Pontoon Boat Anchor

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by freestoneangler, Aug 19, 2007.

1. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +704 / 1
    I'm looking for one of those nylon or rubber mesh bags that can be loaded with rocks for a boat anchor. I've checked a couple of shops in the area, but they are either out of stock or do not carry...anyone have a source in the Tacoma/Fed Way area? :confused: If someone has come up with a skookum alternative (laundry bag, etc.), that does the same trick, I'd appreciate a reply.

Thanks,
    Freestoneangler
  2. martinrjensen BambooBoy

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I don't know if you can find them anymore but I used to use a plastice mesh potato bag. I am not sure you can find theose anymore though. I now use a 10 lb pyramid anchor. Really you shouldn't need too much. I have fully investigated using an anchor on a pontoon boat and now only use the anchor when I pull in to shore. I used to use it in the current but it was hard to fish from and also hard to stop with anything less than 20 lbs, which really is too much for a single person pontoon boat.
    I would think that REI might have some kind of mesh bag to use. How about burlap?
    martin
  3. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +650 / 5
    Ok, I know people hate hearing this, but I'll say it this way so people don't freak out. LOL. Try looking at the retailer starting with a C that is about to locate down in Lacey. ;) I know they had them until recently (last catalog I looked in).
  4. Phlybox New Member

Nampa, Idaho
    I've got a 10' Buck's Bags pontoon boat. To date, I have had it on the Bighorn and the lower Henry's Fork, and I now know that it will require more than 8 pounds to pin that baby down.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of bag you are referring to, but, having had to improvise for a forgotten anchor on the Henry's Fork trip, I can tell you that a stuff sack (from REI, for example) full of rocks is a one- or two-trip solution at best. Beyond that, it will probably scuff and fray until the rocks fall out. And no--REI will not replace that bag for you under their satisfaction guarantee.

You might try the Buck's Bags website. They operate in Boise, but their staff are helpful and might have a suggestion that would be useful in your location.

Good luck!
  5. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    They used to sell them at All About the Fly in Monroe. Im sure you could order one through them..
  6. WT Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Get a mesh stuffsack from REI.
    WT
  7. Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Lakewood,Wa.
    I was at Joe's at the Lakewood Town Center this morning, they had a few in stock.
  8. Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    So I know it ain't designer but I been inclined to use a 25 lbs. onion sack found at Costco. Maybe your not an Onion eater, but that'll be probably cheaper.
    JB
  9. uncoolperson *splash* *splash* *splash*, I need a life vest

Bellingham, wa
    Joe's (used to be GI), that's where i got mine.

Owww.... stop hitting me! stop it!
  10. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    Old car tire inner tube. Cut out a section about a foot and half long. Wire one end shut with tie wire, fill with rocks, wire other end shut.