Pontoons on the river, etc.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by mat1226, Jul 15, 2002.

1. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Hi Folks,

My question is for all you very experienced float tubers. Never had one myself. Always had a drift boat. Sometimes kind on inconvenient.

I seem to see references on several threads where people are floating certain rivers with pontoon craft.

Does a person need to have oars with a pontoon craft to float with one of these, or are people doing well with some of the newer float tubes that resemble a pontoon boat with oars, but do not have the oars. In other words fins and waders for navigation from hole to hole.

I suppose it depends on the river of course. But I am pondering a purchase for the lakes and wondering about certain river applications.

Hope this is relevant. It has me occupied.

Cheers,

Mark

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've taken my old floattube down a few rivers, but for most part, I wouldn't advise on most decent sized rivers. When I had one of my smaller pontoon boats, I had effectively used just fins to maneuver while I fished. But always had oars onboard.

What rivers are you planning on running? I only ask this, because some rivers I'd HIGHLY advise not to use a floattube on. But a very slow running/low river is ok.

Steelheader69
    "You haven't lived until you've run a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts."

3. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Hi Mark,

If you buy a float tube / pontoon boat designed for stillwater, keep it there. The frame and pontoons were not designed for rivers. Let's assume your buying a craft that'll handle rivers adequately...

If your hitting the rivers for steelhead/salmon/SRC, your using your pontoon for transportation. Leave your fins at home as they just add time taking them on and off while hole jumping.

For trout waters such as the Yakima, you wan't your hands free to fish while moving. Fins here are a must. Your lake fins though need not apply. My take on river fins are (1) ease of entry/exit which I've found is the straps rather then many of the lake styles which are designed for comfort and proficiency when wearing them all day in deep stillwater, (2) shorter and a bit stiffer providing easier lateral movement for spinning around.

As you get better with your fins you'll likely not touch your oars but every so often. That doesn't mean you should rush into it or leave your oars in the truck. Your problems will not be so much in deeper water navigation but rather quick/thin water approaching sweepers when bottom skipping feet can't get a good kick. Picking the correct line and boat position and being able to hold that position is critical and in some cases difficult.

So, you've started using your fins and have become pretty comfortable when bam, you've lost your position and are heading quick towards that sweeper. I'd rather be on the oars pulling hard then relying on my fins. That exact position is where my Uncle found himself. He was lucky that under the surface at the bottom of a huge stump had room for him to go under and that the river flows even allowed the movement. His boat came through it and he was able to recover some of the yard sale that ensued minus his rod & most of his flies.

A few other points:
    *** A quality PFD is not an option.
    *** When it doubt, carry your pontoon around the obstacle.
    *** Practice on an easy river.
    *** Carry a pump to air up on the river if needed.
    *** Think ahead when carrying your rod. If you've got to jump on the oars in a pinch where are you going to put it safely.
    *** Going with someone experienced is the best way to learn the correct lines and position.
    *** Ensure your craft has more then enough capacity. In some cases I've found my 8ft rated at 300lbs to be under gunned. I'm 240lbs, add some for extra gear and I'm pushing it. A craft rated at 350-500lbs is in my near future.

Hope some of this helps. What I should also mention is that I really enjoy my boat on the rivers. It's one of the best purchases I've made.

~Chris

4. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Steelheader69 & Chris,

Thanks for the replies. Excellent advice.

I was thinking N. Fork of the Stilly, which I do not know too well yet, for some absurd reason. I had noticed some oar based pontoon boats on some of DD's clients pics from that river and then someone had mentioned fins so I was trying to figure that one out.

For the rivers I will stick with my versatile old Lavro.

Thanks,

Mark

5. Joe

Joe Member

Mark,

Be aware that for most of the North Fork of the Stilly (above Cicero bridge) fishing from a "floating device" is not allowed, so there's really no point in using fins there. Use oars and waders.

Joe

6. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Thanks Joe,

I did read that in the regs. I only wish more of our rivers had similar rules. When I was walking upstream of Oso the other day it was kind of nice knowing no boats would be coming down into the hole I was working.

Mark

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I might be old---but I'm good.

You might not have to look out for boaters,but in the summer time you have to look out for kayakers. I was fishing in that hole below the bridge on C.Post road one summer and a bunch of them came down river and stopped and played around in the hole I was fishing in. I asked them not to stop there and all I got out of them was a blank stare. Talk about people with no manners. Jim S.

8. guest

guest Guest

Old Man,

I do believe it is a violation of WDFW statues to interfer with a fisherman while fishing. TELL THEM! ...and then bend over and kiss your hinny for good luck. Such behavior should be reported and hopefully agency personnel with respond before the first frost :DUNNO . You know, that WDFW truck that showed up at the lake on Sunday was the first I've seen in the last two years, seems we really do need more enforcement officers out there.

stumpfisher

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Never heard of that regulation

The closest thing to that I've heard is the right of way to a fisherman vs a netter, whereas the netter is SUPPOSED to yield right of way.

Hmmmmm, I used to be a hardcore kayaker. Were they just doing 360's or practicing rolls? Only reason I ask is because during summer is usually best time to practice rolls and if it's a deep spot the better. Not excusing them, but if they're not fishermen in the Kayak, they have no idea what they're imposing on. But I've never heard of the above bylaw, in that case you could legally stop any DB from passing over your water because they're spooking your hole, and also same for an upriver sled.

Steelheader69
    "You haven't lived until you've run a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts."

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

Yeah he was there but he didn't even get out of his truck. I was suprised, because they usually get out and asked to see your license's. Maybe he heard me cussing and thought better of it.

Why is it that the eyes of a #18 hook are so small. And 6X leader so tiny and limp. With my eyes and my shakes it's a joke to watch me put on a fly. I've tried just about everything on the market to attach leader to small flies but nothing seems to work. any body got any ideas. :DUNNO Jim S. :COOK

11. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hey Old Man/Jim S.

LOL, my Dad has same problems. Wanna know what to do? Get a needle threader you find in a sewing kit. You can try using a bobbin threader, but they're usually too big. Thread the threader into the eye and then run your tippet through that. Has worked well for my Dad so far.

Steelheader69

12. guest

guest Guest

Never heard of that regulation

Not being an attorney, I submit the following for entertainment purposes, only.

RCW 77.15.210

(1) A person is guilty of obstructing the taking of fish, shellfish, or wildlife if the person:

(a) Harasses, drives, or disturbs fish, shellfish, or wildlife with intent of disturbing lawful pursuit or taking thereof; or
    (b) Harasses, intimidates, or interferes with an individual engaged in the lawful taking of fish, shellfish, or wildlife or lawful predator control with the intent of disrupting lawful pursuit or taking thereof.

Remedies:

RCW 77.15.212 - in a nutshell allows the damaged party, should they prevail, reasonable attorney's fees and up to treble damages.

RCW 77.15.070 - Civil forfeiture of property used for violation of Chapter.

(1) Fish and wildlife officers and ex officio fish and wildlife officers may seize without warrant boats, airplanes, vehicles, motorized implements, conveyances, gear, appliances, or other articles they have probable cause to believe have been held with intent to violate or used in violation of this title or rule of the commission or director. ...

Further:

RCW 77.15.180 clearly states that "interference with recreational gear used to take fish or shellfish" is a violation of law.

And should it come to it:

RCW 9A.84.030 clearly states any activity which "intentionally disrubts any lawful assembly or meetings of persons without lawful authority" is a violation of law, i.e. harassment.

Now some of these may be hard pressed to pursue as a remedy of law but I would hazard to say that once you put the offender(s) on notice that they are infringing on your lawful rights and that proceeding further would put them in violation of the law and they continue with their actions then they have established intent and waived their rights to any affirmative defense. ...or such is my layman's interpretation.

There are members of this community with clear legal credentials and I would hope they step in to correct or clarify as needed.

stumpfisher

13. mtp1032

mtp1032 New Member

Hey Old Man/Jim S.

C&F Design sells "threaders". You can even buy flyboxes with built-in threaders. I didn't buy the fly box, but I did pick up a nifty package of three threaders and a tweezer.

If you tie flies, you'll recognize a threader as a variation of a bobbin threader (but with really thin wires).

I got mine at Creekside in Issaquah. But I suspect any fly shop will have 'em.

Cheers,

Michael

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Hey Old Man/Jim S.

I picked up some of those threaders at a hobby store. But what my main problem is my shakes. I have what is called "excessive tremors". So I shake when I get nervous or tired. I usually get mad at myself and cuss alot but then thats just me. Jim

15. fishnfella

fishnfella New Member

Hey Old Man/Jim S.

Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up
    and fish the evening hatch.

Hey old man, We all start to get a little shaky after 60. One thing that may help if you know what fly works on the water you're going to is to tie some up at the vise ahead of time and store pre-tied in a leader wallet. You can steady your hand better on the vise than in the field.
    Another thing I do when fishing subsurface is to use those SMALL silver shepards hooks to attach/unattach my fly to tippet. Saves time and works great when searching or trying pattern variations. Don't know if it will help the shaky hand much, but it's worth a try...may be easier than threading a lymph tippet in the field. The fish don't mind the shepards hooks,sometimes I think they even help....look like a silvery air bubble same as a beadhead would.

16. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    ahhhhhhhhhhhh

No wonder why I hadn't heard of it. They should put those in the FISHING regulations. How many of us have carefully studied the revised codes of washington (aka RCW). I'm sure most of those points could easily be defended in court. I've been to court enough (from everything from PI lawsuits to divorce court) and it seems some of the most lame excuses are accepted (ie. I thought he was fishing tailout below him, so figured that the deep hole in front of him was ok to practice rolls in). It's good to know that, I'll have to bring that up when a few guides I know on the Nooch decide to pull anchor and camp out on top of me. :THUMBSUP Stumpfisher, I REALLY appreciate that, I'm even going to write down the RCW #'s and quotes so I can use them. :THUMBSUP

Steelheader69

17. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Hey Old Man/Jim S.

That's those little silver pieces of wire arn't they. Like I said I've tried just about everything. Like to day it took about 4 shots at a size 18 eye to get my leader/tippet thru. So now I use a smaller but stiffer material. It all works but sometimes it just takes longer. But I'm retired so time don't mean much. I still get my casts in. Jim :COOK

18. Fly rod

Fly rod New Member

Hey Old Man/Jim S.

What do you have to be nervous about your fishing? If you are tired perhaps your body is telling you its time stop and rest. :THUMBSUP