Pontoon question

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Ianwalkerred, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Ianwalkerred

Ianwalkerred New Member

So, i'm looking at a ODC Sport XL from creek and company.. I know this is primarily a boat intended for lakes.. My question is can a boat like this be used on a river? I'm thinking about the Yakima primarily or maybe the Sky. Thoughts?

2. Bryan Williamson

Bryan Williamson Willybethere

I have a 9' pontoon boat (Scadden) which I've taken down the Yak in July with no problem. I would say you are safe with 8' pontoons...just don't float it during higher water.

3. Ianwalkerred

Ianwalkerred New Member

Thanks Bryan.. how about the material?. i know this boat isn't as heavy duty as some river boats. Think that's an issue?

4. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Hey Bro,
    Been pontooning lakes and rivers fer several years now, luv it much! Just a few ideas to pass along.
    First, the wisdom of buying the best you can afford is timeless especially for a boat. You'll always be glad you spent more for good quality than less for savings. I've been buying and trading up as the years go by because I learn thru experience that quality is never expensive. There is a difference between boats built for rivers vs. lakes. Generally speaking, river boats are built stronger. Better frames, thicker pontoon fabric, better bladders, and so on. I personally would think twice about tackling a river with a lake boat, design and construction do matter. When you're river boating and trouble comes, it can be life threatening real quick. Good equipment and good sense will keep you fishing another day! Yak it up with the men and women who make their living on the water, they won't steer you wrong.
    Secondly, I'd suggest starting with slower water, learning how to manage your boat first. Then graduate to faster water as you gain experience. There's great SRC fishing on the Snoqualmie during the summer and fall.
    Third, I NEVER go river boating without wearing my PFD. Find one that fits and is comfortable then attach it to your boat so you don't leave home without it. There's an old saying, "there are no fishing heroes in the hearts of our mothers". Staying safe is not just a good idea, for the fisherman, it's a commandment!
    Tight lines and safe harbors.

5. DeanHosh

DeanHosh New Member

On being safe I was readings about drownings in WA. First this is the season (first outings), second they rarely find people who drowned with life jackets. Hypothermia yes, drowning no.

Lastly, something like 60% of all people pulled out of the water (i.e. fell overboard) have their fly down!

Safe travels.

6. lcconrad

lcconrad New Member

Get a pontoon that is rated for rivers, you will not be sorry. I have a Bucks Bronco that is great, you pontoons at least 8 feet long (9 is better) and 7 foot oars, Water skeeter has some good boats at reasonable prices. The style of the pontoons is important, the amount of curve on the bottom the pontoon effects how well the boat handles in water, the more contour the better handling, flat bottom pontoons make stable boats, but poor handling boats. Washington law now requires PFDs for all boats, including pontoon boats, float tubes are excluded, but if you sit out of the water state law says you must have a pfd, an inflatable vest works well. I spent several hours at a shop that carried several differnt manufactures and with the help of a very knowledable sales clerk made a good choice. Not something you are likely to find at a big box store.

7. Dottiesdad

Dottiesdad Member

At the risk of embarassing myself, I'll admit to being a reasonably happy owner of an ODC 1018. It's their 10' toon rated for 450 lbs and up to class two rapids. I am good sized (6'6" and could stand to loose a few pounds) and it handled some light white water on the Rouge in S. Oregon easily and comfortably.

I will not thump my chest and say it is the best boat out there. I've had to work through some issues with it that I might not have had to with a spendier rig. But it works just find for me and my use so far.

Will it inspire gear lust? No. It is functional and practical. Sexy is not the adjective I'd use to describe it. It gets the job done, but in a quiet, understated kind of way.

Will it float all day, handle light moving water, manuver well, break down and set up quickly, store in a small space in the garage, fit easily into the back of a small SUV, and provide a comfortable and stable fishing platform? Yes.

I will say that the oars are very solid and well built. Good oars are a must on moving water. I'd not want to have to rely on kick fins while navigating through rapids if you know what I mean!

In a world of limited resources the 1018 is an acceptable compromise for me. I prefer wade fishing on small water to still water. I also prefer fishing alone, so floating moving water leaves me with a shuttle challenge at the end of the float. For the expected use I have for a 'toon, this one serves my purposes.

Your mileage may vary of course.

Best,

DD

8. agsalmon

agsalmon Member

I love my Bucks Bags Southfork...it's a great combo toon for lakes and rivers. I've used it on the Yak, Deschutes, Clark Fork, and many others. I frequently strap my mountain bike to the back to do a convenient self-shuttle back to my car. If you plan on doing rivers you MUST upgrade your oars to a longer and more burly option to help you move and manuever quickly when needed.

9. Andy Kaus

Andy Kaus its only kinky the first time

I've had my ODC816 on the yakima, but flows were pretty low, september I think it was, and we only did beaver tail to Red's. We use them regularly on the Joe over here from June thru labor day,which is after the run off. I do always ride with a PFD (it makes a nice cushion on my backrest) and I do carry a throw bag rescue line after watching my buddy go over a diversion dam on the Bitteroot.