Popped my Steelhead Cherry!

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by yellowlab, Nov 20, 2010.

1. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    It is nice to get the first one.

My first intentionally caught on the fly was also 30"s and weighed in at about 6lbs. I am glad you got a "fat" one!

The Brats are coming so now you know how it is done. The second one is much easier, if easier even applies!

Dave
  2. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Always a pleasure to throw in a congratulation for any first steelhead:thumb:
    Nice hatchery fish.

LB
  3. washingtonlocal New Member

Yakima, WA
  4. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +92 / 0
    Pink Worm? (Just Kidding) Nice fish!
  5. powderglut My Kind Of Wave

Steamboat Springs Colorado
    After all those casts!! Whoo Hoo! Way to go!
    Must catch more STEELHEAD! Must catch more STEELHEAD!..........................
  6. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    :thumb: Beautiful summer brat and congratulations Paul, welcome to the club!! (no pun intended)

I'm sure Sean pegged his first one too... He's still too shy to come out of the closet......:eek:
  7. Sean Beauchamp Teepee Creatchin'

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +369 / 1
    my first steelhead was actually my best one and jumped on a nymphed yarnie i tied with 'Yard by headlamp around the fire on the hoh the night before. 15 pounds of queets river chrome! never forget that fish as long as i live. my 2nd and 3rd were the following day and they were actually on a pink worm i stole from 'Yard's box of goodies. but that worm wasn't rubber! and may or may not have been tied on a 1/16th oz jighead.

that week camped out on the coast was the beginning of the end for me. i was a little reluctant to give up brown trout and the salt beaches but a steelhead on the skated dry changed that. been a little over a year since that one and i haven't missed a beat. steelhead year round is the program now.

you might forget all about chironomids and humpies there Paul if you aren't careful. you'll be cracking out on river flows, tying pretty flies and saying shit like "I fished well today, just no one home."
  8. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +163 / 5
    Sweeeet, nice fish, congrats. Does this mean you're giving up lake fishing now??
  9. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +87 / 8
    Steve, my first love is saltwater fly fishing. Steelheading just rounds out the rest of the calendar year for me. Mid Nov. - March (winter steel with a trip to Cabo to warm up my frozen steelhead hands), April - June (Stillwater at Pass lake and then migrating to Eastern WA and then BC lakes), July - September (salmon and salt species), Oct - Nov (finishing up with stillwater and a little chum and B run Coho). I won't bother with summer run steel unless I lived along the Wa/ID/OR border. What it does mean for me is probably another Spey or switch rod. My wife already knows I'm crazy, and sometimes I admit that I am as well. Moving from CO to WA 11 years ago has been the best thing that's happened for my Flyfishing 'hobby'. There were only a few species to chase: trout, Kokanee, bass, bream, pike, and carp. A skilled fisherman would only need a few rods and lines. This is insanity, living in WA: with gear after gear... Boats, prams, toons, an armada of rods from 3 wt to 12: single hand, two handers, switch. It's not juat about Steelhead it's about the pursuit. The tug is the drug! As long as it swims and can be caught I'll be there chasing them.
  10. Mark Moore Active Member

Vancouver, Wa.
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    :rofl::rofl:
  11. Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Sammamish, WA
    "Nymphed with a pink rubber worm and a pegged bead dropper"

that does not count, it is in the same league as humping your own sister.
    Congrats!
  12. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +150 / 1
    Congrats. That is why we fish. That right there. The smile on your face is priceless
  13. yellowlab Active Member

It was a joke boys... Don't get your panties in a bunch. I wish it was on the swing but got her nymphing with an ESL.
  14. tediousthumper Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin

Vancouver
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Good, good man! Today the fisherman won. The silver ghost was found. Alas we can breathe.
  15. Paul Huston Swinger

WalkingSpeedWater, Yelm Washington
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Congrats on the fish and the persistance to stick it out for a decade.
  16. Nate Dutton I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    hahahahahah sooooo TRUE!!!
  17. James Waggoner Active Member

wa
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    The first one is always the toughest...now quit wishing and go swing up a dream!

Congrats, James.
  18. Tony the Trout Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Congratz!!!! Gorgeous fish!!! 10 years? That is persistence. I believe the fishing gods owe you a few more. Keep it up. :)
  19. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    that's a pretty fish and a happy man in those pictures.
    I'm glad for you and it's cool you got such great shots.
    Was it a hot fish or did it give you the cutthroat crawl?
  20. yellowlab Active Member

Pretty hot hen, she took the line out 4 times and even when I had her almost beached darted back into the water and almost lost her in a couple of nearby downed trees. I was happy to see the hook firmly embedded in the roof of her mouth. Glad my buddy was there to click off the winning pics. Later that night we celebrated with some scotch, live Latin music, and some Fuentes Opus X cigars. I will frame that photo and shadowbox the fly and the cigar band to remember my first. I can't stop thinking about the next one. Bought two more rods and a host of marabou, ostrich plume, guinea, jungle cock, and other necessities fir my next challenge... On the swing!