Pontoon Accessories

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by jessejames, Feb 11, 2005.

1. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

I totally think so. It was always hard for me to get my rythym (no jokes please :rolleyes: ) with a hand pump and it was kinda awkward. The foot pump is far more ergonomic, and less stressful on my back to use. I'd break a sweat with the hand pump, and not so with the foot pump.

Take care all,
    Jeff

2. Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice Senior Member

Media:
    I agree on that multi-tool. I have had to use it before. they are great to have around.

3. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    if you use the electric and just top off with the hand pump you only need 5 or 6 strokes for each pontoon. takes me about a hundred on each side if they are deflated otherwise.

4. Brian Kunz

Brian Kunz Newbie

Anyone thought of a fish finder? I'm looking at some of the portable hummingbird ones right now. They seem cheap, but a really cool idea. Thoughts?

5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    When you've brought along two rods and you need to row from one part of the lake to another, where're you gonna put your second rod when you have only one rod holder? Get two, they're cheap. Scotties with the optional strap attachment sell for around $30 each.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned using multiple anchors. Unlike float tubes where, like icebergs, much of your mass is below the waterline, pontoons float high, letting your body act like a sail. Most boats these days have an anchor system that involves a pulley located behind the seat. The better boats have a secondary pulley system that routes the anchor rope along the frame and through a locking cleat near the seat.

Rear anchors are great in that once anchored, your boat will always point downwind. But your boat will also pivot on the anchor rope whenever the wind changes direction, introducing drag in your line and fly. Keep your boat in place with a second anchor that you can deploy off one side or the other and then attach nylon or stainless cleats to the frame rails to tie it off to.

Cheaper boats (like mine) have the locking cleat at the back which means I've got to turn around or even get up out of the seat and reach over my storage box every time I want to raise or lower then anchor. I've given up entirely on the rear anchor on my boat and simply use an anchor off each side. I use a 13 pound mushroom and a 5 pound lead pyramid, both with about 50 feet of nylon parachute cord and a carabiner tied to the free end that snaps onto the frame to prevent loss.

K

6. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    I always have at least two rods along and rigged up. I don't use a real rodholder at all. when trolling along i point the rod straight back toward the intended fishes and hook the reel behind the place where the stripping apron ends and the strap or bungie that holds it to the frame starts. an attacking fish is then pulling the rod and reel against the apron. there is virtually no chance of a fish pulling the rod loose from there and having the rod pointed straight at the fish makes it much easier for them to self hook. my hooking rate increased dramatically when i started holding or resting the rod in this position. When moving i point the rod in the opposite direction and use a little velcro strap to secure it to the frame at the rod handle. i've used this system for three years of pontooning without even coming close to a misshap and i don't have a rodholder snagging my flyline (there's plenty of other things to do that :beathead: ) i also have little trouble sitting my drink in the gear bag by just zipping it almost closed making a pocket. those anchor systems that run the rope under your seat and have the cleat in front are great.