Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Poor mans motorized dubbing brush invention

11K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  Randy Diefert 
#1 ·
#28 ·
Yes, You definately need to control the speed of what ever motor you use. And winding the rope until the wire breaks works but what works better is...
on the far post run your wire through a ball bearing swivel and attach that to a spring which is attached to the post. now run the wire back to the motor and trap your material in between the 2 wires and slowly start twisting the wire. Gradually increase the motor speed.When the material stands straight out at a 90 degree angle from the wire your done.Overtightening does not strengthen the rope. The reason a hand held motor works is that your getting closer to the other end as the wire twists. That's why you can get by without the spring and swivel.If a rope is made right ,it can be combed with a wire brush with a minimumamount of material loss. There are a lot of materials that can be added to make very interesting brushes.

#29 ·
I've seen this refrence to a "ball bearing swivel a couple of times. what's it's purpose? I understand the spring allows the brush to shorten as it is twisted but if the wire was hooked to the swivel it would turn with the moter and not twist????

#31 ·
Yes, The dimmer switch should work on your fan motor as a dimmer switch is what I use on my ceiling fan in my Den. You can look at the machine my friend built for my classes on my site to get an idea of how to set up your machine. Just make sure that if you do use a dimmer switch on your machine, it is the type that pushes "on & off"the twist of the knob just controls the motor's speed. I might add one word of caution in here also. Do not use a motor that you cannot stop with your bare hands and do not wear rings when you are using these machines. This is why I wouldn't go any bigger than a sewing machine motor. The other thing that I don't like is a foot control. I like to have my hands in control of the machine so, everything is set up within fingertip reach. The machine my friend made for me makes a 16" brush.
Hope this answers your questions.
Randy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.