Pontoon essentials?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by underachiever, Jun 6, 2014.

1. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    A couple months ago I picked up one of the frameless scaddens and I'm just now getting around to putting it to use. I don't have any previous experience with watercraft and was wondering if some of the more experienced pontooners had certain items they deemed essential. What kind of life jacket do most prefer? I'm not doing multi day things where I'll be camping or anything, just small stretches of water that I can do in a few hours but I'd like to be prepared.

2. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    Life jacket does not really matter. You are required to have one on the boat. Therefore, I went and got the cheapest life jacket from Cabelas and just bring that along. I would say that the one thing that I really really wish I had on my boat is a K Pump. I would also suggest a dry bag to carry important gear like a change of clothes, extra socks, flashlights, cellphones, wallet, you get the picture. I also find having a few extra bungie cords hanging around are always usefull. Leatherman too.

3. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

A small anchor if you're fishing lakes - I wouldn't use one in moving water though, unless it's really slow moving water. An anchor is invaluable.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  4. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

For me it is rod holders. I prefer to take different rods loaded with different sink rate lines rather that try to respool in the middle of the lake. I too just pack a Walmart life vest that is adjust to fit me if I need it quickly.
    I am not an Anchor person but I can see the use in them.
    I would also add glue on Scotty mounts to help clean these mounts up, however, I wouldn't use a glue on for the anchor.
    Also, figure out how to mount sonar. I do a lot of deep water nymphing and I need to know the bottom.
    Which frameless do you have?

5. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    It's an nfo outlaw assault. I bought it used and it came with two rod holders and some bags to keep things in. I don't fish still water much but I might be more interested in exploring them now that I have this.

scottybs likes this.
  6. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Right on. I like mine.

7. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Blue, how do you hold position w/o an anchor if the wind is blowing.
    With fins I know, but don't you still get too much drift?
    You've got more experience with this stuff than I do, so I really am wanting to learn.

Under, Also, a "long handled" rubber mesh bag net makes it easier to land and release the bigger fish. I'm glad I got one for the pontoon.

8. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:
    Camping gears good seal line dry bag, some extra D ring patches, a cheap net and bungees to secure your gear to the back of the boat for a good 3 day float camping on islands!

9. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:

I also have a motor on some waters, but yes, just fins. I have had nightmares happen with anchors. Wind kick up and lines get wrapped around anchor ropes, or anchor snags something so hard, darn near sink the toon trying to get it back.
    A little movement is good I find.
    I get where anchors are a good thing, but just not for me.
    I love long handle nets. I just got me one of the Fishpond, Nomads mid length after loosing my beautiful Orvis mid length wood net last year.

10. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    I believe a motor and anchor are the two most important things for boat safety. A lifevest and good attitudes for the occupants are a must.

Besides items mentioned above.
    sharp knife, signalling device( whistle), towel to keep hands clean, drinking water, sunglasses.

11. I have found a large duffle dry bag as a master gear hauler for lunch, flies, pump, tools and patch kit.

Another valuable lesson I learned with the frameless toons is don't put them on ur roof. I did once and my assult trickles air from somewhere on the left chamber

12. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    Thanks for all the help.

Evan I would have totally put it on the roof for transport, thanks for the warning.

Hopefully I'll get it out on the water sometime this week.

13. Milanmark

Milanmark New Member

Life jacket: disagree with the first post. Get a good one that is comfortable and one that you will WEAR.
    Especially if you are in streams you can end up in the water in a hurry. Yes I am a non-swimmer and if you are wearing waders everyone is!

14. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Another thing to consider: don't fully inflate the thing and then drive over the passes-keep it less than full, and top it off once you get where you're going. Those Assaults are nice boats. I probably would have gone that route if I'd seen them before I got our Watermaster Kodiaks. They all haul plenty of gear for a serious, multi-day float!

Evan Virnoche likes this.
  15. chewydog

chewydog Active Member

Remember to remove all the above mentioned gear for transport. I left a scotty rod holder on a trailered toon, and when I got home all I had was the mount.

16. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    I only drive a small hatchback so this bad boy will be deflated and inside the vehicle during transport. I'm going to go to one of the kayak stores here in pdx and try on some pfd's. I do plan to get one I think is comfortable in so I'll feel inclined to wear it, I'm sure my wife would somehow find out if I wasn't wearing it and then I'll wish I'd drowned. I've kinda got my eye on the nrs chinook.

This thing came with two sets of oars, the standard 5 ft oars and then some 6'6'' Aqua Bound Manta Ray oars. What's the advantage of a longer oar?

17. Tracy Lauricella

Tracy Lauricella Active Member

I've got
    I've got the NRS Chinook, and really like it. It's very comfortable, and you kinda forget you have it on. Plus since it's basically a fly vest, after I've got my fly boxes and nippers in it, I end up wanting to put it on just so I'll have my stuff handy. It becomes a way to encourage me to wear my PFD.

underachiever likes this.
  18. psycho

psycho Active Member

Longer oars give you much more leverage on the water in sticky situations, plus they move you better on still water. I have never used the oars that came with any of my boats as they always seemed to be a compramise between price point for the manufacturer and what would at least move the boat.

underachiever likes this.
  19. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    Normally I would agree, but I use Stock oars on the Assault, the Predator and the Fuzion and they work just fine. Not disputing that longer are NOT better, they are, but stock oars for me are just fine. I just end up buying another rod instead of oars...LOL

20. Brian Lind

Brian Lind New Member

Swimmer or no Swimmer wear a god damn life jacket. Find one that fits you well, wear it tight and wear it always. I'll admit I'm new to fly fishing and am currently researching my first boat but I work in the boating industry and all I can brow beat into you is: wear a life jacket. Wearing a life jacket reduces your risk of drowning by 50%, boaters that wear a life jacket are 60% less likely to die while boating. Still water or swift water it doesn't take much to incapacitate you especially if you fish solo, but even if you fish with your buddies. Also try putting a life vest on in moving water while in your fishing gear, that act alone can drown you.

I've had a Stohlquist Brik PFD for about 15 years that I swear by although it's age is probably going to require a new one soon. Stohlquist makes a nice vest and I like the designs of their fishing PFD's. REI carries Stohlquist jackets and they can help fit you. Remember a vest should fit snug.

Thus endeth my rant on personal safety.