Pooh's Pond

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jefffly, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Jefffly The more we know, the less we can learn!

sequim, wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
  2. pfournier Do it outside!

tacoma, wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Link don't work. Nothen. Where's Pooh's Pond?
  3. Kyle McCurdy Member

Port Angeles, WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    It's off of highway 112 west of Port Angeles up Dan kelly Rd.

Caught many many fish up there.

He has 2 ponds. an upper pond and a lower pond. The lower pond has all the big fish, some up to 15lbs. There is also carp and bluegill.
  4. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +481 / 0
    Yeah, that link be busted. Let's see the hawg!
  5. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    iagree
    iagree
  6. Jefffly The more we know, the less we can learn!

sequim, wa
    The link works for me it may be because its from my pix place at verizon if anybody could tell me a different way to post a link or change the location of it ill re post that pic
  7. Kyle McCurdy Member

Port Angeles, WA
    If you save the image onto your desktop and then upload to a free photo-hosting website (photobucket or imageshack) and hand the link to us that way it should work fine.
  8. Jefffly The more we know, the less we can learn!

sequim, wa
    poohs pond.jpg
    This work?
    small pic but it worked
  9. Kyle McCurdy Member

Port Angeles, WA
    Works like a charm. Nice catch. Biggest one I have gotten up there was probably around the 6# mark.

What did ya catch him on?
  10. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,324 / 9
    Nice photo of a nice fish, fat little bugger no?
  11. pfournier Do it outside!

tacoma, wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
  12. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +481 / 0
    Wow, that really is a hawg. soooo-eeeeeeee
  13. Jefffly The more we know, the less we can learn!

sequim, wa
    caught him on a size 14 chrionomid, white bead head, red thread body, with a copper wire rib. thats the only fly I caught fish on up there that day, and got about 10 fish in a couple hours while using it.
    And yes he was fat!!
  14. Tyler Sadowski Member

Kirkland, wa
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    Nice fish! Just curious guys but is this a private pond or is it open to the public?
  15. Kyle McCurdy Member

Port Angeles, WA
    It's open to the public for a fee.

Last I remember it was $10 a day for the upper pond and $25 for the lower pond.
  16. Tyler Sadowski Member

Kirkland, wa
    Thanks for the info. Is it mostly hatchery trout?
  17. Kyle McCurdy Member

Port Angeles, WA
    It's all hatchery trout. Man made ponds he had planted years ago.

It's worth a trip up there. It's beautiful.
  18. Tyler Sadowski Member

Kirkland, wa
    I just might have to do that. I have never spent much time over there. Would anybody like to give me directions. Any info is greatly appreciated guys.
  19. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    Nice pig, Jefffly. I'll bet it put up quite a battle. I've never been to Pooh's, but I've been told of the place.
    As its lying on the dock in your pic, i assume you bonked it. I'm OK with that, as its a pay-to-play stocker pond. I wonder, though. Does "Pooh" charge you any less for the lower pond if you just C&R every fish you catch? I think $25 is rather expensive! But it might be fun, and worth the price, to go there and tie into one of those if you have never hooked a big trout before.

Then again, I'll probably never go there. With ga$ and the fee, that would be a $70-$75 trip for me and I can get to my favorite seasonal local lake and back for about $8, and a decent year-round lake for about $10. I don't want to have to pay up, or keep one of those big ones. I've hooked some big stocked "trophy triploids" in some of the lakes I've fished. Awesome fun on either a 4 wt or 6 wt.
    I kept a couple, the first year I started finding them. They smoked up OK, but were really oily, being fresh stocked at that size, and the meat was pale and not very appealing in appearance. I kinda wondered what it had been eating all its life....food pellets? I always wonder what kind of anti-biotics, if any, are in the food pellets, and if any of that stuff accumulates in the flesh.
    I had to bust one off (at a favorite lake) that was at least as big as the one in your photo two seasons ago, because I would have had to tire it to certain death to get it in on my 4 wt. It was tiring out, but kept nosing slowly but powerfully into the weeds. I finally pointed my rod tip at it and gave my line a yank. (I would have had to bonk it, and I didn't want to eat it).
    I do sometimes bonk a good 14" to 16" stocked Rainbow from a lake, though, as that is just about the right size for a good meal. At least once a year, I'll even take home a limit of lake-caught stocker 'bows so I can run a smoker full. I figure snacking on smoked stocker 'bow is probably much less a health hazard than eating bacon.:eek:
  20. Jefffly The more we know, the less we can learn!

sequim, wa
    No I didnt bonk him, I know shouldnt put him on the dock I tried not too, wanted to keep him in the rubber net but he flopped himself out onto the dock so I took a quick snapshot with the cell phone and slid him back into the water! it was a good little fight with my 3 wt
    The ponds are very beutiful up there and the owner Ken is a great guy who does put alot of time into keeping the fish healthy. Ive never kept one out of the ponds the average fish up there I would say is 2-3 lb and are fiesty kamloops trout thats the third one ive caught of that size.