Pontoon or small wooden boat?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by jonbackman, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Congrats Bob for making the jump to the pram! I talked to Ron and also put my order in for another 8' boat. You won't be sorry that you made the decision, and it will be a love affair of epic proportions...

2. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

Paul your adding to your fleet, whats next aa destroyer or a frigate?

3. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I have a 17' drift boat and I often fish it in stillwater. It is nice to stay warm and dry and be able to cast standing up. That said, I also have a Scadden pontoon with a slide-out platform that allows me to stand up to cast and stretch while anchored in a lake, I can troll with fins, and it is way easier to load and unload. It also works really well with an electric, and since my first love is fishing moving water, it allows me to fish down a river using my fins (I can't for the life of me figure why more people don't do this), access places to wade fish and handle white water very well. If I had one boat to do it all, my MacKenzie Drifter 13' that can be configured for either one or two people fishing would be the only boat I would likely need. (Not sure about my 8' pontoon, 9' pontoon, super fat cat and belly boat, plus my NRS 13' whitewater raft but I'm sure I NEED them for something!) Rick

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Denny, you lost me on my quote. I was saying hands down I'd use a pram on flatwater (aka lakes), where my pontoons would be for the rivers. And, my prams were built FOR rivers. Mini driftboats. Higher sided, secure, little wider. Anchored in rivers ALOT more stable then any pontoon you could show me (and I know pontoons). We used them for elk hunting, would also serve as drag boats and could take quartered elk back to camp via the local stream we hunted near. But, I HAVE used BOTH for rivers and lakes. How I came to my opinions on them.

I'm lost on the "Pontoon, obviously the wind doesn't blow it around.". Do you mean on your vehicle or on the water? I know mine would affect the smaller vehicles I had them on. BUT, I never put a pram on top of a vehicle. Why I never talked about loading it. We would stack our prams in the back of our pickups, or had them on flatbed driftboat trailers (hence the mini driftboat scenerio).

5. Gorgefly

Gorgefly Member

Media:
    I haven't used the toon since I got my Spring Creek Pram. Standing and casting to cruising trout is much more fun than kicking around all day in a toon and dragging your line around a lake. You stay higher, dryer, warmer and cooler when you want to.

6. Jerryp

Jerryp New Member

I think it's nice to have to have both a hard bottom boat
    and a toon gives you more options on where to go or comfort.
    I have a 16' drift boat and 3 toons one has stand up platform.
    I will never be without at least a toon!!!!

7. Warren Messer

Warren Messer Member

Home Page: