Poor mans motorized dubbing brush invention

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
  2. lx-88

lx-88 Member

Media:
    Interesting idea. I think I'll give that a try. Thanks

3. Daryle Holmstrom

Media:
    As a second thought I think all you need is the wider 3/4 inch slot. I made the 3/8 inch slot for finer materials but by just adding less you can get by with the bigger slot. So far I've found the best wire is 32 ga. 26 and 28 gauge seem to be too stiff. I'm going to hit the local electronics store tomorrow to see if they have some 30 gauge copper. The first time I used it I waxed the wire but then the dubbing was sticking to my fingers. It seems to work just fine with no wax. I run the motor until the wire breaks.

Daryle

4. Daryle Holmstrom

Media:
    top, disregard first

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Retiredfish. Get ahold of Randy Diefert. He's on this site. He's got a sweet deal on how to make one of these things.

Jim

6. Tom Grobelny

Tom Grobelny Member

Media:
    I still have not gotten the pics of my set up that I am supposed to get to you. You seem to be getting good results with your set up though.

My tool is closer to the "twister" tool" photo of this tool below. It has a "head stock" and a "tail stock". The head will rotate to twist the wires while the tail is spring loaded to keep tension on the wires while allowing the length of the wires to shorten as the wire is twisted.

It looks like if you are using dubbing that your tool might have the advantage over mine as you have a motorized twister. I have to spin mine by hand. I think that my set up may work a bit better if you are using longer hair like hair cut off a zonker strip or artic fox, as I can probably lay the second wire down and start twisting them together without disturbing the fir as much.

Tom G

Attached Files:

7. Daryle Holmstrom

Media:
    Must be deja vu Tom, I was going to ask how you got the fur ones so nice, I tried some rabbit fur tonight but not as good as yours. Regular dubbing works out great though.

Daryle

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I went to this web site to check it out and they will sell you one for about$100.00 plus $15.00 shipping. Way to much to pay for something to twist up rabbit fur. So I'm still looking.

Jim

9. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Jim, The one that I sent to you costs $15.00 to build. And works much better than the one I have that cost me over a $100.00. And it has MUCh mo' power!

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Yeah, but I'm mentally challenged. I don't think that I could do all that and have it look like anything that resembles that. So I guess that I'll keep looking as something is bound to turn up or I die first.

Jim

11. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    I reckon I'm still a little behind...I have never seen or heard of this, but it looks quite interesting. Randy do you have a photo or something of yours? I sure would like to learn how to do this.

:cool:

12. Randy Diefert

Yes Scott but, I'm more mentally challenged than Jim says he is. If you PM me your email address I'll gladly sent you 2 very good pictures of it and instructions on how to build it along with some tips that I'm going to incorporate into my next one. I cant fiqure how to get it from my documents to this page but, I have no problem emailing them. I just made up 50 Dubbing ropes for Ronn Egle Elks swap and The Leach Swap in 2 days with very little work...
    So, it works for me.
    Randy

13. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    Cool!!!!! PM sent...

:cool:

14. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    resurrecting this post...

I was in a craft store and saw a manual wire twisting tool for crafts that was about 4-5 bucks. It just had a simple table clamp. Anyone see these before? Would they work for this?

15. Randy Diefert

Does it loook like a safety wire pliers? If so I'm not sure that you'd be able to get a rope that's long enough. I find that a 12-14" dubbing rope can produce 3 "nice sized Flies" . It can be really frustrating to run out of material 1/2 way through tying the fly.

16. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    It just has a spot to put a few strands of wire (or whatever) on the top and then on the bottom. There is some kind of hand crank for twisting. Lenght could be a problem since it looked more like 8-9 inches. I'll have another look next time I'm there.

17. Randy Diefert

This is my answer to the poor man's dubbing rope machine. It has a 14" drop down table that is held in place with 2 spring loaded cabinet hinges,Mount a sewing machine motor (thift store) 2" before the table and Jb weld a hook in the end. On the other end mount a Dowel rod and insert a cup hook at table (up position) hieght. To that get your self a spring and a ball bearing swivel. Wire in a dimmer switch to the sewing machine motor. And you've got it.

Attached Files:

18. Tom Grobelny

Tom Grobelny Member

Media:
    Randy,

It looks like you have my setup beat for speed and long fir brushes now!

I used rabbit fir brushes for spring creek specials and have started making some sparse brushes to replace the hackle on wolly buggers and the like. Looks like you will have fun with your setup.

Tom G

19. Randy Diefert

Tom, I use this machine allot. It works great. I made it after returning home with one that I bought in Canada last year that doesn't have enough power or stamina to keep up making dubbing brushes after a few hours. This IS the ticket , believe me. The hardest thing is finding the sewing machine motors without buying the whole enchilada. I'm still looking for one (motor) for Jim Swan's machine that I'm making him. You'll need to find that and set it up first because that will set your hieght for the rest of it. The most important factors are: The height is the same all of the way acroos the wire and, the wire is laying straight in the groove of your table. The one I bought , I made portable with a nine volt convertor/battery charger from Radio Shack. But, Like I said it's good for an hour tops before it runs out of poop.
    Good luck, If you've got any questions Feel free to PM me.This site's all about sharing!:beer2:

20. bass-tard

bass-tard New Member

I can't wait to get started on making dubbing brushes. Has anyone encountered a problem with the speed of the electric motor? I think most "dremel" tools spin between 5000 and 30000 rpm (at least on the cheap models that I looked at).