Pontoon, raft, or kayak, for Methow river?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by wbholmesx, Jul 28, 2006.

1. wbholmesx

wbholmesx New Member

I have recently started fishing the Methow river regularly with my wife and want to get a boat/boats that we can use on the Methow, lakes, and a few times on the Sakgit. We are both athletic and strong, but safety is a big issue for my wife and I want to keep her excited about her love to fly fish. She also likes to sea kayak, but is timid about river kayaking. I want to make sure to NOT scare the hell out of her on the river.

What are the pros/cons/advantages and safety concerns of a large pontoon boat with a deck, verses large sit on top kayaks, verses raft boats setup for fishing?

Thanks,
    Brian

2. Methow

Methow Active Member

Pontoon or raft would do you just fine on the Methow, you might look at the 2 or 3 man Pontoons same with the rafts. Make sure you have on your PFDs when on the water.

3. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Check out Watermaster rafts as well. Do a search and it'll come up often.
    They're very stable.

4. islandfisherman

islandfisherman islandfisherman

Brian,Give the folks up at Ocean Kayak a call,someone told me that they have a demo program,and I think that you can even get them to bring a couple of boats down so you two can test them out....my vote is for a kayak as you can tell.....Alan

5. Ron Hecker

Ron Hecker New Member

Brian, we recently purchased a NRS 14' raft. My wife loves to flyfish but is not a good swimmer. I wanted somthing that she would feel comfortable in and still feel secure. It's working great, we have fished quite a few rivers in Montana as well as Yakima and Skagit etc. Works great in skinny water also. Better than my old drift boat. My vote is for a raft.