Pontoon Boat for the wife.

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Ron Eagle Elk, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    Valentines Day is just around the corner and Vickie has been dropping hints about a pontoon boat. I guess she's looking to expand her fly fishing horizons a bit.

I've done a search of the subject here and gathered as much info as possible, now I just need a little reinforcement from those wiser than I.

Due to budgetary considerations I've had to limit my choices to one of three boats. The Trout Unlimited Colorado River Pontoon, the Creek Compant ODC XL9, and the FishCat 9 by Outcast.

Anyone have an opinion of these boats and their features? Thanks in advance. Oops, guess I should tell you that the boat will be used on lakes and some rivers. No technical whitewater stuff (as far as I know).

REE

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ron, any of those boats will do. Especially for what she wants. One thing to consider with the TU boat, if it's the one I'm thinking of, LOTS of stuff for flylines to tangle on. But any of those boats would suite her fine.

3. JWKitsap

JWKitsap Member

Thought the title of the thread was for a straight across trade.....was shaking my head thinking "Boy these guys sure do take their fishing seriously!!!"

:eek: :eek:

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hey JW, not speaking for Ron (since he's got a great wife from all I've heard about her), but I'd have even traded one of those cheap caddis pontoon boats for my exwife. I think I would've got the better deal in the long run. :rofl:

5. Ron Eagle Elk

Media:
    Jerry,

Thanks for the info. I'vve got three exes that I would have traded in a heartbeat for a pontoon boat. Vickie, however, is a keeper, so no trade there.

REE

6. Warren Perry

Warren Perry Grizzly 6

Media:
    Ron,

I have the Fishcat 9. You saw it that day on we fished the Cowlitz. I like it fine but I would upgrade the oars that came with it (remember I was doing maintenance on them as we launched). I am also looking for ways to add storage space as the platform behind the seat is a bit small. The anchor system works ok but I am looking for ways to more efficienatly route the rope (a few snaplinks and a pulley should do it). Knowing your handyman skills, you could make these kinds of modifications with no problem.

I ordered it from Cabelas last year and paid 375.00 shipped.

Warren

7. willieboat

willieboat Member

Media:
    Hi Ron,
    I love my ODC1018. Lots of room for storage, and serious oars. One thing I noticed about the new ODC's :thumb: is they now have a hard padded seat. Mine came with a fabric seat, which I replaced with a padded seat.
    Great cutomer service also. I had a minor leak in a pontoon, mailed it back to them with a note. They sent me two new bladders. I noticed that during the holidays, SPORTCO had them for $100.00 off. Cabelas did the same at one time.

Don

8. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    I would look long and hard at waterskeeter boats. I like mine, it was around 500, but i think good ones can be had for cheaper. I don't know much about pontoon boats however, I have only used waterskeeter so i have nothing to compare it too.

Peace,
    Andy

9. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Ron,

As a woman, I'd recommend two things for your wife's boat: make sure the frame fits her and that the boat is light enough for her.

My first pontoon boat was a FishCat 9 and I think it is superior to the others you mentioned. I loved it but had one problem - I'm about 5'6 and when I had the seat adjusted so I could comfortably reach the foot pegs (which was all the way forward for me), the oars were too close to my body to row effectively. This wan't too bad on still or slow moving water but in any water where I had to really row hard, it was a pain. The seat would always slip backwards no matter what I did.

Outcast came up with a 2-position oar stand for the PAC 9 and that has worked much better for me. Plus, the lighter aluminum frame makes it a lot easier for me to haul around. Even when fishing with others there are times when I have to beach, drag or otherwise "man-handle" the boat by myself. Lighter is better - as long as there's no serious whitewater in your future.

Sue

10. Ron Eagle Elk

Media:
    Hey All,

Thanks for all the good tips.

Freestone, very good points. Guess I'll have to take her with me when I go 'toon shoping so we can get a boat that fits her. Something I hadn't thought of.

REE

11. lotech joe

lotech joe New Member

:thumb: Hi Ron,
    Any woman who can catch a fish at Rocky Ford with a rattlesnake at her heels is definately a keeper.
    I fish from a Creek Co. ODC 816. I like it alot, but it's pretty much a stillwater craft. If I get the opportunity, (read $$$) I'd go with a boat from Outcast. They make pretty good stuff. I guess what I'm saying is, buy a boat YOU would like for yourself, then gear it up to fit her.
    ------------
    Lotech Joe

12. Keith Hunter

Keith Hunter New Member

I have been looking at pontoon boats as well, though not for my lovely wife, for me. Is it truly advantageous to have the standing platform and lean bar? From my research, it seems that the price jumps dramatically, when these features are added.

Thanks,
    Keith

13. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hey Ron,

The fish cat is a great boat. Our own BobLawless has a fish cat 8 for a great deal if interested. Also I have a buddy local who has a water skeeter he is wanting to sell for 250 - 300?? I do not know any details but if you are at all intersted I can give hos number/email or just find out info for you.

Best of luck and in my opinion, you cant go wrong with the outcasts :thumb:

14. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Media:
    Home Page:
    KISS for the wife! "keep it simple stupid"

-Simple construction and assembly
    -Light as possible
    -adjustable to fit a gal

PS...get her some oar rights as well.

15. P.Dieter

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hunter,

Tell us more about what you want the boat for. You got a lot of experience to draw from here (i.e. Jerry D) but you gotta give us more info to start with in order to get custom fit advice.

Right now I'm under the impression that the new Scadden Skykomish Sunrise is the new standard for all-around kickboat design. (I haven't even seen one in person though). For many instances a stand up platform would be wonderful (sight fishing on lakes, the Yakima and other slow rivers) but I would never sacrifice the ability to use fins for a standing platform (in a one man boat).

I'll be seeking one out at the show to see how they are constructed but I have high hopes...unfortunately a new boat is not in my immediate future.

16. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

I currently own a FishCat Panther model. Very easy to row/manuver has 7' 2 piece oars. Motor mount will take my minkota 65 (and my 250+lb butt) easily. The four air chambers a saftey plus for floating the rivers, and the frame breaks down easily for transport. Fairly light at 75lbs (advertised #) but very stable. I occaisionally stand up on it to spot quarry. my balance isn't good enough for much else. Only drawback, if at all, is that it is a low profile craft and you will get your tail wet in heavy wakes/waves. No problem tho if it's HOT or you are wearing waders. :thumb:

17. Ron Eagle Elk

Media:
    Paul, good to see you as always. That KISS advice is not wasted.

I guess I should have mentioned that, as with most fly fishing partners, when she gets one, I have to get one for myself as well. Can't have her scootin off across a lake or down a river leavin me at the launch site. With that consideration price is a definate obstacle. We are leaning toward the Fish Cat 9, but she has to sit in one to see if it will adjust to her and still be able to row it.

LotechJoe, is that the boat you had at RFC last spring? Nice looking little boat.

Thanks again.

REE

18. Keith Hunter

Keith Hunter New Member

Hello Paul,

From reading other forums, it seems that I want a boat that can handle at least Class III. I live in Colorado near the Roaring Fork and Colorado Rivers. I'll use the pontoon primarily on those rivers. I'll also most likely get over to the Arkansas and the Gunnison. I suppose I'd fish some reservoirs as well since I'd have a boat.

I don't know that I'd care about giving up the use of fins for a standing platform.

The Skykomish Sunrise looks great. At $1000, it's at the very limit of my budget. Some of the Skookums look nice as well. Does anyone know the prices of their models?

By the way, I am 6' 200 lbs.

Thanks,
    Keith

19. lotech joe

lotech joe New Member

;) Ron,
    Yup! That's the one. It is a good little boat. Floats me well and travels on the water nicely. It only weighs in at 45#, and I don't have to worry about rust from the inside. It's aluminum. I just can't seem to catch my share of fish out of it. Like I said before, if I had the where-with-all, I'd buy the Outcast.
    ------------
    Lotech Joe

20. P.Dieter

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hunter,

I have some experience with those rivers as I have a cabin in Pine CO (mostly the Gunni and Ark) and I've driven by the other two.

I'll be able to see one of the sunrise boats next weekend so I might have more info then, but if it is at all in price range I think you should try and get a look at one...you're not THAT far from where they are made.

If that means that you wouldn't mind not using it as a kickboat I think you will be sorry down the road. The Ark for one would be a great river to float and fish at the same time, and (except for the use of a drag anchor) you need fins to do that. If it also means that you see some good uses for a standing platform then you should really check out the boat in question.

Far more than the design of the boat is the ability of the oarsman in determining the whitewater rating of a boat. With some skill most boats in the 9 -10 foot range and $500 plus should be able to tackle a class three. One thing to remember is most class threes have an easier route for a boat that is 9 feet long and draws 3 inches of water.

Have fun
    Paul