Pontoon Boat under $700

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by nvgpeter, Jun 21, 2005.

1. nvgpeter

nvgpeter New Member

I am a fairly inexperienced fly fisherman. Any recommendations for a reasonably priced pontoon boat? Very much appreciated

2. Porter

Porter Active Member

Hi

I have been told and warned to go for the aluminum frame vs. steel powder coated. More durable with regards to rust and is lighter in weight. Steel will pit and rust (also depends on who is doing the powder job). There are other features to consider but to each their own.

3. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    I've got two boats that I bought for under $700 each. Mine is a Fishcat 9 that I got from Cabelas. Nice little boat, handles well on moving or still water, not a lot of junk to get a line wrapped up in, easy to inflate/deflate. Down side is the powder coated steel frame. That puppy is heavy compared to my wifes boat. The standard oars are pretty cheap, I'd look to upgrade to something better and longer.

My wife has on ODC 915. The toons are slightly larger (diameter wise) than my Fishcat, but she doesn't get blown around much. Oarlocks and seat are more adjustable than my boat, alminum frame is much lighter than my steel frame. Her oarlocks are also more substantial than mine, look like the locks on my drift boat. We got this boat for her because it was the only one we found that allowed enough adjustment in the seat and oarlocks for her to row in comfort. Down side, the inflate/deflate valves are located under the storage bags making it a real pain to regulate air pressure during the day.

Hope this helps a little.

REE

4. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    go to cabelas.com and check out the waterskeeter especially made for cabelas. $350 for an excellent no frills boat. compare it to the description of other waterskeeters, and other pontoons cabelas carries. if you can stand the red color this one looks like a great deal. if i didn't have three pontoons i'd buy one myself.

5. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    I picked up my watermaster for $700 direct from the manufacturer. It was a refurbished boat. Check 'em out, they are a sponsor of this site.

Rod

6. pez

pez "Say, nice bead head earring"

Media:
    First question should be "what type of H2O will you be fishing"? I have an ODC915 and I really like it. Bought it last year at Sportco. Around $500. Aluminum frame as pointed out by another. Heavy duty oars and oarlocks. Good welds. I changed the seat (I believe the new ones have better seats). Easily modifiable (I made my own rod holder). Have floated the Yak, Satsop and Cowlitz rivers with no problems.
    If your looking for a lake boat this would be overkill. But if you plan to float rivers then it's great for the $. I saw where the 1015 model has an aftermarket aluminum deck you can add if you want to be able to stand and cast.

Todd

7. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    oops, cabelas doesn't have that boat on their web site, but i's still in the catalog so you might still get it. that waterskeeter fish stalker is a great boat though and still in your price range. eight footers are plenty for lakes but most prefer 9's for rivers. the fish cats are ok for lakes, but the fabric is lighter than the waterskeeter. the creek company ones are not great quality, but serviceable, i'd shy away from the pointy ended ones though, and the Trout unlimited ones are not worth the money. the tops of the pontoons are not coated at all, just like a big float tube and can be had on ebay for around $125 if you watch. lest you think me a waterskeeter salesman, i don't own one, mine are bucks southforks, which are great boats and you can get them for less than 700 also, just not from cabelas. ps longer oars are best, 7 vs 6 makes a big difference.

8. PETI

PETI Member

http://www.bucksbags.com/cm_item.asp?id=169

Stainless frame, polyeurthane bladders (stay away from PVC bladders) the best out there for all aroung use,IMHO. Light, strong, durable and good support if needed. I've had mine for 7+years with out any issues. Suggest the 7' oar upgrade.

Peter

9. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

Media:
    I second the Bucks Bags!! Southfork would be the one you would want. I'm about to send away for their new anchor setup for my S.F

10. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Another vote for Southfork...do get the long oars, do get the scotty's rodholder and rail clamp. You may consider the anchor setup, but I just use an anchor and rope over the side. You will wish to put something harder as a back deck...I used some shelving from the Home Center

Comfy, versatile, no it's no grand canyon boat but it will float a river, no its not the best lake boat but it is just fine and dandy, holds 350 pounds, rows, kicks, is comfy. 5 bills out the door just about anywhere.
    guyg

11. Johnnyb

Johnnyb Guest

...and another vote for the Southfork. For the money they're pretty good value ($459 at Sportsman Warehouse). I've got two.