Polychete worm presentation and season

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Ybsong, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Ybsong Member

Seattle, wa
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    I have a couple of these flies in my box, and have only used them occasionally (targeting SRC) with null results, followed with the realization that I have no idea how to present the flies nor when to use them. I've read of others having success with them. Any polychete fans out there? Would love some advice... ybs
  2. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +773 / 0
    dead drift in a strong current, or twitchy pause retreive.
  3. Ybsong Member

Seattle, wa
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    Is it best when using floating or intermediate line? Mine have brass beads on the head, so does have some sink, should I keep it off the bottom?
  4. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +773 / 0
    I would think either or, floating line would probably be better for the jigging up and down motion,to get them to undulate. Whereas intermediate would be good for dead drift/swinging in the current, but it wont give you the same up and down motion. also the intermediate doesn't require a long leader so it may keep you more in touch with the fly when the current puts a belly in your line.
  5. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,053 / 1
    Indicator!
    Nick Clayton and Kcahill like this.
  6. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    Found this
    Trippy fellas

These worms reproduce sexually, and most do it externally, though not all. The reproductive organs of the female release the eggs into her body cavity, where they complete their maturation. Once the eggs reach maturity, the female will release them into the surrounding water through a small opening in her body, or by rupturing her body, which quickly results in her death. Sperm from the male worms will find the eggs and fertilize them as they float amongst the plankton.

Read more: Life Cycle of a Polychaete | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5344364_life-cycle-polychaete.html#ixzz2LgQz92yF
  7. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +370 / 0
    Hmmmm....polychaete? These are the same things I knew as a kid as "pile worms", right? We'd find them under beach rocks or on the pilings and use them for what we called pile and flag perch in the lower Sound.
  8. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    Did you ever get bit as a kid?
    It sucked
  9. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +370 / 0
    Oh yeah!
    Those little suckers can bite!!! :eek: