Pontoon Wheel

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Fly_Pilot, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Fly_Pilot New Member

Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hi Everyone,

I just bought my first pontoon boat (ODC 915) making the leap from a float tube, and I'm looking for a wheel that I can attach to the back deck and roll it around.

Does anyone know where I can get one or what I can do to modify something to work?

Thanks.

Fly_Pilot
  2. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,102 / 0
    This is a good day to learn how to use the search feature on this forum. Just go back about 3 pages and you will find a thread on this very topic-complete with pictures. Good luck, Ive
  3. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,226 / 0
    Welcome aboard. Your question was posed in a thread about a week ago at http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=32411

One of the cooler things about this forum format is the Search function. You'd be surprised how many people have/had the same questions you do. Previous threads can often provide a wealth of information without having to wait for someone to answer your question.

K
  4. Dipsnort New Member

Auburn, WA
    You see, now that's a great response! Way to go, Kent!:beer2:
  5. Jason Trout Bum

Edmonds, WA
  6. luv2fly2 Active Member

.othello
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    cabelas has them for $40 plus ship. is the 2 wheeler better than the 1 wheeler? mike w
  7. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Not sure about a 2-wheel setup but my single-wheel boat is a real bear to keep stable when fully loaded and transporting over rough or irregular surfaces. With the wheel on the back, I push it like a wheelbarrow using the footpegs as handles.

Figuring the boat itself weight about 50 pounds then adding oars, fishing gear, food, anchors, etc. it easily pushes 100 pounds. Unless the load is balanced left to right and so one side is heavier, then steering and balancing the whole contraption becomes a real exercise.

While I'm in good shape (for a 59 year old fart!), by the time I've pushed my loaded boat in to say Bobby or Lenice, I begin to feel like my shoulders have been dislocated or one arm's a bit longer than the other.

A sorta solution is to build a loop of nylon webbing that attaches to the frame and which then slips over your neck and shoulders, thus transferring some of the load from your hands to your torso.

Seems to me a two-wheel system would at least eliminate the left-right imbalance potential. But where the rubber meets the road (so to speak), the small wheel designs in the two links above are worse than useless on any surface other than pavement or hard-packed gravel. I had the two-wheel setup for a Jon boat and IMHO, the larger-diameter wheels are much easier to coax over big rocks or through sand or loose gravel.

K
  8. Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Arlington, WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Like you Kent Im in relatively good shape but this 59 yr old body doesn't have the stamina it once had. Several years back I purchased the two wheel canoe carrier from Cablels it has a kick stand, conviently folds up and comes with an air pump. I believe its still $119 (little spendy), but I must say it was a good envestment. It's capacity is 300 lbs and with rubber inflated bicycle tires, this I find very easy to pull into and out of lenice with just one hand. even though it's made for a canoe a simple modification makes so that I can pull my 10' glass pram and all my crap in as well as a pontoon. Once my fishin bud saw how simple is was to pull a boat in he bought one the following week. Because of the capacity you can stack two pontoons or even two small prams if necessay.

The modification is simple: two 1 X 3 box aluminum bars mounted across the uprights (1x3 is a bit overkill but all I could find at the time) with holes drilled in the ends to mount the hold down straps. It comes with one hold down strap but you need two to hold it securly. As for what cusions the boat on the bars we simply add two seat cusions or you can glue on a rubber gaskit. When we get to our destinantion and to keep the honest theives honest we secure the carriers to a tree with a lock and chain.
    If anyone is interested I can attach a photo later.
  9. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    I've seen those carts and wondered about how to modify one for a pontoon. I'd love to see photos when you get a chance.

Thanks,

K