Poodles and pheasants

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Roper, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    I thought that title might raise some interest, but truth be known my standard poodle, Sasha, hunts.
    Now, she's had no real training so most of what she is doing is instinct. Granted those instincts are not top notch but she gets better each hunt. This hunt started like any other, she runs ahead ranging rather far, runs all around like the goofball that she is, and then settles down into scenting and being more methodical. When she does get some scent she gets a bit more focused and starts working the cover better. She's not real big on plowing into the heavy thorny stuff and some birds would burrow in and hold there.
    Sasha raised 3 birds in about 2 hours and I was able to get two of them. The last bird caught both of us just crossing a creek, I was still mid air jumping over it. Of course my safety was on and I missed the last of that picture perfect trailing away shot.
    Sasha slept most of the ride home and most of the evening too. I was reloading and she was at my feet. Great close to a great day in the field.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mike McAvoy

Mike McAvoy olddog22202

Fantastic. I have always heard poodles would/could hunt but yours is the first hard evidence I see that they can. Great pictures too. Does she retrieve at all? does her coat pick up much in the way of burrs and seeds?
    Mike

3. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Saw the title and knew that it was Roper & Sasha. Nice job! Does she look back at you when you miss with that "How could you miss that?" look.

MB

4. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Good going Roper, good going Sasha.
    That dog hunts!!!!!

5. Islander

Islander Steve

Great report and nice looking bird. I've read that poodles (at least the standard variety) are very intellegent dogs and can be trained to do a lot of various tasks. Keep hunting her, she'll get better and better.

6. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Thanks Mike, she doesn't retrieve but will run to the downed bird and make sure it doesn't run. Burrs...my goodness, she's like velcro for burrs, seeds, twigs, grass, you name it. A good hour of de-burring and a shower and she's like new.

7. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    No, but she does look back with the "what are you doing way back there..?" look...:rofl:

8. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Great report. I seriously considered getting a poodle for hunting. I think they are an incredible dog and I'm glad yours is coming along. I backed out on getting mine, opting for another Labrador. You have to understand what it would have been like in the duck club where I hunt. Those guys would have never let up. I couldn't have handled it. :D I'm gutless I guess.

I hope you'll post more reports. If you are ever working your dog during the off season I would love to come watch.

9. Mike McAvoy

Mike McAvoy olddog22202

Karl writes ....."If you are ever working your dog during the off season I would love to come watch"
    HA! What a great way to learn cover locations ..... I'll come too and bring my GPS, :)))

Hey Karl,
    I just opened up your blog for the first time and enjoy your writing style and musings, Have Bookmarked it and look forward to catching up on what you and the Grits have been up to. Good work.
    Peace
    Mike

10. Upton O

Home Page:
    Thanks Mike. To be honest, I was thinking about Roper working his dog in a field trial type area. I honestly didn't think about him working out in his covers. Duh. Sometimes I wonder where my head is. I really like the idea of the hunting poodle. I read somewhere that the clipping of the poodle started so people could differentiate their dogs from others at a distance. I also heard that the clipping style evolved to be imitate the British lion as an insult to the British Crown.

Anyway, thanks much of the compliment on the blog. It's been a lot of fun.

Roper, I really don't want to know where you're hunting. I'm not that kind of a guy. :) I just want to see a poodle at work in the field.

Karl

11. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Hi Karl-4:48 am! You must be an early riser like me (I'm on my way to the gym at 4:30am). BTW-I too like your blog-keep writing! Roper, I'm not proud and would love to learn where you hunt!:thumb: Rick

12. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Gotta love it, guys! Poodles are the original bird dogs, courtesy of the French (unfortunately). Yes, they will hunt birds, but I can't speak for their retrieving qualities. I'm half French, and can say the following with authority: Pity the French couldn't put two barrels together like Joe Manton did, and create the side-by-side! Maybe that's why the mantle of bird hunting quickly passed to the English. I've always believed that other dogs thought Poodles were members of some wierd religious cult!

Rick, you gotta have a ton of grouse, both ruffs and blues, up around Winthrop. You're not getting into them?

13. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Alex-I was kidding about Ropers hunting areas. Yes I did well on grouse in September, and did very well on pheasant and sharptails in Montana a couple weeks ago. I do like to hunt pheasant and quail, but most of my WA haunts seem to be on a decline for those birds. Brewster/Bridgeport and Banks Lake areas have been really poor this year (according to my brother who was hunting opening weekend and also he was in the Chelan area last weekend with just a few birds in the bag.) We used to hunt the Othello and last year was so poor that we haven't been back this year. I may need to get down into the Pomeroy area, but that is a long drive from home. Rick

14. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Common misunderstanding, they are Germanic in their origin, being "peudel" dogs. Old woodcut prints show hunters using them prior to having guns. The dogs would "herd" the birds to the hunters and they would throw nets over the birds.

Granted, the French standardized the breed, but they also started breeding them as non-working dogs. The trend went way south if you ask me...:rolleyes:

In any event, they are a smart, joyful, endearing breed. And I'll likely continue to have them as pets and hunting dogs.

15. Upton O

Home Page:
    So the French took something from the Germans for a change. Interesting.

16. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Oui!

17. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Media:
    I could just imagine someone showing up at the duck club with Fifi!

18. jobyksu

jobyksu Long Drift Trouter

I was told it was a "hunting cut" designed to allow the poodles to retrieve from the water yet keep the important parts warm.

Only decent reason to do that to a dog without someone calling the ASPCA :thumb:

Glad to see her having some fun!