Poly leader as a tip?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Ringlee, May 3, 2009.

1. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I like the idea of clear poly leaders. How much do the 14' weigh? Thinking of putting some on some on some skagit lines for the summer.

Any one uses these leaders on skagit set ups instead of T14 etc.?

2. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    The Airflo 14' floating poly weighs 40grns. This is what Tim Rajeff recommends for a floating tip on Airflo skagit heads.

3. Ringlee

Media:
    Thanks for the info.

4. Randall Dee

Randall Dee Castaway

Home Page:
    Poppy....have you cast that set up? I don't suppose it would work with their compact skagit? Just doesn't seem like it would transition.

5. Bert Kinghorn

Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

Media:

If your interest just having a clear tip, you can get the standard 15 foot Rio sink tips in a clear intermediate sink rate in nearly any line size to balance most any Skagit line made.

I would not be surprised if similar tips were available from other linemakers as well.

6. Ringlee

Media:
    This is the rig I am trying to put it on. A 390 compact on the TFO 5 switch.

7. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    I have cast this setup some. More importantly, I have sold the 14' floating poly leader to many customers to use as a floating tip on Airflo skagit lines. So far no one has complained it didn't work. The floating poly leaders work well on scandi heads so I see no reason to think they won't go on a skagit head.

8. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

If you are used to casting heavy flies and heavy sinktips on your Skagit setup for winter, and use one of these polyleaders this summer for a floating setup, let it soak after you set the anchor. Let it soak and than some.

9. willj

willj New Member

Doesn't Rio make a floating tip that would be better on a skagit than a poly? Maybe Rajef recommends the poly because Airflo doesn't offer a floating tip?

10. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost Member

For my Rio Skagit 400 I've been using a 15' Rio 8W Floating tip looped to a, clear 5' Airflo Salmon Floating Poly leader looped to, 3' of P-Line CXX 12 LB. moss green blood knotted to, 4' of P-Line CXX 10 lb. moss green. For a total poly, copolymer leader length of 12', for my Lamiglas 12'6" 6/7 LS 1256. I think the same set up would work nice with the 390 compact or maybe with the Rio 7W Floating tip, just shorten your copolymer leader lengths a bit to match your 11' TFO 5W Switch. 2'3" of 12 lb. blood knotted to 3'3" of 10 lb. For a total poly, copolymer leader length of 10 1/2'.

11. Coonhound Jed

Coonhound Jed New Member

Media:
    Chris, in my experience the polyleader doesn't have enough mass to act as a proper anchor for skagit lines, i agree that the only reason that rajeff recommends them is because there is no floating tip from airflo. why not use the skagit floater? I use the floating polyleader on my scandi setup for the summer/fall and it is money except for the occasional case of "spagetti swirl" that causes me to replace it.
    jed

12. Randall Dee

Randall Dee Castaway

Home Page:
    I haven't tried this set up, that's why I'm interested. I'm new to polyleaders and am looking forward to trying them this summer. I just cast my first skagit head last year. It's my understanding that the scandi heads have a front taper that helps them transition down into the polyleader and a skagit head does not. Just seems like it would be clunky, especially with the shorter thicker diameter of the compact skagit head ending abruptly at the beginning of the polyleader. What am I missing?

13. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:
    I use the fast sink poly leader as a tip for the 420 compact skagit on a 6wt tfo switch. Works like a champ. oh and I use the floating poly leaders on all of my skandi heads, AFS, Compact Scandi, Power taper, and Balistic. I agree that there is no reason that a floating poly wouldn't work on a compact skagit.

14. Randall Dee

Randall Dee Castaway

Home Page:
    Okay, sounds like they work great. I'm not trying to be a wise guy, just trying to understand. If the polyleaders work so well on a skagit head, why would a person need both a skagit head and a scandi head for the same rod? Does the scandi head work well with all but the floating polyleaders? Maybe not enough of an anchor with the floating poly/skagit combo?

15. Ringlee

Media:
    I have used the skagit floater in the past. Im trying to avoaid lengthening the head way out with the tip, leader, fly.
    Im using rigs right now right around 30 feet from head to fly on my switch rods. They bomb! Trying to recreate this W/O T-14. I was thinking the 14' poly leader would be slightly longer creating a little more anchor. It will still be longer than the lines I made, but not too long to make it a pain on a switch rod.

16. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Media:
    They work............as a techy line geek says to me many a time...Swrow Down!!!!

17. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    I don't think anybody NEEDS skagit and skando heads for the same rod. But it sure is fun to have both. I prefer poly or mono leaders on my skando heads, Density Compensated/tapered or one of the Ts like T14 for my skagits.
    When I fish a floating tip on a skagit head I usually rig a lighter skagit head than I might when fishing tips, use a 15' floating tip with 10-12' of mono, and cast skando style with it...I call this skandit casting. It's gas for summertime, and you can fish close in and farther away with it too...but mend while the line's in the air if you can.

good times. c'mon, summer!

18. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I think compact skagit 25' plus polyleader floating 14' cast just like Scandi head 35'. I have both heads and two polyleaders (intermedia/floating) from Poppy. and his suggestion is right. The shorter compact skagit head just provide other opportunities to loop dry leader or wet tips. The extended dry polyleader really stabilized the T&G cast. Of course you can cut the scandi head back to make it like skagit head.

19. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

I have had difficultly with floating poly leaders as far as their ability to stay afloat. Anyone else? I am not certain that they recommend treating them with anything.

20. ZigZag

ZigZag Member

Media:
    portland oregon, Chico California, Tahoe, Reno NV.
    Im really into this thread. I was thinking about going Scandi for the summer, all my two hander experience is with a Skagit setup. I want something light to skate drys and small wet flys this summer. Do you find that the diameter of the Skagit head makes for a less delicate presentation? Mending line in close quarters seems to make alot of water disturbance? How much would a Scandi Line Improve presentation?