out of nowhere seemingly and land on your face, or hat, or glasses. that was because they are such poor flyers that they wobble all over when trying to land. That was the best we have ever done when trying to hit the peak of the Hatch. we found that though they stay to lay their eggs in the river that they will fly to exremely high places trying to find a mate. They were as high as the canyon walls at times and I was sure that many would fail before they found the river again.There's nothing like it.

3. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Stone flys on the Rogues holy water. There are so many that branches of trees bend over. There were mating ball the size of grape fruit rolling down the river. The fish gorge themselves within the first 1/2 hour after they start flying. Trunks of trees have them 2 inches think and you can't even see the bark. Epic enough for you !!!

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

You need to take Taxon out for lunch.

Check this:
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...891-Lakes-Biotic-Survey-(a-new-database-query)
    and this:
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php/75566-WA-Lakes-Biotic-Survey

I met Roger at the Jimmy Green two years ago. It was brief but rewarding. He had on a name tag reading Roger Rohrbeck and beneath that Taxon. I introduced myself as Ed and I go by Mumbles. He stopped, reversed direction, dove into one of his bags and pulled out a hatch chart that he had carried along just for me. I introduced him to my girls and wife as the bug expert of the site. He has suggested several books for me to learn enough about entomology to shorten the learning curve. Every time I see him I'm sure I owe him lunch!

5. Ephemeroptera-mayflies (sulfurs) on the South Holston River in eastern Tennessee. I've fished this hatch wet wading in the summer (epic) and in the winter (nearly as epic) with snow on the banks, and it never ceases to amaze. It comes off like clockwork. When the water starts coming down when TVA stops generating, the bugs start to pop and the fish start feeding. And there are a LOT of fish.

6. Gary Knowels

Great guys! Keep them coming, I'm going to update the original post bu putting the orders in bold that I no longer need examples from.

Ed, I had already come to realize that Taxon is an incredible wealth of insect knowledge. I'd buy his lunch to sit down with him and talk bugs, but probably in about 10 weeks when I have a much better knowledge base.

For those interested my term paper topic is the composition, structure and function for trichoptera (caddisfly) larva silk.

7. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Gary, remember that photograph I shared the night we did Korean BBQ? Here's part of the story;

I'd just finished my sandwich for lunch and opened a small bag of chips when my fins begin touching weeds. The desert lake I was fishing had a large shoal and I had kicked my way onto it. Afraid I would soon hook bottom, I reeled in and decided to replace my shortening tippet. Adding a new three foot piece of flourocarbon and tying on a damsel nymph I was set for action. Through most of the day damsel nymphs were wiggling their way shoreward through the shallow water and up the stalks of the tules and other lakeside vegetation. The mature fish knew the game, intercept the nymphs on their way to safety and rub up against the tules to knock off the emerging damsels. I knew the game too, this wasn't my first rodeo. Positioning myself about four feet away from the bank I'd lay a cast parallel to the vegetation and work my nymph along the weedline. The fish were spooky in the skinny clear water, stealth was critical. I made my way along the shoreline very slowly watching and casting lightly, it reminded me of stillhunting for whitetails. Every so often I'd see a cattail bend slightly then straighten up, the trout were working in close and feeding well. On my next cast, just as I began my retrieve, my line went tight. Not a jerk or a tap but tight, like when you hung bottom, but this time it was different. The bottom began to move, right toward deeper water...

8. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I'VE been in many hatch's all over the western united states but the one i remember the most was what i call a "BAD" hatch . i was young and had a girl friend with me in the pan handle of idaho on some medium sized river . the sky all of a sudden filled with "lady bugs" the cute little spotted bugs flying all over ! soon they started landing on us , and soon they started biting the hell out of us !!! hard ! so hard we started running and didn't stop till we got to the car . i never had been bitten by one in all my years as a kid playing with them !

it was almost as bad as the horse flies up by the canadian boarder that would land on you - latch on to as much meat as they could , and use their wings to try and rip the meat off any bare skin they could sink their little teeth in ! i figured the female lady bugs needed blood for their eggs and we were the only blood around !!!

9. Gary Knowels

No ant/bee stories yet? Or caddisflies? Grasshoppers? Cicadas?

10. John Hammond

John Hammond New Member

Orthoptera-grasshoppers, crickets, katydids. Hoppers to be exact. August. Tetons. Just about any flowing water. Holy cow! That kind of fishing gives one false confidence in their abilities...

11. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

What's happened to college these days? You don't even have the bikini hatch listed.

OK, working with the restrictions, hoppers in August and September in MT--the Clark Fork or Cut Bank Creek.

I only did it once, but the black mayfly hatch on the upper Williamson in Oregon is a must for a bucket list. It was on private land, just a few of us and more blood thirsty mosquitoes than ever existed in the whole state of Alaska, but for a few days that section of the river comes alive and rainbows literally converge from many miles away to gorge themselves into fat footballs. The black mayflies are large bugs and delicately beautiful. The hatch only seems to happen for about an hour around 5:30 PM and you have to be in the almost exact spot with the perfect fly. You will be covered in mayflies, hanging off your nose, hat, glasses, everthing, and you will have to be almost liquid in mosquito repellent, but for a very short while, it is as good as it gets. The rest of the day you will do nothing but feed mosquitoes, even with liberal doses of bug juice. Funny--no desire to return, just really glad we did it.

12. Gary Knowels

Thanks guys!

Bill, UW is perpetually cloaked in gray rain clouds during spring quarter. Its the summer quarter entomology class that gets the prolific sorority girl bikini hatch.

13. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Cicada hatch on the Green River, Utah. First and only time I've fished it. The brown trout are wary, but reluctant to pass up the big mouthful of lunch. Most memorable hatch to date.

Sg

14. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Green drake in June on Pine Creek PA.

Go Red Sox,
    cds

15. Matt Hutch

Matt Hutch Member

Well it looks like you have enough stonefly examples, but that's definitely what I would have said. It's pretty hard to beat a good salmon fly hatch if you hit it at the right time. I imagine that stoneflies are going to be one of the most popular picks if not the most popular.

By the way, has anyone fished a scorpion before? That'd be something I would like to see!

16. faulke

faulke bozone transplant

Trichoptera - I'm not sure I've seen anything quite like the Mother's Day caddis hatch on the Ruby River. I've never seen so many bugs in my life. It was like fishing in a blizzard, getting pelted by a constant upstream swarm of fluttering caddis. The fish must have been so full that they wouldn't touch anything I threw at them. Regardless of only one fish to hand, it was an incredible experience.

17. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

My keen angling instincts tell me that this wouldn't suck.

18. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Adams and I were riding our bikes up into the closed section on Icicle Creek above the Chatter creek guard station two years ago to fish in the upper part when we had to ride through a caddis hatch so thick we were forced to breathe through our noses-it was an uphill stretch, and we were already breathing hard as it was!

19. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

I've got two for you. 1. Travelling Sedges in BC. Kump lake, Ernest lake, Knoff Lake and others. Inch long caddis hatching and making their run for the shore, leaving wakes like little motorboats than suddenly there's a large splash and no more bug...
    2. Dragonfly nymphs in ***** Lake, near Eureka Montana. Turn over any piece of wood by the shore and you would see 20 or more of them, an incredible population in a very rich lake. An imitation of the nymph cast is the shallow end of the lake brought strike after strike until I ran out of bugs.

20. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

I forgot Mormon Crickets !!! Very cool !!!