pontoon fish finder

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by MrJohn, Apr 23, 2011.

1. I've found more info on pontoons and small boats in these forums than anywhere else, but have to admit I'm not a fly fisherman. Hope you can forgive me and I do appreciate the knowledge you flyfishers have and the art of your pursuit. Wish I'd learned many years ago but its getting late for that.

I usually fish from my canoe,(Coleman 15'), but got a pontoon,(Creek Company ODC 1018) last year.

In my old age, I've decided that its time to get a fish finder so I don't spend all my time wondering if there are even fish down there.
    The Hummingbird Fishin' buddys are ok and I'm considering the 120.

My reservations come from the small 9 degree cone since the lake I fish most is no more than 25 ft deep and mostly shallower.

I see other portables that seem like they'd do ok in my canoe except for the transducer. Not sure I could trust a suction cup to hold it to the canoe and would not know how to mount to my pontoon.
    Hummingbird used to make fishin' buddies with a wider angle but don't seem to anymore.

I'm looking for suggestions or whatever your experiences have been mounting something other than the buddy to a pontoon and what you do about the transducer mounting.
    Thank you!

2. In all honesty, the only things I use a fish finder for is determining the water depth, what the bottom of where I'm fishing at looks like and I also look for drop off's and other structures. I gave up on using it to see fish years ago.
    Mounting the transducer- I have a few buddies that use a bicycle kickstand. The bolt it to the frame and mount the transducer to the bottom. When not in use, it's 'kicked' up out of the way.
    On my X5 I use square aluminum tubing that bolts to the back of my deck with smaller tubing that goes inside of it and I can move it up out of the way when beaching or transporting.
    I built one out of PVC pipe to use with my Renegade. That straps on the back using velcro.

3. there is one for sale on this site

4. Mr John, I have a real small, portable fish finder called the Hawkeye. It's the size of a TV remote, 25' cable (too long) on the transducer. I use it in my pram, pontoon and jon boat. I chironomid fish a lot and I use it to mark drop offs, holes and it beeps when there are fish. It's real basic, but for $55 it does what I want. I think Wal Mart sells them.

5. Many so-called 'fish finders' - even expensive ones - are easily fooled by underwater vegetation, sunken trees or even rocks, mistaking them for fish and rendering false positives. The upshot is they can easily waste valuable fishing time at best, and cause snags, terminal gear loss, and budget drain at worst.

If you've been fishing successfully for any length of time, your experience and intuition will prove far more valuable and accurate than an electronic gizmo that purports to tell you where the fish are. As mojo correctly wrote above, their main benefit is to identify water depth, bottom contour and temperature. For any function beyond that, you'd be better advised to save your money and avoid the inevitable disappointment.

K

6. I have seen a transducer mount for a canoe in one of the many Cabela catalogs that have been showing up in my mail. I can not recall which one but you might check online. It looked like a piece of aluminum angle iron with a clamp on the top side. Anyways, I have an old Fishing Buddy (can't recall the make but it was before the Hummingbird version) that has served me well over the years. I find it a good resource for mapping the bottom when I fish a new location. The temperature reading comes in handy too. I have had a few times when there were fish where it indicated fish but like other, this secondary.

Dr Bob

7. Thank you all for the thoughts and advice.
    I don't expect to find lots of fish popping up on one but I do fish a lake with poor visibility in which it would be very helpful to know what is down there.
    Also hope to do some kokanee fishing this year, and would like to know where the schools are.

8. I thought the NEW Fishin' Buddys had one of the largest lens/eye cone coverage. The older Bottom Line didn't at all and were only good for bottom searching.

I love Humminbird. I have an older 300XT and mounted with the aluminum tubing like Mojo. This fish finder has the little fish icons not the arches, but it has put me into fish on every trip. It is very accurate. To the point that people around me trust it as well. It was a top of the line for it's day. As far as the Humminbird Fishin' Buddy's,.....I would buy one for sure.

9. Man, I've had three; two of the old Fishin' Buddy II's, and one of the newer smaller shaft models, and they've never worked for me. I kept hanging in there with them because my dad has one, I used it and loved it, which sent me on the Fishin' Buddy train . . . I understand from lurking on another site that you either a good one or a bad one. I'm happy for Dr Bob that he (it appears) got a good one.