Poor Eyesight and Trying to Work With Small Tippets

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dawhale, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    I think that I tried just about everything out there over time. Nothing beats a good pair of glasses. And I don't mean Beer glasses.
  2. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    I am with old man. Seems my near vision has gone south the past few years. I used the flip downs but as mentioned above they always seemed to be in an awkward position. I broke down and bought prescription sun glasses with bifocals and the problem seems to be solved. They are also the best sunglasses I have owned. I also have one of the threaders when I am fishing 18-22's, but going that small is pretty rare in the places I fish.
  3. The Dude Member

SW WA
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    I went fishing yesterday and forgot the glasses, I only fished for 3 hours as I got tired of the struggle without the glasses. I just have 1.0x or 1.5x quicky grocery store glasses, but I now know I do need them for tying flys. stabbing the eye is easy but watching the threads not so much. I had 20/10 vision, last time I went in for the eye exam, the doc was happy to tell me I had 20/20 vision. I told him that it sucked by comparison..
  4. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,709 / 0
    I had to move up from bifocals to trifocals for tying flies and knots. The closeup lens has made all the difference when it comes to tying on fine leader and small patterns.

If you're already wearing bifocals, you may as well belly up to the bar and go with the trifocals -- if you're having problems up close than you need them.
  5. Jim Allen "Fish-On" Custom Fly Rods

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Lost the vision in my left eye to Glaucoma a few years ago. One eye = no depth perception!! My vision in my right eye is ok. Tying on flies was almost impossible I almost quit fishing out of frustration. Then I discovered the replacement threaders and I was back in action.
  6. Jim Paget Active Member

Ratings: +38 / 0
    I have my grandfather's fly box and all of the flies in it have short leaders or tippets attached.
    Lugan likes this.
  7. Mark Yoshida Active Member

Seattle WA
    Ratings: +67 / 1
    I know what thats like. Driving at night is tougher. Have to quit fishing before dark and plan my drive time home. Having surgery on Monday to remove fluid in the right eye to relieve the pressure. Last 6 steroid injections in the right eye have not worked. Hopefully this will help keep my vision a little longer.
  8. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +139 / 3
    Go see a good eye doc. If cataracts is not the problem, investigate Lasik surgery. They've been doing it long enough, they have it down pat, and the price has come down. Way down.
  9. 1morecast Active Member

Port Angeles
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    This thread made me chuckle. After 6 months of winter steelhead fishing - tying 2 - 4in. flies, tying flies on with 10-12lb. Maxima, all of which I can do without glasses.
    Now I'm tying trout flies, sz 16-20 and tying up leaders using 5X-7X tippet. I need to wear cheaters for tying, and while trying to tye a blood knot with 6X I can't even feel the tippet materail in my fingers much less see it.
    Now I can't leave the house without 3 pairs of glasses. Sunglasses, cheaters and prescription glasses for driving at night.
  10. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    It sucks to get old, doesn't it.
  11. Jim Allen "Fish-On" Custom Fly Rods

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Wow this was an interesting topic now lets discuss Prostate isses and the rapid removal of wadders.... :eek: I love this forum
  12. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,709 / 0
    They call it the "golden years" but as far as I can tell, it is only golden because you're constantly peeing.
    Old Man and Dave Evans like this.
  13. kmudgn Member

Manhchester,NH
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    I hate to tell you, but its called "presbyopia" which is latin for old eyes. So far, I am ok with the flip down mag unit. Was on the water today and had some trouble tying on a tiny prince so I may try that mag threader.
  14. Dave Alberts Member

Lakewood, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Jim--
    shouldn't your post more properly be in the "classifieds"...?? jus' askin...!
  15. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA
    Ratings: +63 / 0

This is my solution as well. Works well for me.
  16. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,035 / 1
    I'd take one of them teeny little tippets and teeny little flies down to the local drugstore. I'd try on the reading glasses until I found the magnification I needed for the job. It might be you need a stronger power for tippets than for general reading. Or, go fishing with a 12 year old.
  17. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +139 / 3
    I used to have an 8x tool makers loupe that clipped onto the side frame of my prescription sunglasses.