Pontoon boat motor suggestions

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Joepa, May 19, 2004.

1. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

Does anyone have experience with attaching a trolling motor to a pontoon boat? I have a 9 ft. boat and it has a motor mount on the transom. I'm wondering if it's practical to install an electric trolling motor for transportation on large lakes like coldwater. I was thinking about a Minnkota Endura 30". Thanks

2. Chromer

Chromer Defeat terrorism

I just picked up that Minn Kota 30 for my 8' pontoon last night. I built
    a motor mount for my transom using wood and a piece of metal. The motor
    way more than adequatley powered my boat. It has 4 forward speeds and 3
    reverse speeds (really handy). 4th gear is so powerful, it loaded up my
    motor mount a little much, so I'm going to beef that up. In terms of shaft
    length, 30 is perfect. I ended up offsetting my motor on the mount so that
    the till is easier to reach. Many people told me to get a deep cycle battery
    which I did.

3. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Well, I only used mine for a bit on my boat. Mostly because I was told by an officer I had to license the boat. Think the laws changed that any power device installed on the boat makes it registerable. I was even told this at the DOL when I had to relicense my boat (jet sled at the time). Law used to be anything 10hp or over, why you saw alot of 9.9's. Just beat the law.

The BEST thing you can do is revere the powerhead and mount it in FRONT of you. Why I say this is it's easier to stear. You simply steer like a normal car/boat by moving the motor. With reversing the powerhead, you have the control facing you, and the prop facing the rear of boat. You'd don't have to turn around at all to work the motor, and still have room in front of you to fish. Easy to make a mount off the frame if you don't have a standing platform. If you have a standing platform, easier to make a clamp that the motor fits too.

Forgot to add. Yes, it's an effective way to kick around the lake. Just make sure you have a good battery.