Pontoon registration?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by luckybalbowa, Sep 25, 2006.

  1. Does a kickboat have to be registered in WA if you put an electric motor on it?

    do you have a link to an official .gov site that I can read?
  2. nevermind....

    Yes.. you do.
  3. I thought anything under 16' with a motor < 10hp was exempt. What have you found???
  4. I heard of a member on here that had a 9 foot pontoon was using an electric motor and got a ticket or a warning stating that it had to be registered to be able to use the electric motor.
  5. That depends on where you operate it.

    "Just as you must have a vehicle registration and title for your car, you must have a Washington title, registration and registration decals to navigate, operate, employ or moor a vessel on Washington’s waters. Exceptions to registration and titling are:

    Vessels that are not propelled by a motor or sail (canoes, kayaks, etc.)
    Vessels less than 16 feet in length and with a motor of 10 horsepower or less if used only on non-federal waters.
    Properly registered vessels owned by residents of another state or country and using Washington waters for 60 or fewer days. "
  6. The regulation pamphlet does show a pontoon boat with registration numbers but I think the post by Sloan is correct. The reason for this post is to inform viewers that a personal floatation device is required when in a pontoon boat. Such a PFS is not required in a float tube.
  7. Would non-federal waters be anything other than the coast, the straits, Puget Sound, Columbia River and possibly the ship canal (including Lakes Union and Washington)?


    Good post. PFD's are a must.

Share This Page