pontoon boat/craft query

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jackchinook, Jul 25, 2002.

1. jackchinook

jackchinook Member

Media:
    Alright, maybe I'm asking for the impossible

I'm looking for a pontoon boat for fishing small lakes and the occasional beaver pond and maybe a particular small stream that I've surveyed and found to be 99% flatwater--really meandering with loads of beaver ponds and tons of cutts...about 90% of my fishing is in waters which I hike into (I like to get away from the crowds). It's got to be as light as possible...these 8' crafts I've seen at Chopaka and Nunally won't be an option. I have a float tube but I don't really like it. I'd like to be up out of the water a little bit to cast better and get away from those creepy logs that always seem to scare the hell out of me while paddling backwards through some peaty beaver pond/lake.

Any insight?

many thanks,
    jack

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I might be old---but I'm good.

Go to www.creekcompany.com. Or go to Cabala's and click on pontoon boats. As they have a pontoon/float tube on sale right now it's called a S something or other 714 I think. It's a cross between a pontoon boat and a float tube. It sits you above the water and it comes with small oars.

3. OlyTroutGuy

OlyTroutGuy New Member

Home Page:
    Jack,

Take a look at http://www.waterotter.net very lightweight pontoon craft. I own one of these and also own a Bucks Bags SouthFork. The South Fork is about 48-50 lbs all put together, and the Otter is 23 lbs put together. Very easy to throw around and perfect for the "flatwater" and easy to pack up to a beaver pond.

I have pics of both in action if you want to see.

Olytroutguy@attbi.com

4. Trout_Zealot

Trout_Zealot New Member

The Creek Company makes a small pontoon that comes with a specifically designed backpack. The entire package includes the raft, backpack, oars, and pump and retails for around $699.

5. guest

guest Guest

If you are referring to the Jet Pac, it weighs less than 40 lbs. and sells for $450.00 in Cabela's catalog. The ad implies it may be suitable for Class III water (on the conservative side I would hedge a bit and say easy river rafting).

stumpfisher

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'd say for your needs, go the cheap route. Go get a low end waterskeeter or watch for the sales on the fishcats. Can be found in the $300 range if you look. There is also something called the watermaster. It's a half raft/half kickboat. Would suit you well. You can find them in same range if you look. If you go used, you can find older ones in decent shape in that range or cheaper. In your circumstances, getting any boat rated in whitewater range is useless. Why pay for performance when you don't need it (like buying a ferrari to drive to the corner store). Hmmmmm, wait a second, you'd at least look cool doing it!?!?!. LOL

Do you want new or used? I have some leads on used. And Cabela's has waterskeeters on sale for $249 I believe (at least in circular in my last order had that). Try online, or try their bargain cave online.

Steelheader69
    "You haven't lived until you've run a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts."

7. toadthedry

toadthedry Member

LOOK AT THE TOGIAK IN CABELAS- I LIKE MINE. IT COMES WITH straps for carrying and is a hybrid tube/pontoon boat. no oars.

8. Couleeflyfisher

Couleeflyfisher Member

Hi Jack:
    If you want the best,IMHO, tough pontoons and light weight, look at SuperCat or Water Otter. The SuperCat weighs about 14 lbs., can be carried fully inflated with the built-in packboard. Check it out at www.newworldmfg.com. It's a great boat for backpacking. Both of these boats have pontoons made from reg. raft material, no internal bladders to fail.