Pontoon Modifications

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Ed Call, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I'm looking at upgrading to a new or new to me good condition used pontoon for a bit more size and capacity. For my lake fishing adventures I'm most interested in seeing your pontoon modifications or hearing your suggestions on either retractable casting platform/lean bar system if the boat I choose does not have one or is not compatable with one being manufactured. Additionally, I've seen a few casting platforms that are actuall situated beneath the seat itself. The ones I have seen have a seat that flips up and to the rear and then you stand atop the platform built beneath the seat. I would consider this maneuver a bit challenging to pull off but some might be more capable than I. How about a seat sliding mechanism that could be inlaid into the beneath the seat platform and allow the seat to slide to the rear, then I can stand up?

I do not think I'm stupid enough to try to use said platform/lean bar while on a river, just on stillwater where I likely will a majority of my pontoon related adventures.

I'm not the most handy, but capable and determined. I do have some late night hours that I can fill with a minor project because I don't sleep much. Descriptions and photos happily received, and as always, thank you for your input.:thumb:

2. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

I think you may be making it more complicated than necessary. Have you tried a Scadden type standing platform? Can't be beat,IMO. Remember, the bigger you go, more weight.

3. Brett Norquist

Brett Norquist Fly Guy

Mumbles... PM sent. Might have something for ya.

4. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

can you weld or do you know some one that can? if you do i think that will open a door of wonders for you.

5. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I've been thinking similar thoughts. I think a guy could do wonders with a piece of reinforced 1/4" plywood. I just haven't taken the time yet. Thanks for reminding me. I think I could fit a platform in front of my seat on my 9' Outcast. My other thought was how to convert the whole top to a bed to stretch out on, so I could take a napski. :)

6. Tyler Sadowski

Tyler Sadowski Active Member

Media:
    Now what you really need to do is figure out how to get a lazyboy on it. Thats what im talking about. :beer1: :clown:

7. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

I dunno. I was always taught to sit down in a boat. The only exceptions to that might be a full fledged flats skiff. I would be more than willing to trade whatever advantage I thought the added height might offer for the safety of a dry seat. :D

8. Ed Call

Media:
    Ever notice when you are a $hitty caster that when you wade with barely getting your boots wet that you can put the fly in the general area you want? Now step in deeper, deeper, deeper. For me I find that the same distance cast from ankle deep water is so much more fluid, accurate and comfortable than the one when I'm knee, thigh or waist deep. Casting with my @$$ level to the water in my float tube makes really delivering a nice looking cast for the afore mentioned $hitty caster tough. Elevate to the pontoon boat seat, a mere 6-12" above the water surface and the casts are easier. In the right stable craft with no foolishness and calm conditions that I often find in tree protected still water I think that I'll get more out of my casts and in time even improve from my $hitty casting to make all casting positions more comfortable.

I do dig a full on sidearm cast keeping the line just above the water and delivering it under a cut bank that is shrouded by canopy and bank brush along a river...only to get lucky as hell and actually catch a nice king on the move with a seven weight while the gear guys watch. Even a $hitty @$$ caster gets lucky and finds a stupid @$$ fish from time to time.

Thanks all for your ideas. Right now I'm thinking my best plan would be to create a solid platform beneath the seat atop the seat frame section. That seat would be on some sort of slider that permits locking in the fore and aft positions (spring loaded pin...anyone know where to find such a hardware item) on a slider track. Not to be used when not secure either forward or to the back, but merely mobile to allow moving said seat back so I can stand on the center of the frame in the center of balance and deliver a delicate cast that you all would be ashamed to call your own...still seeking stupid or maybe even sensory compromised fish.

Has no one modified their toons or are you just too scared to show us?

9. Dottiesdad

Dottiesdad Member

I am just not strong enough to pass up the chance to post this gem. Interesting mod's on this 'toon.

[​IMG]

You did want to get your posterior up and out of the water -- right?

DD

10. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Boat forum

11. Ed Call

Media:
    Good point. Well delivered.

12. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

If you were to spend as much time working on your cast as you are going to end up spending upgrading your toon with that tricked out sliding platform with the spring loaded locking pin, you wouldn't need that tricked out sliding platform with the spring loaded locking pin........ And you wouldn't fall in the lake the first time you did a double haul.

13. troutangler

troutangler Member

Mumbles,
    Maybe you just need a longer flyrod?
    :)
    Troutangler

14. Mike (Doc) LaCombe

Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Ed

I can't believe you are taking us down this road. I have to agree with Speycaster. In my toon I have NEVER felt the need to hurl a 70 or 80 ft cast. I just get it out there somewhere and then row away letting out a little more line trolling along waiting for the smashing strike. On moving water I park it, get out and work the hole. I don't need no stinking platform.

Mike :thumb:

15. Ed Call

Media:
    Loads of help here. I'm not looking to, nor am I capable of bombing super long casts. I see tons of "great" casters back cast slapping the water and line piling on the delivery. I'm new to trout fishing, only started this spring or summer. What I intend to do is what I will do and in doing so I will hopefully allow for a better presentation. This will give me more practice. Sure, I might fall in. I used to straddle my seat on my skinny 8' and cast to rises. I'll fall eventually but such is life.

Some double haul to improve their distance. Some use double tapers to improve their delicate presentations. Some fish from prams to sit higher in a more stable craft with a motor instead of having to row. I want to sit just above the water for the fin kicking bliss of moving around. I like having the oars to use. When that one fish is rising, I want to be able to slide the seat back, stand, false, false, deliver and then enjoy the dance.

It's okay to not give me any of your home modifications, tell me I'm a shitty caster and take lessons, but there is not a soul alive that can cast better from their ass at 10" of elevation than they can if they are delivering that cast from a standing position. My new toon will be more stable than my previous one because of width, lengh and design. All it lacks is an operator that can cast like a perfectionist from his ass. That guy is working on that with casting practice and modifications.

And Mike, I'm not casting from the standing platform in moving water. That is not even remotely in my thoughts. There is more to stillwater fishing than kicktrolling with a long line out. Sure it produces strikes, but it is only one of many techniquest that I hope to use and continually improve. (and you use a pram with an elevated seat, right?)

16. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Have to agree with those above. You don't need the distance casting. What the boat is for in the first place. Get you closer to the spot without the cast.

Onto standing up. Unless you have a flat hulled tubed boat, I would highly suggest NOT putting a platform on your boat. Even if you have it centered on the tubes, you'll find it's still not that stable. Just think of it as a rocking chair. Stand on top of one and center yourself. And no, having water surrounded the tubes doesn't make it more stable. Now, if it was surrounded by sand, yes, but water no. But try the chair technique on a hardwood (or tile, linoleum) floor. Now try adding casting to it. You'll see what I mean. I tried this YEARS ago. Didn't go well.

17. troutangler

troutangler Member

Mumbles,

Do whatever you want man, and have fun with it!:thumb:

I doubt we can talk you out of it anyway.:rofl:

Troutangler

18. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

I didn't mean to be a smart ass by suggesting working on your cast rather than working on your boat. I remember all too well the frustrations I had when I first tried to cast from one of those green canvas do-nut tubes. But to make a long story short, one of the things I learned along the way was that there is more to fly fishing than just firing out long casts.

For example, work about ten or fifteen feet of intermediate line out, and troll along a weed bed in about three feet of water. Your fins are kicking up the sand and muck and fish food off the bottom. And the fish are following close behind. Real close.

There are, of course, other times when you see signs of a fish working and want to be able to cover that fish from a distance. In most cases, keeping a low profile enables you to get closer & make a better presentation without spooking the fish.

19. Ed Call

Media:
    Guys, guys, I'm not trying to be a dick or fuss about your advice. I specifically selected a wider quad bladder pontoon because the majority of my pontoon use is in still water. My recently passed along 8' round rockered boat was narrower, shorter and I'm sure I'll find far less stable than my new one. If casting platforms are so unsafe why are all the manufactures adding them to their boats? Outcast, Water Skeeter, Dave Scaddon all of them have ones with boats. I'm not the smartest guy around, that is for sure, but I'm neither totally stupid or careless.

I did really dig the lawn chari on two strips of styrofoam though.

20. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Mumbles, just because they add it doesn't mean they researched it well. They probably had enough requests and did a knee jerk response to add them. Some of the boats I've seen have alot flatter hulls. Can't attest to them all, but have seen a couple. Say it this way, had a 16' boat with three platforms, only really stable one was the center one, and that was a SIXTEEN foot boat. Now, drop that down to an 8 or 9' boat and you'll see what I mean. Chances are, if it has a standing platform built into the boat, the tubes are probably made for stability (hopefully). Now, if yours came without, I'd be cautious about adding one. And yes, I know some boats either come with or without platforms on the same tubes. But not all. Can think of NRS and I do believe SOTAR that have outfitter tubes and play tubes. One is virtually flat hulled, the other is a full or semi full rocker hull. But wider isn't where you get your stability. It's flatter along the hull (unless you meant the flatness between the tips is wider).