pontoon boats

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by caddis36, Jul 1, 2007.

1. caddis36

caddis36 New Member

i am looking for a pontoon boat for lakes and rivers. i was looking at dave scadden,bad cat pontoons and outcast. i was looking for a 10 ft boat. any recommendations. i have a fat cat float tube from outcast but was looking for something that while last a long time and rides pretty good above the water. has anyone ever used the steelheader in 10 ft from bad cat or the pac 1000 from outcast and what did you think. thanks

2. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
  3. Stefan Elliott

Stefan Elliott New Member

thats the shit , pop a trolling motor on that baby

4. PT

PT Physhicist

If it doesn't ride good above the water then you're riding pretty bad below the water.;)

Steelheaders are nice. Use the search engine here and you'll find plenty of info.

5. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Check out the new and improved Outcast Pac FS Series:

http://outcastboats.com/outcastboats/pacseries.shtml

They have thickened up the PVC on their pontoons and also added a motor mount for the same price as it always been. I just got a new Pac900FS and looking foward to taking it to the Cow for some summerrun.

I was looking into the Steelheader and they are the BEST in the business with double the strength of the Pac series and are class V rated pontoons. But they are also 500.00 more.

Regardless of what you get, between the Outcast Pac series,Steelheader,Bad Cat,etc. you won't go wrong.

PS, a word on the Scadden boats, LOTS of bad reviews their top stuff, metal on metal scrapping,premature breakdown of pontoons,etc.

6. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Media:
    I checked Craigslist last week and this guy in Renton had a 20 pontoon boat garage sale yesterday on all Trout Unlimited models. I knew which one I wanted and bought a lightly used, if not new, Trout Unlimited "Rogue" from him. I used it today and I must say it is a great toon!!! I couldn't afford it new though.

7. zipmyfly

zipmyfly New Member

Costco was selling this exact boat for $299.00 called the outfitter. Yah 3 hundred bucks, I bought one and 2 other friends bought one and we love them. We have put them through the paces and it was the best 300 buck's I've spent in a long time. I got a better anchor from the Fly Fishing Shop in Welches and I use the bag anchor off the front d ring in windy lakes so I don't blow around. $11 colaman pump from Joes and a Scotty rod holder and manny other mods like a depth finder. This was the boat, http://www.ruggedcreek.com/index.php?module=store_listings&action=view_listing&listing=6

8. Stefan Elliott

where is the sale obiwan ??? how much where they

9. obiwankanobi

Media:
    The sale was in Renton, but trust me, it took me forever to get to this guy's place. He was very nice and I showed up at 9am only to see 6 trucks in the same area. I bought it for $275, which was a steal for that toon, almost brand new. When I was there, people took two seconds to make their decision and the sale was over in 20 mins, with some guys buying 4 at a time.

Now, if Costco was selling the identical one for $300 then I didn't come out that great. Are you sure that they had a generic toon to the Rogue for $300, since I can't find it on their site.

10. Stefan Elliott

dang im in renton , but i dont have that money at 14 , plus they are gone

11. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    I wonder how that guy wound up with so many toons? did he have recepts for original purchase? could'a been stolen goods,but I hope not, glad you got what you wanted.

LB

12. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Been an Outcast customer for two boats and ten years. Ya' get what you pay for. Satisfaction didn't come when I paid the credit card bill, it comes trip after trip and season after season.
    Scott

13. obiwankanobi

Media:
    So get this, he was a nice Hawaiian native and I asked him that question and his exact reply was "I just got a great deal on them!" He looked about late 40's, early 50's, nice house, friendly wife, no tattoo's, so all I am trying to say, is that I wouldn't take him to be a meth-head or a thief.

Now I did have to remove a tracking device on one of my floats!!! :clown:

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    They have that pontoon boat the Outfitter here in Butte at the Three Bears store. But at $326.00 and it comes with a wheel. Was thinking of getting one. It looks like a good boat.

Jim

15. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I have always gone with the "You get what you pay for" thing specially on my floats.
    I am a Scadden fan and no I don't work for him, but he has some GREAT PONTOONS!
    I have had the Cardiac Canyon for the past 7 yrs. Thinner diameter toons (12") make it less effected by wind. If I were to update now, it would be the Madison River.
    I will say if you are going to put a motor on, to move the frame as far forward on the toons as possible. Here is one of those toons with a motor....what do you think?
    [​IMG]
    Plus I will say the Urethane bladders are the only way to go.

16. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Just look at that cheap boat. No wonder it looks like it is going to sink. I wouldn't even buy that boat in the picture. Cheap, Cheap.

Jim

17. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    It is either a TU or a Costco. At any rate as you put it....a CHEAPER boat.

18. obiwankanobi

Media:
    FYI, so I talked to a friend about the difference between the Rogue vs the Outfitter 300, if any. On the Costco version, the frame is lighter and feels weaker and on the floats, the pvc is much thinner. He said that it was a noticable difference, even though the cosmetics of the two toons were the same.

This was his opinion and not my personal observation, since I have never seen the other Costco model.

19. Stefan Elliott

[​IMG]

would this be a good one ? a friend from another board said it retails close to $300 and he will sell it to me for $150 , i do want to put a trolling motor on , damn you obiwan , you got one hell of a deal !!

20. obiwankanobi

Media:
    Stefan,

You probably wouldn't be interested in a pontoon kick boat would ya? The bad part is that it doesn't have oar attachments at all. I am looking to sell it possibly.