Pontoon boat anchors: Your experience with.

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by scottr, May 27, 2007.

1. riseform

riseform Active Member

Media:
    Good job...you'll have to see if it's heavy enough for the summer flows. Mine is a bit heavier than that and it still tries to scare me and pull away from the shallows sometimes.

2. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

The above sums it up nicely; not much I could add. Vis a vis anchors, see if you can find an old rubber inner-tube. Cut off a long section, punch holes in one end and thread through some 1/4" Dacron line to close one end. Three/four holes in the top and loop your anchor line through these (you want a straight line coming off the tubing - think 'sea anchor.')

Fill with rocks at the beach, pull top closed and there you go. End of trip dump out rocks ... and off you go.

Fred

3. scottr

scottr Active Member

Media:
    Fred do use this like a drift sock or as a easy to transport anchor used to secure your boat when beaching on a river or holding stationary in a lake?

My boat came with a similar anchor bag (to be filled with rocks found at waterside) but it does not seen to hold enough weight to secure my boat to the shore on a river with out pulling most of the boat out of the water defeating the purpose on an anchor to start.

4. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

The best use of an anchor for either a pontoon or a drift boat is to back row in towards shore, when you get close, drop the anchor, let out a little rope, and cinch her up. Letting the current swing the boat in towards shore. This will hold the boat long enough for you to get out and do whatever you have to do to make sure the boat will stay put while you fish. Anything more than that, you are asking for trouble.

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Oh, I forgot one thing about anchoring with a pontoon boat. If you're having alot of problem with the boat swaying in the current, there is an easy solution that usually works. Leave an oar down and in the water, usually the oar that's sitting out in the current (ie. the one that's not closest to the bank usually). This will act as a keel somewhat and keep the boat to a minimum sway. You want that oar in the oarlock and blade down into the current. Best to just have the one down. Kind of counteracts the sway. You can also use a driftsock out in front of the boat. But a SERIOUS warning about doing this. If you don't plan to catch any fish, you're gold. If you hook into one, you'll be wishing it wasn't out there. Especially since you'll usually be fishing out and down from your boat (and into the direction of that drift sock). Hook and fish and you not only have to worry about the anchor rope behind you, but the drift sock (and rope) in front of you (it's much easier in a pontoon to get out from one rope then front and back). No worries about the oar being in your way if it's in the water. Just an oarstroke back if you have a fish on will remedy any wrapping you may have.

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Oh yeah, don't think anyone spoke about what a rocker hull is. It's basically a full curve of the tubes (though you do have some semi rocker who have a very small flat line and then a sharp rise like some of the ODC's). Best way to figure out what you have is to put your fully inflated boat on the flat garage floor. Lift your feet up into the foot holds and see if you can rock back and forth. My steelheader will sit evenly, even if I stand up and walk on the tubes (and that goes for in the river as well).

7. DirtFish

DirtFish New Member

btw, if you are ever looking for cheap chain again, try Washington Chain over in Seattle for some used or remnant chain. 206-623-8500. www.wachain.com. I got 50 lbs for $25. Nice deal if you don't mind driving down to the industrial zone south of Safeco field.

8. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Sorry Scot, almost missed your question. I'm "no expert" by any stretch vis a vis 'Toons,' but if the rock bag won't hold it's either too small (volume/wt) for the boat or you're trying to anchor in too fast of water. The 'rock sack' is used as a normal anchor, not a 'drogue.'

Fred