Pontoon attire

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by StiffLegged Van Rossi, Nov 23, 2007.

1. StiffLegged Van Rossi

StiffLegged Van Rossi Gonzo Phishin'

I am thinking about doing some winter floating with my pontoon. Since my boat is low to the water I expect that I will be getting some chilly water on my legs/feet. I have heard horror stories about people wearing waders and going 'overboard' and them filling up with water...the rest was history for them.

What do most folks use to keep warm and dry without putting yourselves at risk? Thanks!

2. Scott Keith

Scott Keith Member

I always wore waders on my pontoon... with a good wading belt and a floatation device. I never went under though.

Scott

3. Christian Brewer

Christian Brewer Super Slacker

I always wear a PFD when floating on rivers or lakes! :thumb:

For warmth when lake fishing I wear:
    - 2 pairs of thick wool socks
    - Thick fleece wader pants over thin long underwear
    - Breathable waders
    - Warm fleece jacket under my rain jacket
    - Fingerless windproof fleece gloves

For rivers I don't dress near as warm because because I'm wearing boots that are not necessary submerged all day as when I'm kicking around in just my fins all day. When the water is really cold those hand warmers things work pretty good when shoved down into the feet of my waders. Also try not to over tighten your fins which cut off circulation to your feet which makes them colder.

Be safe and stay warm!

Christian

4. KenS

KenS Member

Sweats,Warm Socks, Neopreme waders WITH WADER BELT, Life Jacket, Water Repelent Jacket. This is the same gear I use for a sea kayak..

5. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

waders. warm clothes as needed underneath.

breathables by the way are neutral weight once full of water and neoprenes are as boyant as most pfd's. you won't sink because of waders, but you will not climb back into a pontoon once they are full either. gotta get to the shore.

loose boots and thick socks are the best thing for warm feet, tight boots will feel like frostbite in 15 minutes. for hands a golf towel to keep them dry and get some wristbands like basketball players use. tuck one of those heat packets on the inside of your wrist. it keeps the blood vessels from restricting as they usually do and keeps good blood flow to the hands -try it. if it's real cold double up and use a neoprene gravel guard over the whole thing. sometimes i use latex gloves as well to keep the water off my skin. when you towel off a plastic glove it's dry while skin would still be damp.

6. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

THANK YOU!!!

The sinking wader thing is a wive's tale. People think you'll sink because it is indeed hard to stand up with filled waders, and it'd be almost impossible to pull yourself back into a pontoon boat with filled waders. But you're not going to sink in them.

As part of my training, one of the things we have to do is swim out in the ocean in our dry suits (we fly in them) and while in the water we have to put on a Gumby suit over it all. For those that don't know, a Gumby suit is a full body, neoprene survival suit. They're full of water, and you'll be damned if you can make yourself sink in one. You'll float like a cork. You can even swim in them fairly easily. But try to stand up on the beach, and it's all you can do to get it done.

Don't worry about sinking in your waders. Won't happen.

7. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

here is a stupid question.... What does a wadingbelt do? I have always assumed it was to keep your waders snug around your waist... nothin more.

8. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

They'll "hold" air in your waders for a bit, and help keep your waders from flooding should you go down. Safety or not, filled waders are a pain for standing up and moving around. And dry waders are warmer than cold, flooded waders.

9. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

i supose that makes sense.... thats why my waders hug my legs when i am in the water.... AHHH.... If they had air in them, they would not haha.... Hmm.... I may have to invest in one....

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

It's hard to fish in the winter where I live as everything is iced over. But in the summer when I floated I just wore my breathables over my shorts.It don't get cold in the summer time here.

Jim

11. Mike Monsos

Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Don't forget the warm hat too. I've switched from an inflatable PFD to a standard vest type PFD. I did a test inflation once and the unit did not inflate completly, only about 50% in my opinion. If you use one test it every year! The thought of scrambling in the water supported by a couple of bladders with flies on drying patches and other gear hanging off the lanyard did not seem to be a good mix. The designs they have now are less restrictive and add a layer of wind resistance too. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Mike

12. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Hey OLD MAN drill a hole and jig a fly. I did a lot of that in Montana, N. Idaho, and N.E. Washington. You'll enjoy it. Some great trout fishing jigging a fly through the ice.

Keith

13. Snake

Snake tryin' not to get too comfortable

Along with loose boots, foot- and handwarmer packs, and a well-layered clothing system, I consider my wading staff to be critical for staying dry. It's helped prevent many unintentional swims while wading in winter rivers.

I also carry a dry bag on my boat, with a spare set of warm clothes, including hat and gloves, in case I do get dunked.

14. Jerry Metcalf

Jerry Metcalf FishyJere

I have found boot foot waders a big improvement (warmth) over stocking foot waders, even when fishing out of a pontoon. When wading you get quite a bit of compression (water pressure) around the stocking foot and it squeezes the loft out of your socks. This decreases their insulation value a bunch. Bootfoots don't do this.

I stay noticibly warmer and last hours longer. From a pontoon, you don't have to worry about walking long distances (if at all), so you have all the advantages. They are a worthy investment. Good ones, like Simms, last for many years.

Jerry

15. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

i dont have a toon but a good alternitive to waders is a pair of paddling pants. basically waders without a seal at the feet. will keep u dry from splashes etc. basically check out canoeing gear.

16. Todd Ripley

Todd Ripley New Member

Good call on the "waders don't make you sink"...I've always wondered why people seem to think that water weighs more in your boots than out of 'em...heck, if you go ass over teakettle in neoprenes the hard part sometimes is getting your feet back down on the bottom since they float up so high!

I wear the same thing in the 'toon as I wear in driftboats, or on the bank...breathable waders with belt.

Fish on...

Todd

17. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I wear breathable waders over fleece pants, two pair of wool socks and stay warm enough.

I've filled my waders with river water four times, three of them in the winter. As reported in other posts, the water in the waders is no heavier than the water still in the river, and it didn't drag me down or drown me. However, it's colder than a witches t..s! Since this has only happened four times in over 30 years of wading and floating rivers, I don't bother bringing an extra change of clothes, altho it's not a bad idea. I just don't bother hauling a lot of extra stuff with me for incidents that I calculate as unlikely to happen on any given day.

Oh, BTW, I put myself at risk every time I go fishing. However I calculate that the risk is small, and very well worth taking, so I don't sweat it. But some day it might kill me. I think I'll still consider it well worth taking.

Sg

18. StiffLegged Van Rossi

Pefect, thanks everyone. Time to hit the river in the winter instead of banking it.

19. GUZ808

GUZ808 New Member

Hey guys I never been fishing from a pontoon or a float tube and looking into getting one but what are the pros and cons of each one?

20. StiffLegged Van Rossi

I'd say poontoon = more $$$ but you can float rivers and lakes. Float tubes are for lakes.

If you are going to invest go with a pontoon if you think you may want to hit a river any time soon.