Pontoon Wheel System/Cart

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by SuperSecretCIA, Feb 25, 2007.

1. SuperSecretCIA

SuperSecretCIA Be Like Mike!

Media:
    Ok guys, so I have a slight case of “Cabin Fever”. I decided to dust off the pontoon boat and at least think about flyfishing. Got to thinking about the Eastern WA Lakes and those warm walks across the sand. Now I have used several different wheel systems to get my pontoon boat to the water with poor results when it comes right down to it. First it was a single wheel on bike forks, then two wheels on two bike forks, but neither version had the wheels far enough apart to be stable. I started thinking back to early eighties when my fishing partner and myself wheeled a 9’ “Livingston” into Nunnally on a wide cart. We had it loaded down with cooler, gear, and float tube. It was pretty easy, but the cart was made of plywood (heavy) and did not brake down for transit.

I finally got tired of waiting for someone to manufacture the perfect pontoon cart, so I made my own. My plan was to make a cart that broke down into small pieces and required no welding or special tools to assemble. After many brain strains, I finally decided on using tent canopy fittings and 1” EMT (electrical conduit). The cart assembles using wire lock pins, but I did use stainless steel bolts with nylon lock nuts in crucial places. Right now I am using tires that are 14” x 4”, but I have designed the frame/axles to have allowance for larger tires if necessary. I use four webbing straps to secure the pontoon to the cart, and also use the same straps to attach my pontoon to the top of my van. Out of pocket cost was around $100, but I had many left over components to be used on other carts. I think you could get the cost down to around $75 and much lower if you had some parts lying around that could be used. I hope this gets some of you motivated and eager for spring.:beer2:

Attached Files:

2. Cameron Derbyshire

Cameron Derbyshire Steelhead, Classic Atlantic salmon flies

Media:
    Now you've got me thinking on a plan for moving my pram around ...... hmmmmm

3. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

That is an interesting piece and seems well crafted. Nice job. But it seems to be waaaaaay too wide for many of the places you need to get a pontoon into. How is that going to work on a narrow path? But it did give me some ideas for getting into tight spaces. If the wheels were turned 90 degrees so one was behind the other and the pontoon was carried vertically instead of horizontally it could go up narrow trails and between trees,etc. Kind of like a wheelbarrow with tandem wheels instead of side by side. If one wheel is impeded, just lift it and keep pushing-rolling on the other wheel until clear.

But clearly if you have a road or other wide access your device will be a real backsaver. Ive

4. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    I just purchased an 8' pram and have been trying to come up with a way to get it to the lakes. This looks nice. I may have to give it a try.

Wayne

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
  6. FFK

FFK Member

Media:
    hahah , cabin fever has been getting to us all i belive. nice job

7. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

You can also do a search, "boat carriers" from previous threads. I would attach a photo of one that I have used the past several years to haul my 10' pram into Lenice but but not sure how to retrieve it from the past thread.

8. SuperDave

SuperDave New Member

My 'toon boat carrier uses two 20" bicycle wheels (from the Salvation Army), a length of aluminum tube (from Boeing surplus) and two bosses turned to fit into the tube and threaded to accept the ends of the bicycle axles (these were crafted on a lathe by a friend). Web straps hold the 'toon boat to the axle.

The whole thing is held to gether with two 1/4"X20 eye bolts which also serve at attachment points for the straps. By removing the eye bolts, the whole thing disassembles for transport/storage. (The only limiting factor is the strength of the bicycle axle ends; I've carried about 75 pounds with NO problem)

Total cost $15 and a case of grog. This set-up carries the 'toon boat great (even in the sand). Single-wheeel carriers don't work worth a hoot in sand or on rough terrain!

Further details upon request. I DON'T have the capability to post pixs.

SuperDave

9. SuperSecretCIA

SuperSecretCIA Be Like Mike!

Media:
    NEWS FLASH: SuperSecretCIA's true identity has been revealed!:eek:

Keep the "Duct Tape" handy!:thumb:

Attached Files:

10. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Mel Krieger!!! :)

11. Dick Warnke

Dick Warnke was Pram-Man

There has to be enough of us Pram owners around that someone should be able to come up with something that would work for us. Ideas???

12. SuperDave

SuperDave New Member

I used to use the carrier that I described earlier on this thread to carry a 12' aluminum jon boat as well as my 'toon.

SuperDave

13. Mike (Doc) LaCombe

Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Double D,

I went to your previous post on boat carriers and found your post. Unfortunately the pictures are no longer available. Would have like to see them.

YellowDog,
    I have not been to any East Side lakes. Gibbs is not far from the road but the terrain is downhill and bumpy.

Mike

14. charlie escobedo

charlie escobedo New Member

Great wheel system!!

15. isaacfab

isaacfab Member

Great system, makes me want to make one for my 16' cat.

16. Radway

Radway Member

Nice one, Mikey! Fish-on!

Cheers,

Rad-man