Pond fishing in cold weather

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by rockthief, Dec 7, 2011.

1. rockthief

rockthief Fly fishing = food for my soul

I was feeling crazy, had to get out of the house so I grabbed a couple three weights and drove to the pond south of town. I did not expect much but I want to cast these two new rods on the water. Dang if the fish would not leave my flies alone, the fish being bluegills and lmb. It has been a terrible trout year for me and this short outing still has me smiling. THe weather is even colder now so I am going out one more time and see what happens. It sure was a pleasant surprise to have those fish hammer my soft hackles. Life is good. Seeing six different species of hawks plus a couple osprey were bonuses. I am grateful for days like this, I really am.

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    What are the temps over there? On the east side of the Cascades it's been unseasonably warm and I was thinking of hitting the local lmb/panfish ponds, but I'm not sure how to fish for these guys in the cold.

3. rockthief

39 degrees, 40s when the sun is out, but I don't know what temperature of the water is. THe most and biggest fish - I be very patientt and let the fly sink, then retrieive slowly, let the ffly sink again, retrieve...

4. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Thanks for the tip. It's about the same temp here. I'll give the slow retrieve a try and see how it goes.

5. BruceAC

BruceAC Member

Sometimes i think Bluegill are a fisherman's best friend....
    they have saved/made the day for me MANY times
    and they give a darned good tug as well

6. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

I agree!
    Rockthief; what depth were you fishing? Using a floating line, intermediate,...?
    Hadn't even occured to me to try for bass or 'gills in December - it might be fun!

7. rockthief

bluegill are wonderful fish indeed. Greg I used floating lines, furled leaders with 4 lb tippet. I let the fly sink for 10 to 20 seconds and then became impatient. Often there a fish would slam the fly just as I began the retrieve.If I retrieved too fast there were no hits. Slowly was the deal here.
    Would have rpllied sooner but have been ill for several days.

8. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Okay. Sounds easy.

I think those fish just watch the fly until you make a slight movement with it, then they'll pounce on it like a cat. I've seen them do this in warm weather months, but never tried it this time of year. May have to give it a go.

9. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

Media:
    in my tank at home i have, all locally caught, a largemouth, yellow perch, pumpkinseed, brown bullhead, and sculpin. the sculpin is abut 3 inches, the rest are about 8-9 inches. when i feed them, or bait them with a hookless nymph, the pumpkinseed always behaves exactly as you say. if it smells flesh/bait, it will give a poke to examine, but otherwise motion triggers the strike. based on what i see in the tank, the thing to do would be to figure out the right depth, count down to it, and then do very short and sharp strips - just excite the pounce instinct. the little bass is more aggressive than that, as expected, and doesn't typically wait for movement to strike at goldfish. the bullhead is most aggressive of all, and has convinced me that catfish could consistently be caught on flies if you can get close enough to the bottom and to the fish for them to brush the fly with their barbels. i'm not sure if they are blind, but the one in my tank strikes solely on touch. if it grazes anything with a barbel it strikes like lightning and knows instantly whether what it's mouthing is living or dead, edible or inedible. they are pretty amazing fish, and in spite of the common belief that they love stink-baits and nasty rotten things, mine consistently kills more live goldfish than it can consume, chews them, kills them, spits them out, never returns to them. it is far more aggressive and assertive than any of the other fish in my tank. the sculpin is also an amazing little bastard. it's maybe three inches, strikes like absolute quicksilver, and eats 2-3 live goldfish at a sitting which are each half it's own body length. amazing predator.

10. Boomer

Boomer Member

That is great information right there. I have always wanted to be able to tank test flies like that

11. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

Media:
    i would really like to add a crappie too but i don't where/how to get them. i know they're in lots of places but don't really know how to target them. used to catch them in totem lake sometimes as a kid in a float tube, but only on accident. a little pickerel or baby pike would be a great addition to the tank as well.

12. CornBiscuit

CornBiscuit New Member

don't know much about crappie but I have caught them in the fall in weedy, shallow lakes- they seemed to be mingling with perch as well... both seemed to hit any small wet fly or nymph that was twitched and stripped sharply. Of course the perch will hit anything- just for the heck of it I tried bare hooks- they hit them as if they were a worm! good ol' dumb perch-

13. Jim Mcallister

Jim Mcallister AKA stillwater guy

A bare hook is only a few threads short of a chironimid.