Polyleaders in lakes?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by troutpocket, Jan 4, 2013.

1. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Anyone running these for stillwater fishing?

I went through my gear bag recently to inventory for spring and found I need to re-stock my tapered leaders. I go through 6-8 of these things per year on my sinking lines. That adds up pretty quick and got me wondering about investing in a couple polyleaders with sink rates to match my lines. Then I'm only replacing the tippet as needed rather than swapping out the whole leader after a few outings.

Questions for those who use them:
    • How does tippet attachment work? Loop-to-loop? Blood/surgeons knot? I can imagine that cutting back the polyleader a couple inches every time you add tippet would chew them up pretty quickly.
    • Do you notice any improvement in turnover, particularly with bunny leeches and other bulky patterns?
    • Any drawbacks with using a polyleader compared to a traditional mono tapered leader?
    thanks in advance . . .

2. ScottD

ScottD New Member

I fish an intermediate polyleader on my 3wt when I want to get unweighted flies down deeper with that rod. Never tried the floating polyleaders. I use a loop to loop connection for the tippet. I like the setup...and go through tapered leaders at a much slower rate.

3. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    There's a bit of mono sticking out the the business end of the polyleader. I've been attaching some tippet to that and just trying to make the knots as small as possible so as to not get into the coated section to fast. I'm going to try attaching the tippet with small loops in hopes of making the leader last longer.

I don't notice much difference in casting, but I'm inexperienced. At your level you might notice some difference. They cost less than a tapered floro leader so it's worth a try.

4. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Never user poly leaders much so excuse the possibly dumb question, but sink rates aside, if the idea is to reduce leader consumption by using loop to loop tippers couldn't u accomplish something similar with a shortish mono leader and a loop? I dunno...maybe I'm missing something.

5. Sourdoughs

Sourdoughs -Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist

Media:
    I started using a 10' clear intermediate on the end of my clear intermediate lake line with 2' of fluoro tippet, and I'm really happy with it. They come with a loop-to-loop connection on each end (although the first one I got didn't have it, and I sent it back which they replaced). Since it's tapered, in general bugs turn over well. Haven't found any drawbacks yet. Also haven't tried the floating version, but would be curious to hear how they work.

6. Sourdoughs

Sourdoughs -Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist

Media:
    These poly leaders are tapered, so they cast well at 10', and are supposed to be as invisible as fluoro which most intermediate lines are not. Some fishermen like to have their bugs as far from a visible line as possible, especially in gin clear lakes with spooky fish.

7. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Yep I totally understand the concept. Just trying to picture how a poly leader would be a benefit over a 10' tapered mono leader with a couple feet of fluro looped on the end.

Olive bugger likes this.
  8. troutpocket

Media:
    Nick - that is certainly an option. The concept that interests me with polyleaders is they sound like a "permanent" tapered leader that only needs tippet replacement. I certainly notice a difference when casting factory tapered leaders vs those I build myself. If they really do a good job turning over long leaders (they are advertised to use the same material in their core as fly line, therefore transferring more energy to the leader at the end of the cast) then they may be better performing and cheaper option over a few years. I worry a little about a hinging effect and added knot bulk at the loop-to-loop connection that would cancel out any benefit . . .maybe I'm overthinking this :rolleyes:

9. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

I'm old school, but I've always just ties my own leaders for sinking lines. I keep them simple and short. Usually a couple of feet of maxima 20 lb, a short piece of 12 lb. them 2x leader.....some 4 x if the water is clear. I fish a lot and these always at least last through a season.

Olive bugger likes this.
  10. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Gotcha. If they helped turn over and lasted longer I could definitely see the advantage. I often loop my tippet to mono leaders myself...hence why I asked.

Overthinking it? Hell, that's half the fun of this stillwater addiction :)

Irafly likes this.
  11. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    I have bought a couple sinking Polyleaders. The "trout" version did not have a loop for the tippet end but I tied one and attach tippet that way. The "steelhead" version already had a loop tied in the tippet end.

I'm not a great caster, but it seems like it turns over heavy patterns pretty well. I don't know for sure if it's better than a standard mono leader, but it seemed like it might be. A benefit for me is that the poly leader seemed more resistant to wind knots and the thick coating makes them easy to remove if you do manage to get one. The packaging gives some guidance on what the turnover is like; "trout" version says it will turnover between 2'-10' of 2#-12# level tippet (or something like that). I found that it needed a shorter tippet for a heavy wooly bugger but I'm not a very good caster.

The only downside is price. They are more expensive than mono leaders, but I was burning through mono leaders pretty quickly so it was worth the price; I also wanted a sinking option for my floating line.

Have you looked into furled leaders at all? I've made some myself and they can be a lot nicer than knotless mono. bluesky furled leaders look pretty good, but they are also easy to make yourself if you are into that sort of thing.

troutpocket likes this.
  12. troutpocket

Media:
    I tie my own leaders for indicator fishing and it works great. But I like a factory tapered leader for casting with my sinking lines.

13. WA-Fly

WA-Fly Active Member

Media:
    I have fished poly leaders before I thought they were alright but tough to cast they are great for trolling though

14. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I was just about to comment on the fact that the Polyleaders will not work for indicatoring because the peg will not slip up far enough. I guess I don't intermediate or sink line fish enough because those tapered leaders seem to last forever for me.

15. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    I used mine for indicatoring in rivers a few times. I can't say how well they work because I'm the world worst or unluckiest indicator nympher.

16. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

was wondering about the Furled leader myself. as they are advertised to cast bushy and bead head fly's better ?
    and agree with that my tapered leaders on my sinking lines last a long time. for lakes that is. not the case with sink tip lines for rivers.

17. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    I find that furled leaders seem to turn bigger flies over a little better. Some of it may be in my head, but the ones I have made feel much more like an extension of the fly line.

18. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

"Blue" makes and sells furled leaders. She sent me one last year but I never needed to use it.It looked very well done! If I threw more big streamers or buggers I'd surely look into these "power leaders" for an advantage in turn over. maybe a p.m. to her site could get you some leaders to buy or more info!

19. troutpocket

Media:
    Digging up this old thread to update my experience this spring/summer with a 10' fast sinking polyleader on my type 5 sinker. I like it. Casts nice, turns over larger bugs (biggest I fish regularly is a #6 conehead bunny leech) and the biggest benefit . . . no spool memory! Lays out flat right off the reel.

I rig it with 3-4' of 1x or 2x fluoro tippet. I fish it about 20% trolling to scout new areas, 40% casting/stripping, and 40% hanging vertical in 20+ feet of water to target fish feeding on the deeper flats. That's my report.

Irafly and Mark Kraniger like this.
  20. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I have unfortunately sat down next to trout to many times and watched him work vertical magic with that poly leader. I feel I will need to attempt it myself now.